PDA

View Full Version : Tough weekend, but scratched a silver off the list.

Trooper Bri
04-14-2015, 09:49 AM
Headed out Saturday morning for a few hours to check out the farm house permission (Beth) I got while snowthrowing this winter. Since the extended family also lives right around Beth's house, I can now hit the house across the street, and can hit the small hay field they rent until it starts growing, then I'm booted until autumn.

So, that's where I got started since the clock is ticking, I can hit the houses anytime. Beth claims the field may date to the 1700's, but I didn't find any evidence of that yet.
I did find evidence of lots of can slaw and typical iron crunk from a field. A back corner of the field held what little finds I got. A 57 wheatie, couple small buckles, a button, and my 1'st seated dime! Woohoo! Next stop, capped bust dime (not so easy).

Cleaned up with a little Meguiar's #17 plastic polish.

Sunday I planned on going back to the Spoonland field. The guys from FaceBook (Mark and his son Robert) hit it while I was at the farm, and did well with the silver again, including this beautiful 1929 SLQ.

While I'm getting my stuff together, Lee shoots me a text asking if I'm free, so invited him along since Spoonland is close to his house. Also got a call from Mark, they had a couple hours and couldn't resist a chance for more goodies. So it wound up being all four of us for a while.
Tough day for me. I dug 4 more spoons, 3 silver plated, one stainless, and a lot of crap. No goodies. Lee did slightly better I think. A crusty pocket watch, large artillery round (live!), and other crunk. Mark and Rob did better. A couple sterling silverware pieces (including a plain version of the Jack & Jill child's for I found, same maker's mark), and some sort of military collar pin. Looked to be in good shape too.

Not my best weekend of digging, but I'll take the bucket list silver and time with friends in the sun. I'll be back at it somewhere tomorrow once this weather clears. Thanks for reading!

don in ny
04-14-2015, 10:05 AM
A big congrats on the seated dime. I love finding seated coinage. I've found the set minus the seated dollar, but have yet to find any bust coinage. With all the reals and large cents I've found I thought I might have hit one by now. Good luck in your quest.

GA1dad
04-14-2015, 12:07 PM
Good stuff Bri,, I watched the vid!!

RIdirtdigger
04-14-2015, 12:37 PM
Congrats on the seated dime. That's a really great find. I bet there's still some more stuff out there to be found

OxShoeDrew
04-14-2015, 02:05 PM
Congrats on the seated dime. That's a really great find. I bet there's still some more stuff out there to be found I agree, seems like you have a nice spot there, congrats and I wish you continued success!

Lodge Scent
04-14-2015, 06:50 PM
Looks like a good weekend to me !

del
04-14-2015, 06:56 PM
great weekend Brian mega congrats on the seated my friend :cheering:

HEAVYMETALNUT
04-15-2015, 07:17 AM
nice finds!

Bell-Two
04-15-2015, 07:07 PM
Congrats Trooper on the seated!

aloldstuff
04-15-2015, 08:06 PM
Commented on your video but for anybody who finds their 1st seated they get a second comment. Again, huge :congrats:on your seated and I hope many more.

I have a field (corn) that I did for years and that one field probably produced 8 seated dimes and 1 1/2 dime.

Ill Digger
04-15-2015, 09:21 PM
A seated coin would make my whole weekend! :groovy:
Congrats!! :grin:
Man thats a lotta silverware from a spot.:thinkingabout:

Pacivilwarluke
04-15-2015, 09:47 PM
Your first seated and an SLQ thrown in for good measure, now that's a great weekend! Congrats!!!! That capped bust can't be too far away, Good luck! :)

MangoAve
04-16-2015, 06:54 AM
I'd rather be a spoon magnet than an axe head magnet. I know of a place referred to as spoon land, but I have not seen any evidence of a business for such on the old map so idk why it was called that. Nice bit of silver. The SlQ has a pronounced date on it. Obvi the seated is your oldest silver so far.

Tony Two-Cent
04-16-2015, 07:47 AM
Congrats on your first Seated Dime, Brian! :thumbsup02:

I remember how excited I was when I found my first one. Your photos are really sharp and clear. Isn't it a wonderful feeling finding a silver coin that has been waiting in the soil for 100+ years?

:congrats:

Nesdore
04-16-2015, 11:28 AM
Huge Congrats Brian awesome Seated Dime great hunt the SLQ is a huge bonus coin lol :notworthy::envious:

Trooper Bri
04-16-2015, 08:10 PM
Thanks everyone! That's my 1'st silver from the 1800's Tony, so I was very happy.

That was not my SLQ, nor the Merc. I just wanted to post the pics since it's so clean. Mark told me where he dug it, so I got within 10 feet of it last week.