PDA

View Full Version : What's the Best Find You Ever Lost?

OxShoeDrew
04-19-2015, 05:16 PM
Hey AD, Just curious, do you people ever lose stuff after you dig them? I have a pretty good system of getting finds home but once home I've lost a few. A few years ago I lost a beautiful "Hope Rhode Island" navy cuff button with complete gold covering and just a week ago lost a 1700s Chinese cash coin. You folks lose stuff on the hunt?....when you got home? Dog eat them?

Ronandari
04-19-2015, 06:28 PM
I thought I was the only one to lose a good find. Last year while I was traveling in Henderson Kentucky I found a Sterling ring with pink and white sapphires. This was the same park where I found my first V nickel just last week. The ring appraised for 3 to 4 hundred at a local jewelry store. My wife was thrilled to have the new bling and then promptly lost it. it was never seen again.
It's funny that you bring up lost items since I was thinking of that ring while I was diggin the toasty V nickel just 20 feet from the hole the ring came out of.

Happy Hunting.

del
04-19-2015, 07:18 PM
Drew , I tend to lose things I carry out into the woods not finds ...

a cell phone
an ipod
a cheap hand digger
sunglasses

Isaac
04-19-2015, 07:20 PM
I've lost a Lesche, many bug spray cans, water bottles, I've lost 5 silver jewelry pieces I found in one morning at a hotel :(

RIdirtdigger
04-19-2015, 07:29 PM
Hmmm, I lost my wallet in the woods once but luckily found it after searching for 2 hours. Otherwise I've lost some colonial buttons and shoe buckle fragments

RIdirtdigger
04-19-2015, 07:30 PM
Forgot I lost a farthing last year I found on a path leading to a cellar hole. Coin was toast but the exact size of a farthing

Ill Digger
04-19-2015, 09:52 PM
I was going to make a "end of year" post this past winter for last seasons finds. And I can seem to find about 15 silver coins!
No idea what I did with them? :dontknow::hairpulling::bangshead01:

MangoAve
04-20-2015, 07:10 AM
Drew, is that the latest chinese coin you found that you lost? I don;t believe I have lost anything yet altho a few times trying to put the coins away they sometimes don't make it into the pocket on the first try. You showed me your plastic containers you use, wonder why that didn't work. However, I will say that there are a few times I didn't find the item right away. Like it was in the pocket but small and didn't come out until I took the pants off and held them upside down. And The junk from one hunt I put into a plastic bag, and forgot it in the basement for a week before finally throwing it out. lol.

Drew , I tend to lose things I carry out into the woods not finds ...

Oh, that was your bluetooth earpiece I found? :lol:

I've lost 5 silver jewelry pieces I found in one morning at a hotel

Your bling?!?! I make sure I take my jewelry off before I go into the woods. I almost left my pinpointer once. Kinda why I wouldn't get the camo bags at cabela's or Dick's. If you lose them, they are designed to not be spotted..

OxShoeDrew
04-20-2015, 02:05 PM
Yeah Jim, I lost the cash coin I found a few weeks ago...My plastic containers seem to work well though...I lose them after I've cleaned them at home.
Reading all these posts reminded me of the time I not only took a skunking, but lost my own belt buckle! I was holding up my pants walking out of the woods. Pathetic :lol:

MangoAve
04-20-2015, 02:17 PM
Yeah Jim, I lost the cash coin I found a few weeks ago....I lose them after I've cleaned them at home.
...But lost my own belt buckle! I was holding up my pants walking out of the woods.

Sorry to hear that, Drew. Maybe your wife is playing tricks on you. Hiding them around the house so you can get the pleasure of finding them all over again. So sweet :lol: ....now for the buckle. Umm.. you had a detector with you to find it. How come you didnt? Now in no way am I saying things always work out for me....like Sun morning. I care not to elaborate, but I got like 3-5 min away from the place I was intending to hunt.

Tony Two-Cent
04-20-2015, 02:50 PM
The only find I have ever lost is this seated dime. I found it last year in a field. I got it home, cleaned it, photographed it, posted it on the forum, and then... it was never seen again.

It's not a great find as it has been in a fire and is not in good condition, but nevertheless I was frustrated by its disappearance.

OxShoeDrew
04-20-2015, 02:57 PM
but I got like 3-5 min away from the place I was intending to hunt.You mean you couldn't find the site driving in the car...or walking in the woods?
With my lost buckle- I think the grommet broke that held the buckle on the strap. So it wouldn't have mattered had I found the buckle. That was a tough hunt. But it could have been worse...I could have been accosted by a crazy lady threatening to have me arrested, thankfully that never happened to me :lol:

OxShoeDrew
04-20-2015, 03:02 PM
"I got it home, cleaned it, photographed it, posted it on the forum, and then... it was never seen again". Tony, that's exactly what happened to me...TWICE. Irritating. I actually put mine in my forum album before I lost them. I wonder if they end up in the vacuum cleaner. But, some of these members lost some serious stuff- five pieces of jewelry, 15 silver coins, farthing, $400 ring, cell phone...yikes....I don't feel so bad :lol:

Restoring Your Finds
04-20-2015, 03:35 PM
A neolithic flint arrowhead, one of the finest I ever found. Didn't even take a picture of it. Eye spotted it while metal detecting in vineyards in France. Very disappointing !!

Pacivilwarluke
04-20-2015, 06:29 PM
I lost my phone a few years back in a mining ghost town in western PA. No signal in the area and my phone was dead. Had to go out and buy a new one ( and still pay my lost ones plan!)