PDA

View Full Version : Fancy brass buckle

Robbie
04-08-2015, 04:16 PM
I went back to the farm today for a short hunt, and this was about the only thing that I found interesting

CTTodd
04-08-2015, 05:06 PM
Very nice. Is that a complete piece or a fragment ?

Robbie
04-08-2015, 05:09 PM
The pins gone, but other than that the details show.

Robbie
04-08-2015, 05:32 PM
I`m sorry, It looks complete other than the pin:embarrassed:. What would you say the date could be? It`s the most detailed buckle I`ve found.

Isaac
04-08-2015, 07:04 PM
Wow that looks early. even 1600s early. Know anything about the field? Congrats !

Bell-Two
04-08-2015, 07:28 PM
That is really a pretty one.

BTV Digger
04-08-2015, 08:38 PM
Definitely a keeper.

John

donald sutphin
04-09-2015, 12:43 AM
Nice buckle!!vanzutphen

del
04-09-2015, 04:08 AM
Robbie can you post a picture of it with something to give it a size , and also the underneath looks to have a beveled edge around the squarish opening can you post a close up , i want to see if there are file marks .

Robbie
04-09-2015, 07:14 AM
Robbie can you post a picture of it with something to give it a size , and also the underneath looks to have a beveled edge around the squarish opening can you post a close up , i want to see if there are file marks .
Here`s more pics with a quarter for size. I don`t know how to get a closer shot. I can use windows media player to zoom in ,but I don`t know how to send them.

Lodge Scent
04-09-2015, 09:54 AM
That's got my interest piqued.

Pacivilwarluke
04-09-2015, 10:10 AM
That looks pretty old! Very interesting, hope to see it dated/ID'd!

del
04-09-2015, 02:18 PM
Robbie the very first picture you posted up top was your best (it had better lighting) can you redo that but on the backside of the buckle . these buckles were cast in a mold and usually the backsides were a bit rougher and was filed down in areas . how far back does the history go where you recovered this buckle ??

Robbie
04-09-2015, 04:06 PM
Robbie the very first picture you posted up top was your best (it had better lighting) can you redo that but on the backside of the buckle . these buckles were cast in a mold and usually the backsides were a bit rougher and was filed down in areas . how far back does the history go where you recovered this buckle ??
Here`s another pic with the marker of the approx. location.

del
04-10-2015, 01:14 AM
Robbie I don't need the location just an "about" time frame when the earliest settlers were around that area is all. The buckle is one of them ones that look "older" but may not neccessarily be older. so i'm looking for clues to its age is all , like file marks on the underside beveled areas on the inside of the square opening . I'm just not seeing the item with enough light on to tell.

Dan

Robbie
04-10-2015, 05:50 AM
Well,Dan, I`m not giving up may exact spot, because I don`t everyone to take my new fishing hole. But as you can see, this area was first settled on in 1681. I`m sorry I can`t get a closer shot to show you more details. The back is rough cut. I think it`s very fine piece. The fanciest buckle that I`ve ever found. Thanks for taking interest in it.

del
04-10-2015, 06:27 AM
Robbie it very well could be a late 1600's to early 1700's era buckle , I just like to be sure before I would call it that . You have the piece in hand take a look at this page and the 13 others on single loop buckles and judge for yourself . there are many similarities (splayed feet , rough looking cast and molded notch cut out for the iron tongue) . let me know what you think.

http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ukdfddata/showcat.php?cat=175&page=1

Dan

MangoAve
04-10-2015, 06:28 AM
Interesting. Shouldn't the tercentenary be in 1981, not thirteen years earlier? I noticed, like Dan, that it was definitely a cast piece. Obviously there is a reason the buckle was lost, so it is possible it broke. But if it was a complete buckle, it is surprising the pin deteriorated while the buckle stayed intact. Pin made of iron?

Robbie
04-10-2015, 11:55 AM
Robbie it very well could be a late 1600's to early 1700's era buckle , I just like to be sure before I would call it that . You have the piece in hand take a look at this page and the 13 others on single loop buckles and judge for yourself . there are many similarities (splayed feet , rough looking cast and molded notch cut out for the iron tongue) . let me know what you think.

http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ukdfddata/showcat.php?cat=175&page=1

Dan
You wrote a tread about a month or so ago about ( keeping your unknowns). You shared this link than and I have already looked through them all and I haven't found the exact match. The only one closest to mine dates 1500-1650 (way before this area dates). Also there made of copper alloy. Mine looks like brass. Here are more pics that I took outside using natural light. Does this help? Also could it be a shoe buckle?

del
04-10-2015, 02:27 PM
Robbie , "copper alloy" is what the Brits call any metal composition that contains copper mixed with other metals this includes brass (which is copper and zinc) . your buckle is definitely not a shoe buckle but still could be as old as mid to late 1600's . the pictures are much better and the buckle looks very crudely cast on the backside .

Dan

MangoAve
04-10-2015, 04:02 PM
Dan,

They didn't have many alloys back then, did they? I think it was mid 1800s when more metals were introduced into productions. Along with the industrial revolution and idk how many times in chemistry class reading stuff discovered around then. As in nickel was used back since 3500 BC, but it wasn't until the 1800s it was utilized for things and 1889 was used with iron for steel. Coins started being made from alloys around mid 1800s. (Minted coins vs counterfeits). The majority of elements were classified later. There were only 33 known chemical elements in 1789.

Anyway, I was gonna say it is possible to think items made beforehand would have come into to the area. They would have had clothes coming with them before it was settled and before any trading area or textile mill set up.

del
04-10-2015, 04:19 PM
Anyway, I was gonna say it is possible to think items made beforehand would have come into to the area. They would have had clothes coming with them before it was settled and before any trading area or textile mill set up.

Jim it is very plausible that early settlers brought many old family heirlooms out with them , this could have even included coin or spoon collections , jewelry , clothing that may have even had buckles and buttons that were scores of years or generations older.

Robbie
04-10-2015, 07:31 PM
Robbie , "copper alloy" is what the Brits call any metal composition that contains copper mixed with other metals this includes brass (which is copper and zinc) . your buckle is definitely not a shoe buckle but still could be as old as mid to late 1600's . the pictures are much better and the buckle looks very crudely cast on the backside .

Dan

Dan, I`m still learning, and I`m finding something new/old everyday .Thanks for your in-site. So when can I hit the banner?:grin:

del
04-10-2015, 07:43 PM
Dan, I`m still learning, and I`m finding something new/old everyday .Thanks for your in-site. So when can I hit the banner?:grin:

Robbie , its certainly an interesting item and if it was in fact a late mid to late 1600's buckle and we could prove it , it would most likely already be up there . keep detecting in that area you pull up another older item it just might confirm this one. The great thing about this hobby is you keep learning (I know I still do) new things and as for the banner I have no doubt you'll hit it more then a few times .

Dan

Robbie
04-14-2015, 06:46 PM
Robbie , its certainly an interesting item and if it was in fact a late mid to late 1600's buckle and we could prove it , it would most likely already be up there . keep detecting in that area you pull up another older item it just might confirm this one. The great thing about this hobby is you keep learning (I know I still do) new things and as for the banner I have no doubt you'll hit it more then a few times .

Dan

Well. I guess this is another piece that`s gets set aside ,not knowing how old it is? You have seen my farm finds ,right ? I`ll keep searching. Thanks.