PDA

View Full Version : First hunt, first real signal, first silver of 2015. Silverware trifecta!

Trooper Bri
04-04-2015, 06:49 PM
I almost got knocked over a couple times by the wind today, but it was great to get out!

Got an invite from a guy named Mark in one of the Facebook detecting groups I haunt. He and his son Rob have been hitting an old farm that's now just open fields for public use. Maybe 25 or 30 acres. He's gotten some cool finds from there, despite knowing a detecting club has whacked the place previously. We met at noon, which is when the weather was supposed to clear out. Obviously it cleared out sooner. Oh well.

Poked around a bit then headed out. It was real trashy near the road and where the house(s) had been. I could hear can slaw and other crap. Wandered for maybe 15 or 20 minutes, mostly ignoring the crap I was hearing, and finally got a good tone on the V3i. Target was a bit big, so I was braced for aluminum crap.
Nope, silver in the hole! I could see the fat handle of a spoon. Oh boy, time to get up and dance! It's heavy, and has a monogram. I'll have to decypher the makers marks on the back when I get time.

Dug a lot of crap, managed a 2'nd spoon (silver plated), then got another good signal. Heart-stopper for a second when I saw a curved edge and a lot of patina. Turned out to be the edge of what looks like a ladies compact perhaps. It's drying out still, so I'll get better pics up.

Back to digging a combination of park/farm crunk. Managed a wheat penny in there somewhere, but it was my only coin. So, after about 3 hours, I got my 2'nd low 80's tone. Same deal, a bit big. Cringe #2. Fork #1, dance #2!
A heavy sterling children's fork with a Jack & Jill scene cast into the handle. And more makers marks on the back. Woohoo!

I start wandering the return trip to the car, still digging crap, and went on a silverware blitz. Infant's fork (i think) all folded up, another spoon missing it's plating, and what looks like a measuring spoon all bent up. Then maybe 10 minutes from the car, it happens again. Low 80's and kind of a large target. Could it be? Yup. Dance #3!
Stubby handle with a large bowl. Sugar spoon, or some small serving spoon I'm guessing. Very cool.

A trash or treasure day for sure. All that silver cam with a price though. My car sank into the soft field we were parked in. Thankfully Mark was ready for it and once he got his truck unstuck, we strapped to the rear of the frame and pulled me out. Hoping the weather plays nice Tuesday and Wednesday so I can get out again. Thanks for reading and HH.

Trooper Bri
04-04-2015, 07:16 PM
Here's a close-up of the Jack & Jill spoon.

don in ny
04-04-2015, 07:37 PM
That's one heck of a bunch of silver. Last year I found 2 heavy forks near each other and was thrilled. That must make you double thrilled. Nice going.

OxShoeDrew
04-04-2015, 08:30 PM
I sure would be thrilled to find my first silver utensil, never mind three!! :omg: I hope you can identify some makers....great job!

Isaac
04-04-2015, 08:44 PM
WOW!!! Three in one hunt!!!! :shocked03: Amazing finds Bri!

Trooper Bri
04-04-2015, 08:56 PM
Thanks guys. I was happy to scratch silver tableware off my list. Doing it two more times was unreal.
It was a long day Drew and I wanted to post up before work calls tomorrow. I'm going to take better pics of the makers marks tomorrow as well.

GA1dad
04-04-2015, 09:02 PM
Very nice finds Bri!!

aloldstuff
04-05-2015, 08:27 AM
Brian, super nice hunt. You managed to get three items in one hunt that have eluded me, a complete silver spoon or fork. Had to work yesterday and that wind was something else.....:congrats:on your keepers.

Digger Don
04-05-2015, 09:37 AM
What an interesting hunt. Congrats on all your finds, but my favorite by far, is the Jack & Jill fork. Awesome Find :perfect10:

RIdirtdigger
04-05-2015, 10:36 AM
Three sterling silverware items??? I've never heard of that version of the trifecta but that's awesome! Great hunt

Trooper Bri
04-05-2015, 05:55 PM
Dug out my eye loop and looked up the maker's marks on the spoon and fork after work tonight.

The spoon was made by The Gorham Co. out of Rhode Island. I'm having a tough time dating it. I'm guessing the H is the classification. Heavy in this case. So I know it can't be any younger than the 40's. The closest match I could find in the maker's mark designs (square around the anchor) could put it as old as the 1870's. I'm new to identifying spoons, so who knows.

The Jack & Jill fork is easier. The Watson & Briggs Company out of Attleboro, MA. They were founded in the mid-30's.

del
04-06-2015, 02:45 PM
thats a lot of silver Brian and I can't recall seeing some one with a silver utensil trifecta :notworthy: love the Jack & Jill themed fork :smitten:

The Rebel
04-06-2015, 06:19 PM
WTG on the Silver Utensils. That Jack & Jill is very cool!

MIKE54
04-06-2015, 07:56 PM
Wow, Bri,time to go on a picnic! Those are some great finds.

Tony Two-Cent
04-08-2015, 08:38 AM
That was an amazing hunt, Brian! I have never found a single piece of sterling silverware and you found THREE of them in one hunt!

That Jack & Jill fork is really special. It's one of the neatest finds I've seen posted on this forum. I really love it!

:congrats:

Lodge Scent
04-11-2015, 07:35 AM
Heck of a hunt! I've dug dozens and dozens of utensils but only two were solid silver. Three in one day is remarkable :congrats:

wisconsin digger
04-12-2015, 08:09 AM
Nice hunt. I can't say I ever recall finding any silverware. Greta haul. WD

PL8MAN
04-12-2015, 07:12 PM
Great finds !