PDA

View Full Version : 1943 steel pennies

sjv
07-06-2010, 08:00 AM
I soaked a couple of my 1943 steel pennies in lemon juice slightly diluted and put them in an old prescription bottle, then i used a small magnet to raise them off the bottom. Within 6 hrs. the coins came out like brand new. One was a denver mint and i noticed the d is doubled. not bad , huh? I highly recommend this method. Besides, I felt their not worth much, what do I have to lose. Give it a try an give me some feedback. Thanks

coinnut
07-06-2010, 11:27 AM
Some before and after pictures would be great if you try it again. Did you just wing it on the amount of lemmon juice vs water or was there an actual ratio that you use. (I'm trying to collect cleaning methods and put together a small pamplet on it along with pictures.)

sjv
07-07-2010, 05:21 AM
I fillled a bottle about a half dollar in diameter up about 3/4 of the way so when you put you finger in there the juice won't raise and spill over. I added mostly lemon juice(about 2 teaspoons of water)The magnet trick worked great. I used a happy meal toy that comes with a magnetic sword piece thumbsup01. I put 2 in at a time and the coins held together rim to rim like a chain. That way they aren't just laying flat at the bottom. They come out a little sticky so I rinsed them with some soapy water. I didn't get any before pics but I found one that looks about what they looked like before on the web.Ther are quite a few on ebay that are very shiny, guessing they used similiar method (lemon juice or some other acidic item).

tanacat
07-07-2010, 02:29 PM
I've got one I'll try out on...

sjv
07-07-2010, 10:02 PM
I soaked 4 coins and had only one that came out crappy cuz it was worn and pitted to begin with. Don't soak too long, check them every couple hours and don't scrub them if at all possible (not necessary). Wash them under soapy water as soon as they are looking new and try not to touch the front or back with your hands, it will create smudges. I had one that was a little yellow from the juice so maybe half lemon juice and half water would be better.

tanacat
07-08-2010, 07:35 AM
I'm trying to collect cleaning methods and put together a small pamplet on it along with pictures.

Great idea- I want one! Details on this phamplet? Making them for your friends here on AD? :rolleyes:

russellt
01-05-2011, 09:21 PM
i have only found one 43 steely.. it was in a hole with a 44 and a 42 wheaty. it is so ate up from corrosion that most folks would not know it was a penny . it is not even recognizable. it does have the same dimensions as a penny of course but rougher than rough

psychposse
01-07-2011, 12:30 AM
I am gonna give this a try in the next couple weeks..

Here is a before picture:

giant056
01-07-2011, 07:09 AM
I dug one last year that was in the hole along with a nickel, I never would have dug it if it wasn't for the nickel being there. I ended up doing electrolysis on this steel disk (which I figured was a steel penny) and was finally able to see some of Lincoln.

Carver
01-13-2011, 08:45 AM
I've got several steelies,,,,I'll have to try it