PDA

View Full Version : Minor redemption with some wheats and complete buckle.

MangoAve
04-02-2015, 07:12 PM
On the 22nd I got out into the woods at a cellar hole I recently found. I was hoping it was a missed site, but it was still way too much snow. I only got two pieces of iron, most likely a hinge pin for a large gate and wire. Since I could only use all metal mode I just decided to give up and go home. The following Sunday I was hoping the snow was gone due to some rain during the week and warmer temps. Wrong. Again, two pieces of iron and I gave up. Yesterday I took advantage of the warm weather and hit a standing, but uninhabited 1752 house I got permission at. There was a lot of trash there. I saw it still had the stone posts out back. I only managed to score a clad dime and 4 memorials. One was even under a paving brick so you can imagine I scoured a bit. The layout of the yard was apparent when you are out in the back. I did get a lot of junk.
Today, tho, was even warmer temps so I went back there. This time I tried to stay away from the house and do the small field out back. There was a really big well, and some weird structures. I am thinking there were two areas for ox/cattle on each side of this structure. The first thing I got was a 45 shell. Then some more junk. I pulled out a huge chunk of lead. Since there was still a lot of junk I moved near where I think cars were parked.. since cars have been around. I finally pulled a 44 wheat.. then back for more memorials. Then a 51 wheat. Then finds stopped for a bit. The machine was telling me there was something like silver near those stone posts. Oddly enough there was a piece of iron around the depth the machine was ringing up, but always checking the hole I got something deeper, in the 6-8" range. There was a complete buckle. Crazy not more than 25 feet away from a wheat I get a relic that was 150-200 years older. After going back toward the structures I pulled up a huge piece. Some sort of cap. Hope it's not like another Hudson wheel cap. There was a piece of pottery and in case anyone wants to see what a mason jar lid looks like, it's in a pic. The white ceramic piece came out broken along with it. And for the pics.

del
04-02-2015, 07:34 PM
great looking fancy dress buckle Jim , bet you find some old coins there on your next trip.

CTTodd
04-02-2015, 07:52 PM
That's a nice looking buckle

Mountaindigger
04-02-2015, 08:11 PM
Outstanding finds and I am sure you will be finding a lot of good finds there.

Lodge Scent
04-02-2015, 08:29 PM
That is a cool buckle. Definitely has to be some more goodies in there.

Digger Don
04-02-2015, 10:55 PM
That buckle is really cool. We don't finds like that here in Illinois.
Great Hunt.

OxShoeDrew
04-03-2015, 03:36 AM
Nice job Jim...the snow should be gone in a few days.

MangoAve
04-03-2015, 09:40 AM
Thanks Dan, Todd, Don, Drew, Lodge, and Mountain. The place may be hiding more and hoping for better coins. Can't believe the first night I walk away with pennies mostly from the 70s. Then finally at least a darn wheat. But it's crazy to jump so far in dates to that buckle. Dan, I do believe you said somewhere this hobby is unpredictable. I also was unaware it was dressy. I noticed the little bit to the design and it being thin I didn't think it was robust for an every day use. Don, it seems you got more silver out there. Maybe not as old, but for some reason a few from out in the central states post about silver. Drew, in the woods? I've got like two piles in my yard thankfully. The place I went had one pile and just a little layer on south side by the tree line Which gets the least sun. I still got a penny where there was some snow/ice On the top layer.

aloldstuff
04-03-2015, 05:28 PM
Now that is a great looking buckle. The old coins are there, just hiding.

Bell-Two
04-03-2015, 09:31 PM
Nice buckle and I am confident that you will get some keeper coins.

kpmoose
04-04-2015, 10:03 PM
Congrats on that buckle Jim. Very cool. I'm hoping to find one myself this year.

MangoAve
04-06-2015, 09:03 AM
Bell and Al, there might be. A merc and a double gilt button were pulled out of there on Friday. It's a permission I lost due to ownership transfer (sale).

Kev, have you gotten out yet this year? I think this is def the first buckle I got where I am certain it's colonial.

kpmoose
04-06-2015, 02:02 PM
Kev, have you gotten out yet this year? I think this is def the first buckle I got where I am certain it's colonial.

Jim, I squeezed in my first hunt Saturday afternoon- a quick 2hr hunt before nightfall. Just got a heel plate and a horseshoe. We need to schedule a hunt together soon.

MangoAve
04-07-2015, 06:42 AM
Jim, I squeezed in my first hunt Saturday afternoon- a quick 2hr hunt before nightfall. Just got a heel plate and a horseshoe. We need to schedule a hunt together soon.

And so we shall. I did find a few places to ask permission at, nearby where you took Dave and Todd this past summer.