PDA

View Full Version : Heat sent us swimming

Snowy
07-04-2010, 07:33 PM
It was very hot here today so we spent the day in the water. We detected a little on the beach, but not much.

I have to say I'm impressed with the Fisher CZ-21. I didn't know if it would perform as well as it did, and it loves round things. I read in the manual later that it was specifically designed for coin and ring targets. I wasn't sure how well I'd like this machine, but it has impressed me. I told Joe on the way home it really is an awesome machine. I expected to think of it as pretty decent, but it's way better than pretty decent.

We had a blast today. I wish I could go out again tomorrow, but I'm back to work for another 6 day jaunt.

The 3 rings are all 925. The left and right rings were all black but cleaned up nicely with some silver polish. The middle ring was found on the beach.

Here are 2 short videos of Joe in the water. The first one is at the first beach we went to. The water is shallow for a long ways out. It looks like dirty water, but that's the sand on the bottom you can see. The water is very clear.

Shallow Beach (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hWPP3wurJU#ws)

Joe underwater (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DigB8elLoE#ws)

Epi-hunter
07-04-2010, 07:38 PM
Great videos Donna and love the finds! You are making me want to get my Tiger Shark wet :grin:

You two need a long-handled scoop....

Snowy
07-04-2010, 07:43 PM
Great videos Donna and love the finds! You are making me want to get my Tiger Shark wet :grin:

You two need a long-handled scoop....

A friend of ours is making us one right now. Very rugged scoop with a special design, and one you can't buy anywhere else.

I wanna get my own underwater machine, but after today, I want to spend some more time with the CZ-21 first.
I had a CZ-3D and expected the 21 to handle iron similarly as the 3D, but it DEFINITELY isn't the case. I'm seriously impressed.
I may wait until next year to get myself a CZ-21. I don't want to fall in love with it already, but it's making me. I think this thing is the shizzle.

Epi-hunter
07-04-2010, 07:55 PM
A friend of ours is making us one right now. Very rugged scoop with a special design, and one you can't buy anywhere else.

I wanna get my own underwater machine, but after today, I want to spend some more time with the CZ-21 first.
I had a CZ-3D and expected the 21 to handle iron similarly as the 3D, but it DEFINITELY isn't the case. I'm seriously impressed.
I may wait until next year to get myself a CZ-21. I don't want to fall in love with it already, but it's making me. I think this thing is the shizzle.

hoser made the scoop I have. It is very rugged :)

I had the CZ-3D (aka Iron Magnet) too and would have had the same iron fear based on experience :) I'm glad to hear that the 21 handled well.

Snowy
07-04-2010, 07:58 PM
Yeah, it definitely doesn't have a problem like the 3D does with nails.... I dug a nail on the water today on purpose to see....
there was a good signal followed by an iron signal. I dug and got a coin, then still had the iron signal. Neat... so I dug it. It was a very old nail, and the 21 told me it was iron.

I dug a cell phone in the water today and it's not in the pictures!!! I'm too exhausted to even bother with a pic. The pillow is calling my name.

Epi-hunter
07-04-2010, 08:01 PM
Yeah, it definitely doesn't have a problem like the 3D does with nails.... I dug a nail on the water today on purpose to see....
there was a good signal followed by an iron signal. I dug and got a coin, then still had the iron signal. Neat... so I dug it. It was a very old nail, and the 21 told me it was iron.

I dug a cell phone in the water today and it's not in the pictures!!! I'm too exhausted to even bother with a pic. The pillow is calling my name.

Get some rest :)

I wish I had a dime for every square nail I dug with that 3D. No matter what I did, they sounded good. I was ready to wrap it around the nearest tree.

Snowy
07-05-2010, 03:50 AM
Yup. It was my worst fear with the CZ-21, but the 21 isn't like that at all. We're getting some depth with it, it knows nails are iron, and it LOVES round things. It's supposed to rain next Sunday, but Joe and I are gonna go hit the water at a beach we were at today that got packed. That's the best part.... doesn't matter if it's too hot or it's raining ~ we can STILL go! :happydance01:

coinnut
07-05-2010, 07:10 PM
Great job on you maiden, water hunt voyage :clapping: You guys did great. And that center ring isn't by any chance platinum and real diamond studded is it? :shocked04: Oh well, you can drean can't you. It just looked so nice, too nice for silver. Nice water hunt!!!

