PDA

View Full Version : First crotal bell and first lamp parts

MangoAve
05-09-2015, 11:23 PM
Still for some reason I haven't been digging up coins for the last few hunts. The coil has been put over a bunch of relics, tho. Today I went to a few cellar holes at the other end of an old road. It gave me a chance to try out new pants which work well for briers. I was hoping these spots being further in the woods that they wouldn't be hit or hit as hard. Wrong! The first one I pulled up a plate. Maybe someone will verify as another clock gear guide plate, even tho the holes in this one are not a distinguished design. i went down the hill a bit to see the rock wall in immaculate shape, somewhere near where the bank of the old stream. For some reason, tho, the area between these walls didn't have any random iron (or any signals for that matter) and iron only came back as soon as I went back west over the wall which enclosed the yard.

I went down the road to hit the next site. The large tree by the wall opening had grown around some iron piece. I kept moving around the site trying to get some good signals but it was almost every spot I checked I would come upon a predug hole. I got a mid 60 reading (like a zincoln) by these rocks right behind the cellar. I moved the rock to try and find the item, and it dropped. Oops.... I found the well which was covered up by these rocks. There were a lot of different areas sectioned off by the stone walls. It looks like new hiking trails were put thru the area. One predug hole I got a target. They must have missed it. It was only the jacket to a round. The lead inside was deteriorated.

The next hole I hit was the one I tried twice over the winter but the snow hindered any hunting. Omg this time it was such a short walk being no snow on the ground. The luck didn't come right away. I was getting cans by this massive oak tree...cuz it was near the hiking trail. Near the hole tho I pulled up my first lamp part. I got a big iron buckle. What i assumed was a driveway, when the snow covered the ground, looks more like an area right in front of a barn. There was this concrete piece on top of some rocks, like the barn area behind the house I pulled up that nice dress buckle a month and a half ago. Near there I was getting a good sound. I pulled up some big iron for a shovel head, but some how I got lucky. In the hole I pulled up a full lock. It looks brass, and almost identical to the one nalc472 pulled out of the ground out in the mid west. Out by what I figured was the privy it appears someone was digging pulling up bottles. There was a full clock gear setup and an old mason top and ceramic lid. Got another lamp part there too and what appears as black glass. There was a D buckle someone didn't want apparently. I pulled an even larger brass plate with holes/slots there.

Since there was another spot close by I packed up and headed there for short hunt before it got dark. There were a few structures facing the road. First target I got there was my first crotal bell....or petal bell. It is pretty big. They do sound nice, but not close to a coin. The bottom is a bit cracked but the maker's mark was there and I can narrow it down to 1832-1850. I would probably even say 1840 is cutoff as Seth J North's bell foundry closed in 1840, but yet it says the foundry with Stanley became Russel & Irwin in 1850. The petal bell definitely has the sunbursts design. Overall pleased with getting some first even if I couldn't pull up some old coins. And retribution for reading this, here's the pics (and info).

Seth North and Henry Stanley

N & S maker's mark on some larger petal bells.
Some have a 5-pointed star in place of or in addition to the N & S.
All bells have a distinctive sunburst design in each petal.

This New Britain, Connecticut, foundry operated from about 1832 to 1850 when it was sold to Russel & Erwin (below.) (6 (http://classicbells.com/info/bellMakers.html#ref6))

http://classicbells.com/info/bellMakers.html

47623 47617 47624 47614
47612 47618 47613 47622 47621 47620 47619 47616 47615

MangoAve
05-09-2015, 11:34 PM
One of the ceramic lids (which is now 3 i found total) has lettering and a company logo. Consolidated Fruit Jar Company from New York. The logo in the middle was used ca 1892.

http://www.sha.org/bottle/pdffiles/ConsolidatedFruitJar.pdf

del
05-09-2015, 11:51 PM
not a bad day Jim , some good keepers ! you've progressed well sir and I expect some nice finds from you this year .

Dan

OxShoeDrew
05-10-2015, 04:42 AM
I'd rather find a crotal than most coins. Nicely done! :notworthy:

aloldstuff
05-10-2015, 06:30 AM
Congrats on your 1st crotal bell. Nice old lock and every time I dig a mason jar lid I pray that the ceramic insert is intact, I just like them.

Bell-Two
05-10-2015, 07:22 AM
I concur the bell is a wonderful find and a lock is always good to find. I also save the complete ceramic inserts I think they are neat!

Ronandari
05-10-2015, 07:37 AM
Nice finds Jim. The lock and bell are beautiful. I've yet to find any of the mason jar lid but that one seems to be in pretty good shape.

Ron

RIdirtdigger
05-10-2015, 11:16 AM
That's a very nice crotal bell. I like that lock as well, I'm still looking to find an older brass lock. Not a bad hunt in my opinion!

Lodge Scent
05-10-2015, 06:40 PM
Nice bell! Nice bunch of finds!

Trooper Bri
05-10-2015, 07:39 PM
Very nice hunt Jim. Congrats on the crotal bell!

How you liking those pants? I think they're well worth the price.

Digger Don
05-10-2015, 09:17 PM
Congrats on a bunch of really nice finds. The crotal bell is a great find, but I really like the lock.
I find keys, but never the locks.:congrats:

MangoAve
05-11-2015, 08:43 AM
Nice finds Jim. The lock and bell are beautiful. I've yet to find any of the mason jar lid but that one seems to be in pretty good shape.

I concur the bell is a wonderful find and a lock is always good to find. I also save the complete ceramic inserts I think they are neat!

Congrats on your 1st crotal bell. Nice old lock and every time I dig a mason jar lid I pray that the ceramic insert is intact, I just like them.

Thanks guys. I do like finding a brass lock and the bell. I do wonder tho about the time of the jars and lids and what not. The consolodated fruit jar company had ties to the mason jar company. I have a bunch of those with the glass lids, and you can see a glass lid in the all finds pic. I thought those were early 1900s which is weird how the metal screw lids with ceramic inserts can be older. I did find two of those inside almost complete lids, but I didn't bother saving the metal portion. The inserts are interesting. Who knows, they might be worth something for an antique store.

Nice bell! Nice bunch of finds!

Thanks. Altho, we never find what we are looking for. (Some it's even the cellar hole).

Very nice hunt Jim. Congrats on the crotal bell!
How you liking those pants? I think they're well worth the price.

You got a crotal this year too, didn't you? I didn't go with the 'ultimate' pants like you did, but the step below. I didn't see the ultimate until I saw your thread posted later on (and the mere $5 difference in price). When they arrived I tried the waterproof-ness. Worked well for the few drops beading. They sure did repel any dirt but the pollen collected at the bottom by the ankles. It could brush off at least. My size didn't really have a bearing on staying cool. Someone much bigger than me, idk. I'd def still say they are worth it. I have yet to try them kneeling on wet ground. It's been dry lately. Unfortunately they don't carry shorts in size 30 at Duluth, they stop at size 32, so I have to get shorts to use for non-wooded detecting (parks/yards/schools) from somewhere else.

Congrats on a bunch of really nice finds. The crotal bell is a great find, but I really like the lock.
I find keys, but never the locks.

That's a very nice crotal bell. I like that lock as well, I'm still looking to find an older brass lock. Not a bad hunt in my opinion!

Last year it was all about the keys for me, altho never a skeleton key type. You should realize how long it took to find just one... I'm putting that down below.

I'd rather find a crotal than most coins. Nicely done!

...More than clad? sure!! :lol: It is a bit unique as there aren't as many pulled as silver coins, and to think it's nearly 180 years old does have some relevance too.

not a bad day Jim , some good keepers ! you've progressed well sir and I expect some nice finds from you this year.

Dan, idk.. The crotal was right there near the surface and was an immediate find. The lock may have been luck. It was in the side of the hole, so maybe I heard it or maybe I was hearing the big iron and stumbled upon it. Just think, tho, I have already been to about 22 cellar holes this year which is twice what I did last year and it took this many 'attempts', or spots, just to pull one bell. Crazy too how many spots and this was the first time pulling lamp parts. Maybe the progression is not so much with the machine as it is with finding spots kind of off the beaten path. That's prob why the first two spots were pounded as it was in the area where biking paths were so many knew about it. The third hole where I got the lamp parts are near the area less hiked and I was hoping the way the street was back in 1868 kinda threw people off a bit. The last place maybe a bit away from where others would look. I'm hoping this year brings better outcomes.

Pacivilwarluke
05-11-2015, 09:01 AM
Love the crotal bell, they are always nice to dig! Sweet lock too, you're really on to something! :)