PDA

View Full Version : Living in Corpus Christi and not detecting

CBnKansas
07-04-2010, 09:29 AM
Down here working at Corpus Christi Naval Air Stattion (NASCC) and have not made it to the beach with my MD. I stopped along the road and hit a shell and broken glass area but the machine was a little crazy. I could not remember how to put it in beach mode (Minelab X-70). I took it to the Nation beach at Padre Island but they have a big we hate medal detectors sign at the gate. I have yet to see anyone swinging at the beach on Ocean Drive between the back gate and downtown. If anyone in the area has some tips please let me know. I will have plenty of time once I get a semi-permanant place to live while I am here. I don't want to end up heading back to Kansas in a few months with no sand on my detector.

cb - not in kansas

Lowjiber
07-04-2010, 11:26 AM
Is that Holiday Inn still on Ocean Drive not far outta the back gate? I used to hit the beach from there down toward town...back in the mid-80's.

CBnKansas
07-05-2010, 07:23 PM
Not much public access I can see from the back gate until the USS Lexington. The big chain hotels look to have their beaches contained but I have not actually been down to the sand. I really hope to hunt the public beach on the edge of all that when I can. Started to head down there yesterday but since it was the 4th I decided not to try. Maybe soon.

cb

sectshun8
07-06-2010, 04:18 AM
I lived there from like ohhhh 83-87, my dad was stationed at the base there. That whole area would be full of drunken sailor change, srping break money, and who knwos what else.

Wish I had more advice to give on on locations, but best of luck thumbsup01

CBnKansas
07-06-2010, 08:50 AM
Luck is what I need since skill is in short supply at the moment. I did figure out how get my machine in beach mode and read some post on salt water MDing with the X-70. There is a beach on base that I need to find. I am planning on hitting a pubic beach this morning and seeing what I can find. I will consider this a training outing.
cb