PDA

View Full Version : A tough few hunts but got some relics

MangoAve
04-13-2015, 08:02 AM
Got out for quite a bit this weekend... quite obvi if I am posting about finds. Lol. Saturday got out with Mike and Kev. First was an old camp. I believe the only coin to come up was a memorial for a camp that existed back to early 1900s. I got a bunch of those ceramic insulators for inside. The bare wires were still attached. Shows the age of the place when wires were being run as single conductor bare wires. I also pulled up this Weird glass piece. It had a spring around the base but it was rather deteriorated, but the base is brass. We then hit two cellar holes that were pounded. First one there are dimes being pulled... clad dimes. I got a sabot. The second hole was picked clean too. It was an old place with a central chimney. Twice I stumbled upon snakes. The black racer was calm and just sunbathing. The garter was just scared. The last target I got was near to the truck, by the wall of the edge of what I presume driveway. The last find was a Hubley cap gun which is really ornate. Made sometime between 1920 and 1965.

Sunday was a lazy morning. I was aware I wouldn't get out until noon. As I was on my way I saw the occupants outside so I pulled over and obtained a permission. I was eyeing a near by place. The assessor has it at 1920, but there is a well outside and the guy told me 1820. There was a harness shop there so I am hoping to pull some nice stuff from there in the coming weeks. I am wondering now if the guy was thinking "who is this fool pulling up like this?" Lol. The spot I wanted to check had a lot of cellar holes. I was there before but the last time it was still too much snow and the ground was way to wet. Where the old road forks there was a small area. Either a small pen or a lawn. I pulled up some sort of brass pin with copper-like and sapphire-like colors. I have no idea about it tho. The houses were gone sometime around the depression era but it is hiked often. I also managed a D buckle. Both were "lower" tones so either people passed over them or had them discriminated out. Hoping this tid-bit doesn't make it far otherwise I won't even find the scraps at these sites.
46768 4676546766

Tony Two-Cent
04-13-2015, 08:31 AM
Interesting post and finds. I really like that enameled pin, I bet it's from the 1920s or thereabouts. Nice!

Best of luck at your new permission. I hope you find some goodies there! :yes:

RIdirtdigger
04-13-2015, 09:46 AM
Hope the new permission gets you some goodies. Those tax assessor house dates seem to always be wrong, I'm always a little hesitant to trust them. Never seen a snake out in the woods yet and hope not to. Anyway at least you got something at those pounded holes. HH

OxShoeDrew
04-13-2015, 11:02 AM
I managed to get out for a couple hours yesterday and will post up later. I'd like to hunt with you guys this week but I'm working up my stamina :) I also like that artdeco plate thingy.

Lodge Scent
04-13-2015, 11:17 AM
Nice ! I'd rather see snakes than ticks.

denny2w
04-13-2015, 03:22 PM
Nice ! I'd rather see snakes than ticks.

Agree SEE yes, but bite no...

del
04-13-2015, 09:48 PM
I'll take those snakes over bugs any day Jim maybe we can get out this saturday with Brian .

MangoAve
04-14-2015, 07:02 AM
I trust you on the date of pin, Tony. Lol. I have no clue. Tony/Jim, I have three permissions already to follow up on. Altho I was wondering what was going on yesterday as I drove home. I saw a car parked at a lot with a 'cellar hole'. It is for sale. Could have been owner. They were by their car for a while so I am hoping it wasnt a detectorist poaching on my territory. lol. I don't have the one I am referring to, but I went to the owner twice now and no one answered the door. So I have tried before this person was there. ugh.

Drew, you take a while to come out of hibernation? lol.

I believe only once around here I heard a rattling in a bush... that one I wouldn't like to see. Gnats and mosquitoes annoy me the most, but I sure dont like ticks. As long as I can get them off before they bite. Garters are supposed to be poisnous, but only to whatever they can swallow. Their fangs are too far back. I wasn't worried about the racer, it was quite docile but I still had to check the answer box to what it was first.

Jim maybe we can get out this saturday with Brian .

I shall make myself avail, Dan. Keep me posted on things, hopefully no more auto repair you need to take care of, and let me know what help I can provide.

Bell-Two
04-15-2015, 05:49 AM
A new permission is always great for the anticipation...sorta like a first date...promises in the offing! Good start I bet there is more there!

MangoAve
04-15-2015, 08:46 AM

Pacivilwarluke
04-16-2015, 01:00 PM
Very cool pin! I don't mind snakes as long as they don't mind me haha! :) good luck at your harness shop site, hopefully you'll pull a bunch of finds! HH!

aloldstuff
04-16-2015, 04:52 PM
Nice enameled pin and good luck at your permissions. I have to agree, snakes okay, bugs gotta go.