PDA

View Full Version : A few relics and a 1906 whatzit,,

GA1dad
05-25-2015, 03:46 PM
With the BBQ trail in full swing, I haven't had time to do much detecting. I did get out this weekend for a couple of hours though. The property was originally a civilian residence,, then later was part of a military base. There was a variety of finds, but mostly what I found were bullets,,, bullets and bullets. Looks like they had a blast with a M1 Garand.

The valve stem cover was cool. That and what I guess might be half a make-up compact were two more items on the "must find" list of a novice like me. Recon the float was out of a fuel tank?

The last item puzzles me. It marked Pat. Dec. 25, 1906. It only travels 90 degrees. My mind goes to cabinetry hardware because of the decorative designs and the wooden dowel insert in the knob,,, but I just can't quite put my finger on it's purpose. Any ideas?

Digger Don
05-25-2015, 04:00 PM
Nice finds. That one item looks like one side of a drawer pull to me.
Congrats on getting out and finding some cool stuff.

GA1dad
05-25-2015, 09:07 PM
Nice finds. That one item looks like one side of a drawer pull to me.
Congrats on getting out and finding some cool stuff.

I believe you are correct,,, some kind of a t-handled drop pull maybe.

Bell-Two
05-26-2015, 08:02 AM
Nice finds I always like the valve covers!

The Rebel
05-26-2015, 11:24 AM
Almost looks like it was an end part of a casket handle.

aloldstuff
05-26-2015, 05:56 PM
Really creepy if The Rebels ID is correct...:shocked03:. A great group of finds, loving that valve cover the best.

OxShoeDrew
05-26-2015, 07:48 PM
Almost looks like it was an end part of a casket handle.That would be a first...and very cool. I tried googling the patent date but didnt have any luck.

GA1dad
05-26-2015, 09:21 PM
That would be a first...and very cool.

No no no,,, not very cool. Bad juju,, LOL.

Epi-hunter
05-26-2015, 09:35 PM
Great finds... any one of those would have made my day! Love seeing the relics and all the history -

The Rebel
05-27-2015, 02:37 PM
That would be a first...and very cool. I tried googling the patent date but didnt have any luck.

Same here, but it does have that casket look to it. Next will be the bony finger with a gold ring:lolsign:

BTV Digger
05-29-2015, 10:09 AM
Love the early relics, though agree that's quite a few bullets! Folks definitely had some fun at that site over the years. Concur with other's comments that it's likely one half of a casket handle. The wood dowel would have connected to another hinge approx. 6-8" away. I found a somewhat helpful reference documenting early 20th century coffin hardware in S.C. of all places if you care to take a look. You may have already seen this. Ironically I was born in S.C. and my paternal Grandmother was born in raised in McColl, SC (Marlboro) which is also referenced in the paper. Weird. Anyway, scroll down to page 9 and beyond for some illustrated examples of early handles.
http://www.chicora.org/pdfs/RS2-RememberMan.pdf

John

GA1dad
05-29-2015, 11:28 AM
Wow,, you're correct,, sometimes you get an answer you didn't want to hear though. Now I'm speechless and wondering how the end of a casket handle winds up 4 inches below the surface,,,,,

GA1dad
05-29-2015, 12:16 PM
John,
Thanks for providing the documentation on coffin hardware. My first reaction was gut wrenching, but the more I read the paper, the better I felt that there were other expainations to explain randon coffin hardware,,, still creepy though.