PDA

View Full Version : Another old church site

Fire Fighter 43
04-21-2015, 05:37 PM
This site is an old country cemetery that once had a church on the property. I found out it had been abandoned many years ago and that the township was maintaining the property. The town chairman gave me permission to hunt it. There are several grave stones with death dates in the middle late 1800's. I do not detect near the graves if anyone was wondering. That is a big no no IMHO. The church was torn down in the early 1970s and as soon as I started digging I could tell I was on fill dirt again. I did manage to find a few small areas of original ground and manage a wheat, an 1918 Merc, a top to a ring with a blue stone and a small ring that is stamped 18K. I'm not convinced it is real gold it just does not look like it and it is really light, 2 grams and about the size of a dime.

BTV Digger
04-21-2015, 07:11 PM
My rule of thumb...always keep expectations low so as to avoid disappointment. A merc is a merc, and a gold/silver ring is a gold/silver ring. Still nice finds IMO.

John

aloldstuff
04-21-2015, 07:26 PM
Some good finds, silver and "maybe" gold. Nice research to find that site. We all do not like that "Phil" guy......:lol:

Ill Digger
04-21-2015, 09:27 PM
Any hunt you bring home a silver, is a good hunt in my book! :thumbsup01:
Nice early Merc!
Congrats Jeff! :grin: