PDA

View Full Version : Better outcome.

MangoAve
05-01-2015, 06:42 AM
Yesterday I finally got a day set up for detecting a permission site. When the owner told me there is a possibility of ties to the underground railroad, now I understood why he wanted to be around. I went back to my small park where I got a wheat spill, merc, and silver earing. Those were only on the first hunt; when I went back twice over the summer I could only pull up clad so I figured the only things there I took it all. Apparently someone has gone to it recently as I found a few sloppy holes and there was a copper penny in a predug hole. Maybe they didn't want to keep the penny after the work to dig it? Sure it was only a memorial, but again, they read the same as a wheat or an indian head. It took a while there but I checked an area I didn't really touch before and I came out with a compact and a pin. The compact unfortunately has the glass inside broken but there is nothing like it online. It was from Coney Island. Although it was late 1920s when the park was more for amusement I believe the compact is much earlier. It was the early 1900s when the city was tearing down buildings to reclaim the beach; it was a park before people started putting bath houses and clam shacks there. The picture depicted on the front of the compact is when the spot was a park, before it was used for amusement. The bottom has a nice sunburst pattern and the top a nice diamond pattern. The pin is a floral design oval and I am unsure what it would attach to. Maybe a hat? There are two tabs on the back that are folded. It's definitely much earlier than wheats or merc and even the compact.

Lodge Scent
05-01-2015, 04:12 PM
Both are nice pieces. :congrats:

OxShoeDrew
05-01-2015, 07:56 PM
Both are nice pieces. :congrats:Yeah, I bet they sounded great too!

Bell-Two
05-01-2015, 09:32 PM
The compacts are nice finds I like there designs.

Digger Don
05-01-2015, 09:53 PM
Great finds.:congrats:

del
05-02-2015, 12:28 PM
hey much better outcome Jim , congrats on the finds ! what the reverse of the oval item look like ??

OxShoeDrew
05-02-2015, 02:54 PM
hey much better outcome Jim , congrats on the finds ! what the reverse of the oval item look like ??Yeah, and I was wondering how big it is because it looks like a cufflink.

Mountaindigger
05-02-2015, 05:07 PM
Outstanding find you have there. Congratulations.

RIdirtdigger
05-02-2015, 05:55 PM
Nice finds, I always swing my coil over any dig holes if I see them, sometimes I've pulled out buttons that the person who dug the hole failed to retrieve for some reason

MangoAve
05-04-2015, 08:03 AM
Drew, the pin, or saddle strap guide plate as Dan said once he saw the back, sounded really good. The compact sounded a bit choppy, tho. Since it was big but reading with the VDI of a penny or dime, it sounded half way between an aluminum can and a penny. Like the randomness of the VDI when lifting coil was more than that of a coin but less than that of a can. The other piece is maybe 1.5-1.75 inches long and maybe 0.75 inches wide. The back looks like one side used to be a round loop widthwise and the other side had a piece would have gone lengthwise.

Other Jim, I usually do swing around them to see if they left anything. But mainly because I came upon the holes and I am swinging around them I might as well swing over. Haven't yet been lucky to find anything good in predug holes.

aloldstuff
05-04-2015, 08:34 PM
Some nice finds. I've always wanted to find a coin in a compact....someday.

BTV Digger
05-06-2015, 09:30 AM
Excellent finds. Love finding the more unique items of yesteryear.

John