PDA

View Full Version : seated silver

randy
07-06-2010, 08:09 PM
The heat has just been oppressive, and the ground rock hard, but I couldn't take it anymore. not detecting, so I grabbed the E-Trac and got out tonight. Went to a park I'd been to a couple times before, but never found anything old, even tho the park is old -- the only reason I went there tonite is that it is the shadiest park I know. I also wanted to give the E-Trac a go at this park for the first time.

The first 90 minutes I spent digging nothing but deep, beat up clad :bangahead01: :bangahead01:, and each hole was alot of work, but I finally got a good signal that I was pretty sure was a silver. My pinpointer is broke, and the dirt is like cement, so I had to work the hole extra carefully, and it took quite some time. I'm all sweaty and dirty and muddy, and people walking by are looking at me like I'm from another planet, but I finally was rewarded with a seated in that hole, in pretty good shape too. Its one of the ones with the arrows (not really sure what that means). I was too shot to do a happy dance at the time; I just filled the hole and called it an evening. Now I'll do one :happydance01: :happydance01: It had been a month to the day since I found a silver coin, so its a nice way to break the slump.

Snowy
07-06-2010, 08:12 PM
Lot of work in the heat. I commend you... and an awesome piece of silver history there. :peace:

angellionel
07-06-2010, 08:18 PM
What a sweet looking dime! :drool: :envious: At least all of that work digging targets paid off. :yes: You will be paying that park a few more visits, I'm sure. lol

Epi-hunter
07-06-2010, 08:20 PM
Wow, what a beautiful dime! :drool: Yes, you definitely have to go back to that park!

coinnut
07-06-2010, 08:44 PM
Nice arrows Seated. :clapping: These arrows indicate the mints need to reduce the silver content due to the unexpected result of new found gold, making the price of silver skyrocket. It then became profitable to melt or trade the silver for gold and as a result a lack of silver coinage was experienced. The marks distinguish the old heavier silver from the new lighter silver. This is another reason why we do not get many pre 1850's silver coins. They were melted by everyone. But enough history. That is one beautiful Seated thumbsup01 I wonder if you are really going back to that park ever again? rofl

xzlr8n
07-06-2010, 09:59 PM
Beautiful Seated Coin!! I went out this evening hoping for some silver, only to be satisfied with a 1919 Wheat. Anyway its good to hear and see there are still some goodies out there. You and Angel have little thearpy sessions going on for the rest of us. rofl.

milco
07-06-2010, 10:11 PM
Outstanding seated dime! Congrats!

catskillcomics
07-06-2010, 10:17 PM
Good Job Randy :peace:
Now.. if I could only find a seated, it would make my year

Cheap Thrills
07-06-2010, 10:56 PM
Nice save on a great coin . Pretty hard not to mess up a coin when you have to chisel it out of the ground . thumbsup01
Nice lesson on the history of the arrows George . thumbsup01

Ill Digger
07-07-2010, 12:05 AM
Thats a great find! And after hearing George's exsplanation I realize how much more rare it is!!
Congrats :grin:

tanacat
07-07-2010, 02:21 PM
Woo hoo!! That is one beautiful dime- congrats! I'm with you on the heat- are we crazy for doing it? :confused: (A woman prob thought it yesterday at the park- she was eating lunch in her car, parked in the shade watching me hunt lol

zrickkid
08-12-2010, 10:16 PM
That is a really beautiful coin! Hope you find more at that site.

jkress
08-12-2010, 10:46 PM
Incredible! I can only imagine what that would be like.

Great job and congrats!

dave in iowa
08-12-2010, 10:55 PM
great find

NiagaraCountyNY
08-13-2010, 08:46 AM
Very Nice!! There has to be more there (deep).Sounds like a good site to slow search when u get some rain.HH