PDA

View Full Version : Roman Coins Always in Britain?

OxShoeDrew
05-10-2015, 03:40 PM
Here's a quick question...how come the internet is full of Roman coins found in Britain, the farthest reaches of the empire, but nothing in modern Italy? I tried googling Italian phrases like "monete romane trovate" but they still turn up the British finds. There must be way more Roman coinage in the Italian dirt than in Britain. Are Italians just not into metal detecting?

Isaac
05-10-2015, 08:02 PM
Here's a quick question...how come the internet is full of Roman coins found in Britain, the farthest reaches of the empire, but nothing in modern Italy? I tried googling Italian phrases like "monete romane trovate" but they still turn up the British finds. There must be way more Roman coinage in the Italian dirt than in Britain. Are Italians just not into metal detecting?
Basically. I haven't seen many Italians detect.

MangoAve
05-11-2015, 06:40 AM
Idk Drew. Maybe you saw the same article as I did online? The one about how many 'ghost towns' exist out in Italy? I should move there..lol. I know as far as the cities themselves which I have been to, there isn't much grass. I am sure Rome is just completely off limits due to archaelogy laws, and same with Perugia. There is an unimaginable amount of farmland out there along the roads we saw in the tour bus getting from city to city. Dan pointed out in the archaelogy thread that Britain works with the detectorists. The roman coins just happen to be "biproducts" because they aren't more abundant so not as valuable, possibly?

Issaac, I am Italian.... :teasing: I know you meant those specifically located in Italy.

lee
05-11-2015, 07:12 AM
Idk Drew. Maybe you saw the same article as I did online? The one about how many 'ghost towns' exist out in Italy? I should move there..lol. I know as far as the cities themselves which I have been to, there isn't much grass. I am sure Rome is just completely off limits due to archaelogy laws, and same with Perugia. There is an unimaginable amount of farmland out there along the roads we saw in the tour bus getting from city to city. Dan pointed out in the archaelogy thread that Britain works with the detectorists. The roman coins just happen to be "biproducts" because they aren't more abundant so not as valuable, possibly?

Issaac, I am Italian.... :teasing: I know you meant those specifically located in Italy.
your Italian mango? i always thought you were American ?.
lee(viking,Norman,goth,roman)lol.
your right though drew,where roman coins are concerned in England,there found in about the same ratio as wheat penny's over here,i my self have around 200 in a box at me mums house found at no more than 1 inch under the ground.
where Italy is concerned could it be literally hunted out due to the amount of archeology that's been carried out over there ? , that its just not worth hunting ?.

MangoAve
05-11-2015, 08:52 AM
Yes, Lee....Actually I'm more of a mutt. Second generation born here but I saw the family name on a bakery in Venezia. I get my fair complection from the bit of Irish in me. Maybe I get my language skills (aka cussing) from the portion of English I have. :lol:

Oh, oh, oh. Now a little more inspritation hit me, Drew. Trading: I'm sure that was a big part. I am unsure how much sailing and trading Britain had done during that time period before they were conqured but the Romans still needed to trade up in other land masses.

del
05-12-2015, 06:51 PM
My theory would be this ....

Britannia was a frontier province and like most frontier provinces had many Roman legions (soldiers) to protect and guard the many new rich wealthy land owners , merchants an entrepreneurs . all needed great amount or money or coinage , soldiers had to be paid with coin on a regular basis not credit as did the province for most transactions and many of them flourished . then with the constant threat of barbarians , viking raids many hordes were hidden and never recovered . Italy was almost always established as a Roman stronghold , protected and very far from the hostile frontier and therefor far more certain for people to no stash their valuables , it was the "civilized" society and credit was used more regularly . Also most Roman legions were stations far from Rome with the exception of local type police and Praetorian Guard (Caesar's soldiers).

Dan