CBnKansas
07-05-2010, 07:29 PM
WOW! Man I would love to see anyone of those rings in the scoop! Looks like you had a good time and a good hunt.

cb

Snowy
07-06-2010, 05:53 AM
Yeah, we had a blast. CN, there's a 925 stamp inside that middle ring, so those are probably plastic stones or something.

I definitely need my own machine though. Joe had yesterday off from work. He spent the day in the water getting used to it, and I'm sure he'll be swimming after work today EVERY day this week, and he has plans with a friend for Saturday. I'm glad he's getting his jaunts in now because come Sunday, that detector isn't gonna leave my hands. Seriously.

This bit of one underwater detector between the two of us just isn't going to work.

Snowy
07-06-2010, 07:32 PM
This proves my previous post.... he was out yesterday and twice today after work. And he has tomorrow off so he'll spend the day in the water AGAIN. I told him to think of me while he's out there and I'm working. Oh... and I remedied the 1:2 ratio of underwater detector to people today. That ratio is now 2:2. I guess it's finding the gold.... here are some other pics.

coinnut
07-06-2010, 08:48 PM
Yep, Joe is now officially a lost cause lol You will soon be too when you get that machine from his hands. :yes: Congratualte Joe on his finds and I hope he's gonna share with you at least once :cheesysmile: Tell him hurry up and find enough for a second machine, just in case his breaks ;) Nice finds by the way.

Snowy
07-06-2010, 09:34 PM
I bought the second machine today.... I had to. But I wouldn't have unless I didn't think these two machines could pay for themselves this year, provided we both are able to geet out enough.

coinnut
07-07-2010, 04:42 PM
I bought the second machine today.... I had to. But I wouldn't have unless I didn't think these two machines could pay for themselves this year, provided we both are able to geet out enough.

Well that will save some squabbling over who gets the machine lol I think it's an excellent choice of areas to detect, since the forrest is just bugs and shear heat and dried ground now. At least the beach is easier digging. But be careful, the sun factor is increased 10 fold :shocked04: Large hats, and cover and sunscreen any exposed areas. I had some rough experiences at the beach when I was young. I tan nice and dark, so when I saw red on my skin, I knew I was dead rofl Lucky youth has it's advantages. :yes: If this happened now, I'd be in the hospital 8/ So has the clad, silver and gold race started yet?

Snowy
07-07-2010, 08:14 PM
No races, CN. He's been out every day, and he has the rest of the week off. Too hot and humid to be up on roofs. He'll be in the water all day every day until Monday. I'm stuck working 12 hours a day all week, with just Sunday off. Then I've got Wednesday to myself, I believe. He made another nice haul today, and a 1908 IH penny in great shape to boot!

Snowy
07-08-2010, 07:58 PM
He was back at it again today while I was working. Wish there was someone around here to go water detecting with me on Wednesday while he is working.

He said the cross on the beads was about 6 inches down, at the base of a large rock and he had to dig through gravel to get to it. It fell apart afte the pic, so he just kept the cross part. That one has to be old.

Snowy
07-08-2010, 08:00 PM
Keep in mind everything in this string is Joe's underwater hunting (a little bit was mine from Sunday, but not much) from just this week, and it's been 5 days. This is his official start of water hunting.

The silver is coming out of the water black, but a little silver polish on them and they shine right up.

coinnut
07-08-2010, 08:06 PM
Geeze... I think Joe is a natural at this. What a great start. :clapping: Them rings are real nice. I can see Tana going ....ooooh, and awwwwhh. lol That is one fine way to start water hunting. It's only a matter of time before he (or you) strike heavy gold. We may never see you two on land again lol Great finds :beerbuddy:

Snowy
07-09-2010, 05:39 AM
The CZ-21 is really sensitive and gets good depth. Digging everything but iron in the water is a sure winner as well.

