PDA

View Full Version : First salt water finds

CBnKansas
07-07-2010, 08:20 AM
I made it to the beach and feel like a should get a merit badge or something. My machine has a lot more chatter than I am used to on Kansas dirt, but still hits like a hammer on most coins. I now know why beach hunters use big scoops. My little scoop is perfect for dry sand in tot lots but it was like digging with a tea spoon in the wet sand. My wife snapped a pick while I was tryign to get started. The ships have nothing to do with my hunt but were in town as a part of their world tour.

Meager finds for an hour, but my learning curve was steep. I plan on doing some reading to see what lines to follow to find the goods, but for this hunt I wandered aimlessly.

cb

camera battery died. pictures to follow

coinnut
07-07-2010, 04:36 PM
At least you got to the beach and tried out your machine. Look for any cuts in the sand or any rocky areas or any black sand (as bad as black sand is) and work around them. Any areas that have a lot of shell scraps or just looked disturbed are good starting points. I'm assuming you are staying on the shoreline and not actually going deep into the water?

CBnKansas
07-12-2010, 10:40 AM
Moved from the getto hotel to the family camp on the base since my last post. Now if I can get some reliable internet I will be in good shape.

I was wondering aimlessly for the most part. Not sure where to hunt. The coins I found were around areas that someone had clearly been playing in the sand. I will look for the black sand and shell depositis. I am here on a contract job and this week they have me in training four days then working my normal night shift so it does not look good for hunting until next week. Thanks for the reply.

Even on my cameras lowest setting my pics are too big to post so I need to figure that out. At home I have a junk camera for detecting but I did not bring it.

CB