PDA

View Full Version : Awesome hunt today, blowhole button, possibly regimental(?)and lots of colonials

Pacivilwarluke
04-25-2015, 05:40 PM
Today my dad and I set out to an 1870s schoolhouse across the river. The owner and his son are actually interested in detecting so we helped them out a bit. I got the nicest barber I've ever dug (1914 dime) and dad got a merc ( 1943) and a heartbreaker 10k gold filled ring. I then started finding Indians left and right and was able to put the owners son on a three iNdian spill! He was really happy, and I also gave him a bunch of wheaties that I had dug. They had to go so dad and I headed back to the colonial field, but before we checked out colored civil war cemetery that was very neat and sobering, it was neglected for years. But boy were we glad that we went back to where we found buttons and the half cent! We started finding buttons and pretty soon dad popped out an INCREDIBLE ring! It's a colonial wax deal ring with the intitials BSB!! You can see the file marks on the edges still! We kept getting more buttons when I pulled out another blowhole button! This one is a bit more beat but it has an edge design and the number 8 on the face!!! I need some help with an ID but I'm thinking its A regimental button. Maybe French and iNdian war? Dad got a chape from
A shoe buckle and then I got an 1747 KG II hp. Got some more buttons, musketballs, and I got a clay pipe with a brass mouthpiece! One of the buttons is backmarked WCO Strong. We had a great time and hope to find more at the field later!

Pacivilwarluke
04-25-2015, 05:41 PM
More pics

BTV Digger
04-25-2015, 06:18 PM
Fantastic set of finds and quite the variety Luke! Send my congrats to your Dad on the awesome ring. By the way, have you figured out what the three tags with the little bulldogs on them are? Old dog tags?

John

Mountaindigger
04-25-2015, 06:23 PM
Great finds and quite a few at that. I love those Barbers and congratulations to you.

Isaac
04-25-2015, 07:04 PM
Good Lord... that's a hunt you'll never forget! So many goodies :smitten: big congrats !

Pacivilwarluke
04-25-2015, 08:36 PM
Fantastic set of finds and quite the variety Luke! Send my congrats to your Dad on the awesome ring. By the way, have you figured out what the three tags with the little bulldogs on them are? Old dog tags?

John

Thank you, I'll send em! Yep, they're dog tags and they are all three differnt owners but we're found near each other. Really puzzling!

OxShoeDrew
04-26-2015, 04:05 AM
Oh man, that's a lot of cool finds. That wax seal is off the charts. :shocked03:
Maybe there was a gigantic dogfight right there :lol:

Pacivilwarluke
04-26-2015, 07:53 AM
Great finds and quite a few at that. I love those Barbers and congratulations to you.
Thanks! :)

Pacivilwarluke
04-26-2015, 07:53 AM
Good Lord... that's a hunt you'll never forget! So many goodies :smitten: big congrats !
thanks man, it was a blast!! :)

Pacivilwarluke
04-26-2015, 07:55 AM
Oh man, that's a lot of cool finds. That wax seal is off the charts. :shocked03:
Maybe there was a gigantic dogfight right there :lol:

thank you! Could be haha :hystericallaugh:

Pacivilwarluke
04-26-2015, 07:56 AM
This is what the wax looks like-

del
04-26-2015, 12:50 PM
the seal ring is remarkable in both condition and age Luke , I would very much like to see a few more close ups of the sides and behind the seal area if possible . are there any inscriptions or writing on the inside of the band ??

Lodge Scent
04-26-2015, 07:14 PM
Heck of a hunt ! That ring is beyond cool!

Pacivilwarluke
04-26-2015, 07:16 PM
the seal ring is remarkable in both condition and age Luke , I would very much like to see a few more close ups of the sides and behind the seal area if possible . are there any inscriptions or writing on the inside of the band ??

Thanks! Regrettably there is no inscriptions. Here are a few more pictures. It appears to be pretty crude, and hand filed.

Pacivilwarluke
04-26-2015, 07:24 PM
Better pictures of the kg II.

Pacivilwarluke
04-26-2015, 08:12 PM
Heck of a hunt ! That ring is beyond cool!
Thank you! I can't wait to go back there and hopefully nab some more!

Digger Don
04-27-2015, 08:22 AM
WOW, what a fantastic bunch of finds. That Barber looks like a fresh drop. Very nice.
All your finds are cool and interesting, but that seal ring is awesome. GREAT fIND

RIdirtdigger
04-27-2015, 09:03 AM
Awesome hunt. Those are some pretty incredible finds. Congrats

MangoAve
04-27-2015, 09:55 AM
The KG isn't too bad of shape. I like the ring and the condition of the barber is great. I am thinking those 'dog' tags are like a key fob or luggage tag. Since they are three different owners, there has to be some reason for such. Old train station near by, old hotel near by, possible meeting place near by... ect. Obvi there's no keys attached to any so if it was a key fob, either they were ready made to go to person who requested them be made or the attaching ring was just poorly made for all them to fall off the key ring to get lost.

Pacivilwarluke
04-27-2015, 11:30 AM
WOW, what a fantastic bunch of finds. That Barber looks like a fresh drop. Very nice.
All your finds are cool and interesting, but that seal ring is awesome. GREAT fIND
Thank you much! :) my thought was the same, dropped soon after it came from the mint!

Pacivilwarluke
04-27-2015, 11:32 AM
Awesome hunt. Those are some pretty incredible finds. Congrats
Thanks man! :)

Pacivilwarluke
04-27-2015, 11:34 AM
The KG isn't too bad of shape. I like the ring and the condition of the barber is great. I am thinking those 'dog' tags are like a key fob or luggage tag. Since they are three different owners, there has to be some reason for such. Old train station near by, old hotel near by, possible meeting place near by... ect. Obvi there's no keys attached to any so if it was a key fob, either they were ready made to go to person who requested them be made or the attaching ring was just poorly made for all them to fall off the key ring to get lost.
I think you are correct, I just found one online! Thanks for the info and HH! :)

Bell-Two
04-27-2015, 09:00 PM
My goodness what a productive hunt I didn't know what to look at first! :congrats: