PDA

View Full Version : V3i vs MXT Pro

Epi-hunter
07-03-2010, 06:47 PM
I know this is sort of an apples-to-oranges comparison, but I would like to hear opinions from those who are familiar with these machines, in particular those who have used both.

I would have had an MXT a long time ago except I didn't like the single tone. Now they have added multitones on the new version.

So what are the pros and cons of the V3i vs the new MXT Pro? What would make you choose one over the other?

CyberSage
07-03-2010, 07:29 PM
I owned an MXT and pulled some really deep coins with it. I had an Indian Head at 9 to 10 inches with it using the D2 coil. I sold this detector to raise money for the V3. I always felt the only thing missing was the Tone ID. The tones are pretty basic like on the M6, but that's enough to get the job done. I would have liked to have seen more Tones. I think the ground tracking is the best ever developed by Whites. It is definitely superior to that of the V3's. The 15 kHz range frequency is really a great frequency. I wish the V3 had this instead of the 22.5, which is to high for coin hunting, and to low for nugget shooting. I really don't understand why this is frequency is was even considered for the V3. I would buy the MXT Pro in a heartbeat if I was not lusting after an E-Trac right now.

Jack

Lowjiber
07-03-2010, 08:45 PM
I haven't had the opportunity to use a MXT Pro. As most know, I love the MXT though and tone ID is a huge improvement to an already great machine.

Just my personal opinion though...I think the Visions are easier for a new detectorist to use. The MXT really excels when it's cranked up.

yazoo
07-03-2010, 08:51 PM
Has anyone went into the library on the V3i and tried the MXT program?And compared it to the MXT. Yazoo

ramases
07-04-2010, 08:08 AM
I owned an MXT and pulled some really deep coins with it. I had an Indian Head at 9 to 10 inches with it using the D2 coil. I sold this detector to raise money for the V3. I always felt the only thing missing was the Tone ID. The tones are pretty basic like on the M6, but that's enough to get the job done. I would have liked to have seen more Tones. I think the ground tracking is the best ever developed by Whites. It is definitely superior to that of the V3's. The 15 kHz range frequency is really a great frequency. I wish the V3 had this instead of the 22.5, which is to high for coin hunting, and to low for nugget shooting. I really don't understand why this is frequency is was even considered for the V3. I would buy the MXT Pro in a heartbeat if I was not lusting after an E-Trac right now.

Jack

22.5 is great in the UK for pulling out tiny thin hammered silver coins - could that be the reason - to add this functionality for non-US territories?

CyberSage
07-04-2010, 09:59 AM
22.5 is great in the UK for pulling out tiny thin hammered silver coins - could that be the reason - to add this functionality for non-US territories?

It was probably to try and get as close as possible to a machine that could do it all. So do you hunt in single frequency mode then? That would be a rush digging up something like that Ramases!

ramases
07-04-2010, 12:12 PM
It was probably to try and get as close as possible to a machine that could do it all. So do you hunt in single frequency mode then? That would be a rush digging up something like that Ramases!

Hiyer - I tend to start out in 3-freq mode (adding Salt when using a SEF to smooth things out) then pop into 22.5KHz to give any hotspots an extra going-over - usually with the 10&quot:grin:cheesysmile: and/or the 6x10. I've had a lot of hammered coins over the years but each one makes the heart beat a little faster when it becomes clear what it is!

kenfen
08-27-2010, 06:58 AM
The MXT was my first Whites machine and I liked it a lot until I got the DFX. It played second fiddle until I sold it. I do regret parting with it, but I got over it. The DFX is more than enough detector for me. IMHO, I would get the V3i because it's new technology and there are many improvements involved. I don't have one, but I will eventually get one. The MXT is quite nice and now with tones, even better, but I'd still go for the latest and greatest.

Whites doesn't sit on it's laurels, they are constantly working to push the envelope and I think that if you keep up with them, you'll be out front. Many people have said they found stuff with their V3i's in places they've hunted for a long time and thought these places to be hunted out.