But I'm getting cranky. Two more days of work for me before I get to use it.
I'm busting my butt dealing with cranky people and a co-worker in puppy love who can't put his cell phone down and quit texting his g/f who is in Florida.

I'm not mad at Joe, but I'm jelous. I told him of a spot I want to hit up by where I work and now he's gonna go there today.

I told the president of the company 3 weeks ago I don't want to work 65 hours a week. Last week I had 65 hours and this week I'll have 75 hours on my paycheck (holiday pay included). The president said he needs me to do this for these two weeks because there's no one else that can run the place. I didn't sign up for this. Just 2 more days..... 2 more days.... I almost walked last night. I don't put up with lies and accusations. I have no room for it in my life. I suppose it's a small price to pay, though, for my own underwater detector.

I'm tired. But off to work. Keeping Sunday in sight.

tanacat
07-09-2010, 12:42 PM
Those are some nice rings! Peace, love & sunshine lol Lots of neat stuff, you've got me wanting to try some underwater detecting. I'd totally go hunting with you on Wed --if we didn't live over 1000 miles away from eachother crying01

I love your vids Donna, keep em coming!

Snowy
07-09-2010, 07:04 PM
Maybe I'll take some vids Sunday. We'll see. I plan on being in the water, detector in hand, most of the time.
Next year I think I'm gonna get another new camera, the Olympus EP1. It can go underwater and takes pics as well as HD vids I believe. Gotta start checking specs on underwater cameras.

For now, I'm gonna get a disposable underwater camera to get some snapshots. I don't like the idea of waiting for pics to be developed. I'm spoiled on digital technology.

So... anyway.... this morning I mentioned a spot for Joe to go water detecting while I was working. He went and didn't find much. He learned later in the day they dredge that section of the river for gold nuggets, etc... oopsie.... guess the dredgers have already been there.

Epi-hunter
07-09-2010, 07:22 PM
Some really nice finds Donna. Tell Joe to leave some there for you lol

I just noticed that in the very first set of photos you posted, the ring on the right is a Claddagh ring like the one Angel found last year. At the time I looked it up and it symbolizes You hold my heart in your hands, and I crown it with my love. and Let love and friendship reign forever. Cool find!

I'll bet the gold rings are coming soon :)

Snowy
07-09-2010, 10:00 PM
Some really nice finds Donna. Tell Joe to leave some there for you lol

I just noticed that in the very first set of photos you posted, the ring on the right is a Claddagh ring like the one Angel found last year. At the time I looked it up and it symbolizes You hold my heart in your hands, and I crown it with my love. and Let love and friendship reign forever. Cool find!

I'll bet the gold rings are coming soon :)

The Cladagh rings are often used by the Irish as wedding bands. They come in silver, white gold and gold, and sometimes the heart is a colored stone, most often green. Joe has found a few of these, and me, with a lot of Irish in me, have asked if I could wear them each time he found them. He hasn't let me yet. Go figure... he hasn't sold them off...

Snowy
07-09-2010, 10:05 PM
So check this.... the ATV is scheduled to sell tomorrow, which disappoints me. But anyway...
While I'm working, Joe will meet the buyer and make the transaction. His plan is to hit the scuba shop on the way home and pick up some weight belts, soft weights and some water shoes. At least that's all I suggested... who knows what he'll come home with.

Regardless, I expect the shoes and belts with weights for Sunday. We'll see.

I'll miss that ATV... might just have to get another one some day.

leslie(nova scotia)
07-21-2010, 06:51 AM
From the land of the Bluenose....a great day all around.

HEAVYMETALNUT
07-25-2010, 10:44 PM
you both have a gorgeous spot to hunt.that's a lake right? or a cove in the ocean?

Snowy
07-26-2010, 07:46 PM
you both have a gorgeous spot to hunt.that's a lake right? or a cove in the ocean?

Lakes/ponds ... haven't hit the ocean yet, but there's a shipwreck along the shore I wanna explore. I just wanna get scuba certified first and have all the gear.