PDA

View Full Version : Help on reproduction ID

sectshun8
07-05-2010, 03:41 AM
A buddy on my boat from Malaysia saw me looking at some coin finds on another site and said he found a coin on his plane coming to the states at the beginning of June.

He brought it down and I started the search. The text on the coin reads:

MONETA DOMINORVM PRVSSIE & HONOR MAGRI IVDICIVM DILIGIT

Latin sure, but I can't translate it and no luck online. I found references to some deutch coinage from the 1300s with the same text and same coin design.

This coin is gold in color, and 28.18mm in diameter according to my electronic calipers, and 1mm thick. It has a smooth edge.

It's definitely a reproduction, and new'ish.

sectshun8
07-05-2010, 04:59 AM
Maybe a modern token for the German Order of Teutonic Knights?

coinnut
07-05-2010, 11:17 AM
THe online translation I got was HE ADVISES TO BE LORD AND MASTER OF PRVSSIE When I googled it, I found this. Read the description in the article. See if it is what you are looking for.
It should come up when you click on it , but if it doesn't scroll through to the title that says Coinage of Prussia. That's where you can read about it.

http://books.google.com/books?id=73wYAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA528&lpg=PA528&dq=PRVSSI E+coin&source=bl&ots=O70lpwawOl&sig=Oj3kNYnWWgPdbz 5EPBl_SyFFr7M&hl=en&ei=JAQyTIrLJ8Sclgfv-Mi-Cw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=7&ved=0CC4 Q6AEwBg#v=onepage&q&f=false

sectshun8
07-05-2010, 11:33 AM
Yeah it's talking about the same coins I've found at this site:
http://www.imperialteutonicorder.com/id69.html

The ones under Winrich von Kniprode...

The thing is, this coin is new... if it's seriosuly a coin from that age, in this condition, it's better than museum quality. It feel in your hand like a disc of aluminum, it's really light.

coinnut
07-05-2010, 06:53 PM
So, I'm thinking it's Prussian?? :confused: So many take overs in them days, it's hard to know where a coin comes from lol It's probably a reproduction, but if it's real, I can see someone trying to get it out of the country and dumping it before he gets caught. Then your buddy finds it and keeps it. lol Probably a million dollar coin if real lol I'd Google articles of missing museum coins to be safe ;) It's a real nice piece even if it ends up being aluminum. I guess they don't have rules on stamping Copy on them old coins.