That's proof enough for me. I'm no guru, these are just my opinions.

I hope that helps you, Regards, Ken

Lowjiber
08-27-2010, 08:15 AM
I've always thought the MXT needed two things...Tones and a SignaGraph.

xzlr8n
08-29-2010, 10:36 PM
When I use my MXT I can expect to dig deep iron on almost every hunt and I also feel I'm skipping over some signals in high trash areas because of the one tone (two if in relic mode). The MXT Pro with tone ID might be great in trash areas. The V3i with its 3 frequencies really helps decipher the the target's id before I dig. A high VDI target that is 2.5 Hz green dominant is usually copper or silver. If it is 22.5 blue dominant then it is usually iron, I do not know how the guys across the pond find silver with this 22.5 Hz frequency. Anyway, the MXT fools you every now and then with deep iron sounding like a good target and has no ability to further analyze to help you decide to dig or not (never tried Prospecting mode at this point to see iron probability). Not sure what Tone ID on the MXT Pro would do about this:huh: Relic mode is the only way to hunt with the MXT and at the brink of +2 to +3 gain to get good depth like Lowjiber stated. Ignore the grunts and look at the screen when you have a good beep, then decide to dig or not. At almost a grand less the MXT Pro will be a great turn on and go machine for about any detectorist out there.

Bain Dramage
10-17-2010, 04:06 PM
Though I know this is an older thread, I too suffer from the same dilemma.

I'm starting out in the hobby, and after research, decided on MXT Pro. Local dealer agreed it would be a terrific machine.

When I visited the dealer, I tried and like the MXT Pro. Then I asked about a couple of Minelabs and the V3i. Long story short, I tried the V3i in a demo field, and found the visual display (the three color-coded lines)extremely simple to follow. I'm a visual person, and when looking at the chart/graph on the V3i, I found I was able to accurately identify targets after about 5 minutes of practice.

Now, my wallet says go with the MXT Pro, and it is a wonderful detector - but my heart's longing for the V3i.

rcasio44
10-17-2010, 09:20 PM
I had 4 years with my MXT and I think I was very good with it. Like Lowjiber I ran it hot. I wouldn't have spent the extra money to upgrade to the PRO. The M6 like tones just wasn't that big an advantage. If I was buying a PRO I would be dealing to get a D2 instead of the 12, unless I was getting a second coil. Is the MXT a great detector, you bet. Would I sell my V and go back, NO. If money is a concern, you can't go wrong with a MXT. MHO Rob

Lowjiber
10-18-2010, 07:03 AM
Welcome to the forum and our mutual obsession.

You are correct in your assessment. The MXT (pro or otherwise) is a great machine. However, it doesn't give nearly as much visual information as the V.

With either machine, you'll enjoy hundreds of hours hunting and find plenty of help here. If you get the MXT, let me know and I'll send you some tips. If you go the V route, let me know and I'll send you The Book of Jack.

BHNugget
10-18-2010, 08:01 AM
I guess one other thing to consider,is that the V3i has an MXT program on it.As with any other program on the V3s,I would think you would be able to tweak it to what ever frequency, etc. that you wanted.

M-Taliesin
01-03-2011, 11:44 AM
Howdy Folks!
My own impression, being an owner of both an MXT 300 and MXT Pro, compared to the V3i that I also own is this:
There ain't much the V3i offers that the MXT machines can't match.
And for much less cost.

The V3/V3i is a gross disappointment in my view, and all the ballyhoo only increased the performance of Whites V3/V3i in taking money out of your wallet.

