PDA

View Full Version : New reasearch method yields some intersting colonial relics!

Pacivilwarluke
04-19-2015, 07:29 PM
My dad and I had a decent weekend out digging. On Saturday we went to the field where I've found numerous coppers for 2 hours in the sweltering 80 degree heat. Dad maganaged to get a musketbal and I got a large ball button. These are sometimes called Zouave buttons incivil war context, and although there was civil war activity I'm not going to say it's a Zouave button. Then today after church we decided to try something new. I got the 1876 map of an area where we've found colonial stuff in the past, and drew lines from three properties that are all ealry 1800s connecting them, and at the midpoint of each line drew a straight line out. The result was a mesh of lines that intersected in a certain area. I figured that being in the center of all the activity that would've taken place there might produce some relics. So we went to check it out based on my odd research method, and found out that the area was field that we already had permission for :thumbsup02: so we went at it and my dad proceded to kick my butt! First he got an awesome ealry button with a rose on it! :cool: Then while I was digging .45s and Luger shells, he got a pewter button with most of the shank on it and a nice large designed button. By this point I was getting frustrated and decided to try over where I had found a CT copper last time. I didn't get anything over there but while I was away dad dug a broken fancy shoe buckle ( which he later lost :bangshead01:) and then I dug a signal dad had found ( I guess he was feeling sorry for me haha) and got a blowhole button! It's in perfect shape with the solder still visible!! :groovy: Really exciting because all the surrounding properties are at earliest 1816, so these finds seem to be before that period. We had to cut the hunt short after an hour and a half in the field because supper was done at home. Still a satisfing hunt and the new spot seems promising (cmon Spanish cobs!!) HH everybody!:grin:

del
04-19-2015, 09:12 PM
the "blow hole buttons can be very old Luke , well before the Rev. War era and possibly into the 1600's . I also like the "machined" designed tombac.

Pacivilwarluke
04-19-2015, 09:37 PM
Wow! Thanks for the info, I figured they were old but not that old! I'm even more exited to go back now! Thanks and HH!:)

aloldstuff
04-20-2015, 05:41 AM
Some very nice buttons. Dan, thanks for the info on that blow hole button. I'm with ya....come on Spanish cobs

MangoAve
04-20-2015, 06:50 AM
Interesting. It sort of paid off for you. Nice bunch of buttons.

Bell-Two
04-20-2015, 09:09 AM
What a lovely bunch of finds, and that blow hole button is fabulous!

HEAVYMETALNUT
04-20-2015, 09:51 AM
nice digs!

Pacivilwarluke
04-20-2015, 11:33 AM
Some very nice buttons. Dan, thanks for the info on that blow hole button. I'm with ya....come on Spanish cobs

Thank you! Hopefully the site will have much more!

Pacivilwarluke
04-20-2015, 11:33 AM
Interesting. It sort of paid off for you. Nice bunch of buttons.

thanks, hopefully this is just the tip of the iceberg!

Pacivilwarluke
04-20-2015, 11:34 AM
What a lovely bunch of finds, and that blow hole button is fabulous!

Thank you! I'm thrilled to see such an early find come out of the area!

Pacivilwarluke
04-20-2015, 11:35 AM
nice digs!

Thank you! :)

OxShoeDrew
04-20-2015, 01:57 PM
That's a beautiful looking area. How much iron is in that field? Nice buttons :)

Isaac
04-20-2015, 03:31 PM
Awesome buttons my friend!!!

RIdirtdigger
04-20-2015, 03:32 PM
That research paid off!! Awesome button and other finds.

BTV Digger
04-20-2015, 04:44 PM
Love the research side of your story, and of course the nice assortment of old buttons. Definitely should hit that site again some time.

John

Pacivilwarluke
04-20-2015, 06:18 PM
That's a beautiful looking area. How much iron is in that field? Nice buttons :)
Thanks, it's getting beautiful down here now that spring has hit with full force. The iron is kind of sporadic, I dug some of it it's mostly cut nails.

Pacivilwarluke
04-20-2015, 06:18 PM
Awesome buttons my friend!!!
Thanks bud! :)

Pacivilwarluke
04-20-2015, 06:20 PM
That research paid off!! Awesome button and other finds.
Thank you, I'm glad my crack method worked haha!

Pacivilwarluke
04-20-2015, 06:21 PM
Love the research side of your story, and of course the nice assortment of old buttons. Definitely should hit that site again some time.

John

thank you, I had fun with the research! I actually took a friend there for an hour today that we had free and he found all the goodies! I'll post them on here in a minute.

Robbie
04-20-2015, 06:47 PM
I haven't found one of those yet, I had no idea either. Keep um come in.

Pacivilwarluke
04-21-2015, 07:29 AM
I haven't found one of those yet, I had no idea either. Keep um come in.

Will do! :) thanks and HH!

Mountaindigger
04-21-2015, 07:11 PM
Outstanding digs, congratulations to you.

Lodge Scent
04-21-2015, 08:21 PM
Sweet finds! Congrats on that blow hole button :thumbsup01: