PDA

View Full Version : Need help ID'ing Silver item with British hallmarks

Full Metal Digger
05-03-2015, 06:48 PM
Hey Diggers,
I found this today at an old house. It rang up on my e-trac between a silver quarter and a silver half dollar. I was very excited when I got that signal! I recognized it as silver once I dug it up but I'm not sure what it is. I have some ideas: old pocket watch cover, pipe bowl lid, mustard pot lid, etc. It's pretty beat up and mangled. The outside was engraved with initials but they are mostly worn off. Inside it has two discernable hallmarks and some letters that look like U.S. (but that makes no sense because one hallmark is a British lion) I really appreciate any help I can get on this! Thanks, Dave.

Full Metal Digger
05-03-2015, 06:56 PM
Ok everyone, I just googled British hallmarks and it looks like the Lion and the crowned Leopard Head. The lion represents .925 and the crowned leopard head is the city mark for London (1478 to 1822). Have I got it right?

denny2w
05-03-2015, 06:58 PM
Dave, I'd only be guessing, but if you don't have luck here I have found that on Facebook there is a group called "WTF IS THIS ?"
I got help there before, some knowable people there, like here...

del
05-03-2015, 06:59 PM
Dave its definitely a British made import . the lion is the mark for sterling and the other is the "crowned leopard's head the symbol for the city of London.

it could be a small pill box or even a personal snuff box lid

Digger Don
05-03-2015, 06:59 PM
I have no idea what it is. What I do know is, That's a big Chunk of Silver. Nice Find.
Good luck on getting the ID

Ill Digger
05-03-2015, 07:16 PM
Well you already found out what I did.
So I'm not much help. But like Don said, Wow! Nice hunk of silver!
I bet that was a screamer! :shocked04:
Nice find!
Congrats!! :grin:

Full Metal Digger
05-03-2015, 07:27 PM
Dave, I'd only be guessing, but if you don't have luck here I have found that on Facebook there is a group called "WTF IS THIS ?"
I got help there before, some knowable people there, like here...

Thanks Denny, I will have to check that out!

Dave its definitely a British made import . the lion is the mark for sterling and the other is the "crowned leopard's head the symbol for the city of London.

it could be a small pill box or even a personal snuff box lid

Thanks Del. I like your snuff box theory. It definitely had a hinge and latch so that's a strong possibility. I really like the fact that it can't be any newer than 1822! Certainly my oldest piece of silver.

I have no idea what it is. What I do know is, That's a big Chunk of Silver. Nice Find.
Good luck on getting the ID

Thanks Don. 10.3 grams. About as much silver as in a Half Dollar.

Well you already found out what I did.
So I'm not much help. But like Don said, Wow! Nice hunk of silver!
I bet that was a screamer! :shocked04:
Nice find!
Congrats!! :grin:

Hey Tim! Oh yeah, I thought for sure I was digging a Walker or Barber Half! BTW--Did you get my PM last week?

Ill Digger
05-03-2015, 09:37 PM
BTW--Did you get my PM last week?
Yep sending you a PM

MangoAve
05-04-2015, 07:10 AM
Saw this in your other thread and it seems like you are going with what I was thinking. Yes it seems a bit deep to be a watch case, but to have the hinge like that and the hole in the top for where the winder would go makes me think it is a watch case. I am not big on the history of pocket watches. The early 1900 one I got is much thinner, but it's also 90-110 years newer than your case. One being made before industrial revolution and one after.