That may seem a harsh assessment, but them's the berries as I sees 'em.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Carl in Louisiana
01-03-2011, 05:45 PM
I have had the MXT and would love to buy the MXT Pro with all the new add ons especially the back light. The first V3 I owned was going down hill then I had the $125.00 i upgrade and it went even further down hill and it did it in a whole bunch of other languages heck I do good to speak English. rofl By that I mean it would not detect any deeper than 2 I tried all the factory pre-sets and my own program 2. That was a two hour drive from home to hunt CW Relics with a friend. >:\ White's then sent me another brand new V3i worked great for a few hunts then I went back to an area that I was using my program on before and I had to start all over adjusting things again. >:\ Well that did it for me I traded that sucker in on the TDI Pro and I am very happy I did. lol lol

CyberSage
01-03-2011, 09:31 PM
While the ground tracking of the MXT is superior to that of the V3/V3i it can not match the uncanny ability of the V3/V3i to find the good targets amongst trash. Masking is still an issue in my mind with the MXT. In the open it will match the V3i in depth, throw in a little trash and your out in left field with the MXT. Since I made my last post over 6 months ago on this thread I have matched and surpassed the depth that I achieved with the MXT.

channelmaniac
01-03-2011, 11:21 PM
I'm still partial to the DFX's Signagraph display and haven't figured out how to replicate that on the V3i. It sure does make a HUGE difference over the MXT for finding multiple targets in the same hole. You see them both on the screen!

MXT is easier for a novice or someone intimidated by a fully programmable detector as it's just a few knobs to twist. :)

giant056
01-04-2011, 05:50 AM
I still have my MXT and it still works great but I'm having too much fun with my V3i so my MXT has been play backup. I bring it along when hunting with someone who doesn't have a detector now and then.

Evan/tn
01-04-2011, 05:26 PM
I have the MXT and V3i and i find myself using the MXT more and more,it seems i dig deeper targets more often with it,and did i mention what a hassle free machine it is :peace: .

Evan/tn
01-09-2011, 10:20 AM
I brought a V3i.I worked with it every day.I read and reread the manual many,many times. I watched the video many,many times. There were parts in the manual that were questionable and needed more clarification.I asked questions and was promptly given page numbers of the manual to read.These pages were the pages i needed help on. I don't have perfect soil here in N/E PA. But the page tossing,computer electronics educated person (who is now a mod) expected me to understand the V by rubbing the pages of the manual on my forehead.
The V just wasn't any FUN. My MXT (which i traded in) was heaps of FUN.
I got rid of the V and bought the MXT Pro and i love it.It is a blast to use and soon i will be getting a DX-1 pointer for it because the Pro is set up to use the DX-1 (trigger forward locks it pro in pin point mode).

I did keep the NiMh batteries and the charger (those spoiled me :grin: ).. I highly recommed the MXT Pro.

I almost tossed the V3i and wireless headphones in my buring trash pile (so you know what i think about it and the so called Whites Forum Support ) PHOOEY ! :tongue:

Yep I recommend the MXT to everyone that asks me about detecters,it's just a great turn on and go that will see deep with the turn of a knob

RaZR
01-09-2011, 03:01 PM
I brought a V3i.I worked with it every day.I read and reread the manual many,many times. I watched the video many,many times. There were parts in the manual that were questionable and needed more clarification.I asked questions and was promptly given page numbers of the manual to read.These pages were the pages i needed help on. I don't have perfect soil here in N/E PA. But the page tossing,computer electronics educated person (who is now a mod) expected me to understand the V by rubbing the pages of the manual on my forehead.
The V just wasn't any FUN. My MXT (which i traded in) was heaps of FUN.
I got rid of the V and bought the MXT Pro and i love it.It is a blast to use and soon i will be getting a DX-1 pointer for it because the Pro is set up to use the DX-1 (trigger forward locks it pro in pin point mode).

I did keep the NiMh batteries and the charger (those spoiled me :grin: ).. I highly recommed the MXT Pro.

I almost tossed the V3i and wireless headphones in my burning trash pile (so you know what i think about it and the so called Whites Forum Support ) PHOOEY ! :tongue:

Kewl!

Toadman
01-14-2011, 05:50 PM
I dig all targets that are not iron, So the old style mxt is all i need. no need to play around with a new machine for me..

Lowjiber
01-14-2011, 06:22 PM
My $0.02 worth on the two machines...

