PDA

View Full Version : Found $67.00 in Silver (certificates) Today

Digger Don
05-08-2015, 11:35 PM
I stopped at the bank today to cash my pay check. As the teller was counting my money, I noticed a Ten Dollar silver certificate in my cash. When I pointed it out to the teller, he told me someone deposited a bunch of them today. He said they just throw them in the "old bill pile". He then asked if I wanted any more. Of coarse I said yes.
He ended up giving me 22 One dollar certificates, 1 five dollar, 2 ten dollar and two ten dollar North African Silver certificates.
From what I understand, the north African bills were used to pay soldiers in North Africa during WW2.

Pretty cool finds for a rainy afternoon in Illinois.

Full Metal Digger
05-09-2015, 04:21 PM
That's a great find Don. Especially those Africa notes from WW2. I think you must be the luckiest treasure hunter around! Send some of your mojo my way! HH, Dave.

Lodge Scent
05-09-2015, 04:32 PM
That is really cool ! Never heard of the North African WWII issue.

Trooper Bri
05-09-2015, 08:07 PM
Very nice score Don! That's a nice pile of paper.
Haven't had my hands on a Silver Certificate since I pumped gas part-time in high school back in the 80's. Gotta ask about the "old bill pile" next time I'm at the bank.

aloldstuff
05-10-2015, 06:17 AM
Now that is a very nice bonus. Good that you spotted that note and asked about it. The North Africa notes are sweet.

Mr. Digger
05-14-2015, 06:38 AM
Very cool. How valuable are these types of bills? I know nothing about currency.

Digger Don
05-14-2015, 02:15 PM
Very cool. How valuable are these types of bills? I know nothing about currency.
I really have no idea. Not much, I suppose. The 2 North African silver Certificates may be worth a little more than the others.

donald sutphin
05-14-2015, 06:12 PM
I remember as a teenager that an ole man where I lived someone broke into his home and stole a bunch of old money and as the cop chased them they threw the money in a small causeway downtown and a thunder storm rolled in and washed the money a good half mile down the creek, We had heard about it and the day after we walked the creek just outside town and the creek was covered with 1 dollar silver certificates.The good thing the creek had settled after the storm and myself and another guy ended up with 142.00 for him and 87.00 for me and was in the local paper that they stole 1500.00 from him and people were walking the cause way and filling there pockets,how much was recovered never did know. I kept 5.00 worth and at the time didn't know what I had and the other guy I gave the rest after it was all over felt bad for the ole guy and should have given it all back for just keeping five I was know better than the ones who robbed him,this just brings back memories.vanzutphen

The Rebel
05-21-2015, 11:39 AM
Killer score!