PDA

View Full Version : Get Permission!

RIdirtdigger
05-10-2015, 03:46 PM
For over half a year people have been telling me to "Get Permission". Only a few months ago I was afraid to knock on somebodies door because I felt uncomfortable and was afraid they would say No. Since the start of the year I have knocked on several doors, getting two yes's (1 person was the old lady that kicked me out after 5 minutes), two no's, and plenty of no-answers. I have gotten several other permissions as well but those were achieved through my father, and my family knowing somebody with an old property and essentially handing the permission to me. The truth is there is not a single part of knocking on somebodies door that I like. I feel awkward, unwelcome, and invasive. I have never gotten it through my head why someone would want a stranger on their lawn digging holes,and swinging a machine that looks similar to a weed wacker. I tell people "I'm gonna get permission today" but I either chicken out, run out of time, or simply don't feel up to it. I've been told "first impressions mean a lot" which is why I have never tried to get permission after I just was out detecting somewhere else and am sweating and covered in dirt. Despite not enjoying anything about door knocking it still doesn't mean I am not going to do it. Sure I am super nervous when I pull up in the driveway and I expect them to say No but it doesn't stop me from at least trying. Permissions will come when I want to put the effort in, no when others tell me to. I feel a permission spree is coming soon for me.

Digger Don
05-10-2015, 09:25 PM
Just wait until you find your first virgin yard and pull out a bunch of old coins.
Trust me, from that day on, you'll find it much easier.
Good Luck!!!

MangoAve
05-11-2015, 06:28 AM
Haha. Better move on that. I was thinking yesterday because it was Mother's Day that it might be harder to get into a yard because people have their own plans going on (plus my to-do list) yet when driving back from the rent's I see a person at a place I wanted to get permission at. gaahh.. I waited too long for that one.

donald sutphin
05-11-2015, 06:34 AM
Damn digger you sure you are not my twin this is exactly how I feel when it comes to banging on doors but some can and some wont and I guess one of those who cant. Rejection is brutal..vanzutphen

Isaac
05-11-2015, 08:11 AM
don't take rejections personally. think of getting permission as a game. if u get rejected, you didn't have ANYTHING to lose... if you got permission you had EVERYTHING to gain!!!!!!!!!!!! We get rejections, that's life, it happens to ALL OF US

leslie(nova scotia)
05-13-2015, 05:15 AM
Imagine not many of us like cold calling. Is a good way to gain new area to search and you are absolutley right....first impressions are paramount.

Worse they can say is no!

DetectorDunk
05-14-2015, 01:44 PM
I just shave so I go from 30 to looking like a little kid. I have only went door knocking maybe a dozen times and the 2 no replies, I had scruff. Maybe the others just don't want to say no to a little kid.

NorthShoreJoe
05-17-2015, 11:20 PM
vanzutphen Hey I pass through Brunswick quite often coming home from work in Frederick MD. I live West of Charles Town, WV. Ever do any River Hunting along the Shenandoah or Potomac? I'm always looking for detecting buddies and I know of a spot or three along the Shenandoah I'd like to try out this Summer. Lot of swimmers in these areas so it could get lucrative for lost jewelry. PM if you're interested in hooking up.