I've used the MXT for a long time and feel like it's part of me on a hunt. I bought one of the very first Visions to hit the market and, with a lot of help from folks like Jack, I've come to like it a lot.

Before moving to Nevada, I was a member of an Evidence Recovery Team in Santa Clara County, California. When I went out with the police to recover evidence, I left the V at home...the MXT is simply a faster, on-the-fly-adjustment machine.

However, the SpectraGraph and the ability to tailor the V3i to a wide range of hunting demands has made it my primary machine. With freq offset, the V3i handles EMI better than the MXT. Adjustable filtering is an absolute necessity in the highly mineralized soil conditions that I encounter in the western states.

So, I'm on the fence between the two machines. I consider myself a bit of an expert with the MXT, but have climbed the (somewhat steep) learning curve of the V3i pretty well. I wouldn't consider getting rid of either one.

giant056
01-15-2011, 02:03 AM
I seen a couple comments on diggin iron, I've been diggin them square nails since I've owned VLF's. The only detector I ever used that really discriminated iron completely (small forged pieces of iron especially) was my TR5000D it isn't a VLF either it's G.E.B. non motion detector with discrimination.

coinnut
01-19-2011, 07:12 PM
I seen a couple comments on diggin iron, I've been diggin them square nails since I've owned VLF's. The only detector I ever used that really discriminated iron completely (small forged pieces of iron especially) was my TR5000D it isn't a VLF either it's G.E.B. non motion detector with discrimination.

That's still a VLF I think :confused: G.E B. was for ground exclusion balance and I think it operated at a very low frequency (VLF) Like 3K? I bet you never found many nickels with it lol My 5000d wouldn't go very deep. crying01 Wasn't it the first discriminator from White's?? That was a long time ago :yes:

russellt
01-21-2011, 06:23 PM
i think its a matter of personal taste. ive heard alot of people say that the mxt is a turn on and go type machine that goes deep. the V go deep too, and in my estimation is an aquired taste . i cant say which is better. maybe ill go to tennesee and hunt with evan if he'll let me swing his mxt..

exsquid
01-26-2011, 10:23 AM
i think its a matter of personal taste. ive heard alot of people say that the mxt is a turn on and go type machine that goes deep. the V go deep too, and in my estimation is an aquired taste.

Russels comments are, I believe, close to my thoughts....
I bought an MXT and just :smitten: it! man what a great machine. Planned on keeping it for good. But my original plan was still to add a detector that had programming abilities so I purchased a DFX. I have to say that after spending much time with it I am very impressed and love the ability to tune it for a particular spot... It's a good thing though, as I suspect that if you don't know how to drive it you may end up missing some good finds....

Then out of the blue White's introduces the V3 and later the V3i. Boy how I would like to have one of those but don't have the dollars to do that. If I did not have the MXT and DFX I would have headed that way first. So I keep at it learning and loving my two detectors.

Than once again White's surprises us all with the release of the MXT Pro...
Low and behold it has the very features that I longed for with my MXT...soooo, as soon as I could pull it off I purchased the MXT Pro. (commercial break...my MXT is available in the classified section :yes:)

I still have dreams of getting a V3i someday to replace the DFX or its next generation if it is out before I purchase the replacement.

You see, my thoughts push me to have two different detectors each having huge advantages over the other for different scenerios... It would take a bit of discussion to explain my logic so we will leave it to another thread... in this case, I love choices when I show up at a spot... thumbsup01

M-Taliesin
01-27-2011, 08:45 AM
Howdy Again Folks!
For the money paid, the MXT Pro eats the V3i's lunch!
And it is much more fun to work with in the field.
The V3/V3i claimed to be a Turn on and go machine.
That ain't really true, so far as I am concerned.

I've had thoughts lately of taking my V3/V3i down to the gun range and see how it holds up to .40 cal rounds!
It might prove more suitable as a target than a machine for finding targets. At least that would make it good for something.

