PDA

View Full Version : D.I.N.E. finds

BKM
05-06-2015, 08:10 AM
I got out to the D.I.N.E. hunt this past weekend and had a top 3 of all time hunt for myself.

The hunt was at a 1790 farm with 74 acres of land and about 130 or so hunters.

It seemed that everybody rushed to the middle of the field at the start of the hunt so I worked the edges and got myself a couple of pouches full of can-slaw and entire cans. About 2 hours in I ran into a buddy who told me that a couple of King George's had been found in the middle of the field. By this time most of the people had gone on to other areas and I made my way towards the center.

The middle was surprisingly free of targets (or not so surprising seeing that dozens of people hit it for 2 hours) so I zeroed in on a bouncy, irregular signal. I couldn't pinpoint it, which really made me think it was can-slaw, but did the best I could, cut a pug and....nothing. Nothing in the hole, nothing in the plug. So I grabbed the detector and tried again to pinpoint and this time pinpointed the target about 3 inches outside of the hole. This time the target was in the plug and low and behold, an 1850 Seated Dime showing great detail through the dirt. This is my oldest silver ever. Pretty psyched!

The next few hours brought only clad.

In the final hour of the hunt I made my way to the far side of the farm, as far from everybody else and where the hunt was started as I could. I figured working along the road might yield something good and it did yield lots of bottle caps and beer cans. Finally in the farthest corner of the farm away from the house I got a solid signal and dug up a copper disk. I knew it was not a LC because it was too small but I could see Lady Liberty looking back at me. Thank God for smart phones and the internet because within a couple of minutes I knew I had a Draped Bust Half-Cent! This is my first Draped coin and my oldest coin of any type. Unfortunately, there is no date visible and the reverse is terrible, but being minted from 1800-1808 I know definitively that it's my oldest coin.

Another hunter pulled a Half Reale the I'm hoping to see online but have yet to find. Anybody know if it's posted anywhere?

I want to say a huge thank you to the organizers for putting this event on.

Now if I can just break into the 1700's.....

OxShoeDrew
05-06-2015, 04:23 PM
I shudda stayed with you Sunday :lol:
That dime is spectacular! The person that lost it must have come directly from the mint and neatly placed it in the dirt :lol:
Half cents are rare! Nice going! Let me know when you want to hit a few holes with me. :thumbsup01:

Lodge Scent
05-06-2015, 06:04 PM
Congrats on two nice finds that 130 other coil swingers missed !

aloldstuff
05-06-2015, 06:21 PM
Two great finds....:congrats:. That 1/2 cent looks just like mine but that seated dime is mint which none of mine look like. Some good hunting with some smart plays in the field...:thumbsup02:

Ill Digger
05-06-2015, 08:56 PM
That dime is spectacular! The person that lost it must have come directly from the mint and neatly placed it in the dirt :lol:
I agree! That dime is a stunner!! :wow:
And the half cent is a great find too. :thumbsup02: You don't see too many of those posted.
Congrats! :grin:

The D.I.N.E. hunt sounded like a great time! Wish I could've made it.:envious:

Mr. Digger
05-07-2015, 06:21 AM
Wow that dime is incredible. Congrats! I should have made the drive to DINE...kicking myself for that! I hunted that day but stayed local here in MA. Dang. Nice coin!

MangoAve
05-07-2015, 07:11 AM
Maybe the dime was positioned just enough to read while in the ground but once the plug was cut, the coin was perfectly on edge where the machine wouldn't read it anymore. It looks like a sweet bit of silver as Drew stated.

BKM
05-07-2015, 12:51 PM
. That 1/2 cent looks just like mine but that seated dime is mint which none of mine look like.

Thanks, it looks like your draped has a good bit more of detail than mine, Congrats!

kpmoose
05-07-2015, 06:39 PM
That Seated dime is gorgeous. Congrats on that one & your DB 1/2 cent. Sweet finds for sure.

RIdirtdigger
05-07-2015, 07:55 PM
Awesome finds. Love that seated. Glad you had a good time at DINE.

Trooper Bri
05-07-2015, 08:22 PM
That dime is a beauty! Congrats on the great finds.

I was next to the guy with the half real when he was showing it some people, but haven't seen it posted anywhere yet.

del
05-09-2015, 03:33 PM
great looking seated !!!!

DetectorDunk
05-14-2015, 01:56 PM
Great looking seated!