PDA

View Full Version : Choice for beach coil

Ronandari
04-18-2015, 06:17 PM
Hello All,
I am heading down to Mt Pleasant SC next week and will taking a couple days to beach hunt. Since I live in Northern Kentucky, I have never hunted a beach before. I will be taking my VX3 and am hoping I can get some coil advice. I sold my 950 concentric so my coil choices will be the 10dd and the 10x12 SEF. Can anyone recommend which coil will perform the best on the beach?

Thanks in advance.

Ron

del
04-18-2015, 07:08 PM
the 10x12 will cover more ground there for statistically giving you better odds , beaches are an ideal area for larger coils unless the beach is trash ridden.

Ronandari
04-18-2015, 07:23 PM
Thanks Del, I've read that the Double D coils aren't as stable on the beach as concentric and work best in the dry sand.

del
04-18-2015, 07:37 PM
the 10x12 sef is normally much more stable then the Whites coils of the similar size , you should be good unless they put those radio frequency land beacons (to warn ships of land) very near the beaches. these can give you some emi but the sef should do very well on the mineralized sands .

Ronandari
04-18-2015, 09:13 PM
Thanks again Del. I'm looking forward to my first beach hunt. Hopefully I can catch on quick, I will only have two days to hunt.