PDA

View Full Version : Four Types of Cents

OxShoeDrew
04-13-2015, 12:35 PM
I was up before the sun today to get a few hours in (:cheesysmile:) before I had to repair the gutters and rake the garden :(.
I was at a hole that was still standing as late as 1970. You never know what to expect from places like that.
I guess that brick oven looking structure was a root cellar? It was at the top of the highest point on the property. I found a memorial at 5in right in front of that thing.
The draped is 1802, the indian 1884, six wheats were in one hole, two were singles (1919-54)...and the one memorial is not pictured.
I just sped through the site and came up with all this loot. I'm going to spend some slow time there with a small coil to try to coerce some more coinage to surface. Thanks!
PS my new belt holder for my new shovel broke on its second hunt WAAAAA :girlcry:

GA1dad
04-13-2015, 01:05 PM
SWEET!!! Nice finds Drew!!

Lodge Scent
04-13-2015, 04:01 PM
That's quite the mixed bag of finds there Drew. Because you are not sure if that is a root cellar or not, I think you are obligated to dig the whole thing out and show us what's at the bottom. ;)

RIdirtdigger
04-13-2015, 06:28 PM
The recently abandoned cellars can be booms or busts. I'd say this one was a boom (but it came with a bust). Nice hunt, nevertheless, glad to see you finally getting out there more often. HH

The Rebel
04-13-2015, 06:39 PM
WTG Drew, love that broach! That looks like a kiln of some sort.

MangoAve
04-14-2015, 06:48 AM
Are you sure someone hasn't just been there since to drop the memorial? Nice that you got the largie. Sad tho the details weren't so great on it. That pendant almost looks like it's opal.

Because you are not sure if that is a root cellar or not, I think you are obligated to dig the whole thing out and show us what's at the bottom. ;)

Haha. I concur.

don in ny
04-14-2015, 11:01 AM
Way to go Drew! Love those draped bust LC's.

OxShoeDrew
04-14-2015, 02:08 PM
Thank you guys! Thanks Jim....It does look like an opal...but not shiney. I wonder if the shine wears off after 100 yrs in the ground...?

OxShoeDrew
04-15-2015, 10:05 AM
5th type of cent this morning from this site. She's a looker!

Lodge Scent
04-15-2015, 11:15 AM
She is a looker Drew :congrats: I am willing to bet there are plenty more at the bottom of that cellar just waiting to be dug out.;)

OxShoeDrew
04-15-2015, 12:15 PM
Thanks Jeff...Have you tried sifting cellar holes? I made a sifter last year but haven't really tried it yet.

Digger Don
04-15-2015, 01:32 PM
Congrats Drew. Looks like you found a good spot there.
Nice variety of Cents.

HEAVYMETALNUT
04-15-2015, 02:09 PM
your off to a great start!

Lodge Scent
04-15-2015, 02:50 PM
Thanks Jeff...Have you tried sifting cellar holes? I made a sifter last year but haven't really tried it yet.

I haven't tried sifting yet Drew. I am waiting to strike it rich then I will hire a couple of guys to do all the digging while I sift out all the great finds. :cheesysmile:

Seriously though, if my back was 30 years younger, I would be digging and sifting right now. I believe we have only literally and figuratively skimmed the surface with our detectors.

aloldstuff
04-15-2015, 03:07 PM
Some great finds there Drew. Always can appreciate it when someone gets themselves a draped bust and that 1833 LC looks absolutely beautiful. Dang the gutters and garden....get back out there man.

:congrats:on all your keepers

Bell-Two
04-15-2015, 06:57 PM
Wonderful looking coins it seems you have a good site!

MangoAve
04-16-2015, 06:22 AM
Don't touch that matron!! Lol. I know ya said you won't try to clean it. There's one I have seen pulled out in even better shape within the past few weeks, but this one is still great.

Interesting conecpt. Might actually be beneficial due to how much junk and junk iron masking. Idk if I would try it or not. You don't cover much area that way but you do get deeper and possibly the masked targets. Hmm... only beneficial near the home entrance way, if you can determine from the foundation? carrying a sifter all the way out in the woods? ..and the debate has begun.

Tony Two-Cent
04-16-2015, 07:57 AM
Congrats on the wonderful finds, Drew! I can't even imagine finding a draped bust large cent. I hope you guys out east appreciate how lucky you are to have so much history to find. :thumbsup01:

And wow, check out the amazing detail on that 1833 Matron! EXQUISITE! :smitten:

:congrats:

Pacivilwarluke
04-16-2015, 11:23 AM
Neat picture of theroot cellar! Love the variety of cents, your new cent addition is a looker! :)