Since I've gotten the V3/V3i (original machine then upgraded to v3i) it hasn't proven satisfactory.
I am in it to find gold and silver and have fun doing it.
The V3/V3i ain't fun. It is a colossal PIA. I didn't buy it because I wanted to spend all my spare time trying to learn how to make it work halfway decent. I bought it because it promised performance. The only performance it has gotten lately is the outstanding ability it has to gather dust in my closet.

When I want a noise maker, I'll wait for New Years Day and buy them a whole lot cheaper than a V3/V3i.
When I want a machine that delivers reliable and accurate performance without the need to hold an advanced degree in electronics or physics, I'll grab my MXT Pro.

Whatever issues might affect my MXT, they aren't as bothersome as the many that plague the V3i.
The bottom line is hunting and finding good targets. It ain't spending all my time reading and re-reading the manual just to make it work as good as an MXT. For every hour I spend trying to work with the V3/V3i, it is an hour I am NOT finding gold or silver.

Thems the berries folks!
Whats in it for you?
The MXT Pro is tough to beat at about 1/2 the cost of a V3/V3i, and will really provide terrific results. Unlike, for the average user, the V3/V3i.

The V3/V3i offers a whole lot of promise, but only if you are willing to sacrifice a whole lot of time and energy to make it work half as well as an MXT!

Because of my gross disappointment in the V3/V3i, and other issues like the White's forum, my next machine is likely to be from Garretts! Either a GTI 2500 or AT Pro, or both. But no more White's! They've convinced me that my money is better spent on reliable machines that work right, straight from the box, than squandering valuable hunting time trying to learn how to make the V3/V3i work at a mediocre level!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

MartinL
01-27-2011, 01:35 PM
Mel,

The thing you said about having a lot of time to learn it and make it work...MAKE it work!...I agree and I also wonder how anyone who owns one will ever know that are working top performance. Also, I suspect that if and when you do get to know the machine, will that knowledge remain without you being a daily of 2-3 times a week THr? I hunt, but it's not totally dominant of my weekly time. Winters for most means they'll be waiting for months to hunt,,,will they retain what they learned? Just about any sophisticated electronic devise demands continued exposure to remain learn'ed in their capabilities. Bottom line is that the V3i is HARDLY for most anybody, meaning that the V3i is going to always be a major PITA in my personal opinion, for probably over 90% of hunters. Frankly your one of the hunters I'd always figured would deal with it and make many super finds. Your V3i should be totally replaced for free if White's did the smart thing. They need to satisfy you. If they won't replace it, then they should at least issue an RMA for pickup at their expense, and get you a good working V3i back. Whites has already had yours in twice...three times is totally unreal. I also understand that even some of the so-called gurus went to an MXT Pro and let their V3i detectors go to someone else. I won't name names but it's true. The MXT Pro would have been my purchase if I had it to do over again, no doubt. martin

coinnut
01-27-2011, 04:32 PM
Machines are getting more complex everyday. We need that sometimes to find the remaining targets in a hard hit area. I too had my eyes on a new machine from White's, but the E Trac came out first, so I bought it. Then the Vision came out and I was mad because I didn't have another 1500 bucks to drop on a machine :ticked: But after reading about the way the machine is set up, I knew it was not for me. I believe I can do at least as good with my E Trac and I don't have to worry about EMI or changing a lot of settings for each hunt. I rarely change anything on my E Trac and I do fairly well with it. But I believe, if you are the kind of person that likes to delve into and adjust everything on your machine, you will be very happy with it.

But to stick a bit closer to the original post, I would take a MXT pro over a V3i in a heartbeat. At least for me, I would do better with it, I'm guessing.

pulltabsteve
01-27-2011, 06:44 PM
I use the Whites M6 for 99% of my hunts. I like the tones. I have come to realize I dont like playing with settings while I hunt. I own the V3i and MXT also. I sold my DFX and TDI. If I owned the MXT Pro, that might end up as my go to machine. So to answer the question, The MXT Pro would get my vote. :peace: <: