PDA

View Full Version : e-trac opinion wanted

pointer80
07-07-2010, 12:26 PM
Hi all I was wanting to get some honest info about the e-trac. I am currently a v3i owner and just do not know if it is all its cracked up to be. I am struggling with the depth and stability of this machine. Just wondering if the e-trac would be a better choice in detectors. What kind of depth does the e-trac get on average and hows the target iding on the e-trac? Has anyone comepared the two? Ive read alot on the v3i and do understand the settings pretty good. I would love some honest opinions on the two machines. I am not bashing whites or the v3i at all just looking for some good info on them. Thank you very much all.

randy
07-07-2010, 01:00 PM
I'm using both machines, but am no where near an expert with either. My executive summary would be: The E-Trac seems superior technically, but the V3 seems easier to use. Part of that is physical -- I find the E-Trac tires my arm quickly, where I can swing the V3 all day. (perhaps that is because I swing the E-Trac slower). I also find the V3 multi-frequency and spectragraph systems easier for me than the E-Trac system. I'm a very visual person, and the E-Trac is more tonal. If you are more of a tonal person, you may like the E-Trac better. I haven't done alot of programming with tones on the V3, so perhaps you could set up that way if you are tonal.

The E-Trac seems deeper, in that I've found targets at depths that I've never hit with the V3. However, that doesn't mean anything unless you use both machines on those exact targets.

In one test when I had both machines at the same site, and tested each target with each one, there wasn't a single target that one machine could see that that the other could not. However, the target ID on the E-Trac performed better for me. No target was deeper than 9 inches, however, so it is possible there simply were no targets deeper than 9 inches at that site (I've pulled wheaties at @ 11-12 with the E-Trac at other sites). That said, I could tell whether the target was a high target with the V3 frequencies, even tho the TID was all over the place.

When I was doing that test, I alternated swinging the V3 and E-Trac, so one machine wouldn't have an advantage in knowing the target was there beforehand. What I found was that I preferred locating targets with the E-Trac, and analyzing them with the V3. Take that FWIW.

I think the E-Trac's see thru capability is sweet, where it sees a good target directly under trash. I've never had that happen with any other machine, including the V3, and this was a site that I know has been pounded. That's not to say it is not possible, I've just never seen it.

In terms of programming, I mostly used the settings Angel posted for the E-Trac, but was using a hot running CJ setup for the V3. I think Jack's correlate program performs far better for the V3, and a fairer test would have been to use that, or some other effort at programming (I've tested Jack's program against my CJ mod program, and it is better). I guess the point of this paragraph is that it isn't really fair, given the variability in the programability of both machines.

A couple of things I really like about the E-Trac is the noise cancel and the fact that you never have to worry about ground balance hassles. There is one site along a powerline where I can't even use the V3, but the E-Trac is fine. One thing I miss on the V3 is the ability to mute the machine by pressing the menu button. I like the V3 pinpointing better, but the E-Trac's is fine, IMHO. I like the V3's battery system better. You always know when it is charged.

The elephant in the room for me, however, is the V3 D2 coil issues. I've had 2 go bad, and it is just something I don't want to deal with or worry about, and I don't feel I should have to on a high end machine. White's customer service, however, has always done right by me on this and other issues. No experience with Minelab customer service.

Remember, I'm not an expert with either, but nor am I a fanboy of either. I'm trying to analyze both, and objectively, as best as possible, pick the one I prefer swinging. Right now, if it is a deep silver site with trash, I grab the E-Trac. Any other site (e.g. jewelery sites), I grab the V3, tho I've never really tested the E-Trac hard at a jewelery site.

HTH

Lowjiber
07-07-2010, 02:01 PM
Nice objective write-up, Randy. I think that's exactly what kind of information pointer is looking for in his post.

We gotta be careful folks. I've seen threads like this turn into a bashing contest on other forums. We're better than that.

Thanks for the question, pointer; and thanks for your answer, Randy.

coinnut
07-07-2010, 04:13 PM
You will get many opinions on all kinds of machines. Keep in mind they are usually the direct result of brand loyalty and personal choices. Randy did a great job of trying to be fair to both without being unfair to which machine did better in different situations. For me the E trac is a great machine, but with some annoying flaws, if they could be called that. My number one complaint is the depth meter sometimes just gets stuck and doesn't move. Also a numbering system would be better than a hard to read bar graph for the depth meter. Parts are more expensive, especially the shafts and batteries. You will have to use headphones, since the speaker faces away from you. This is the only location that it seems it could have been placed. You have to swing slower, so the weight of the machine is more on your arm and shoulder, and on your back if you stand wrong. Also the warrantee is not transferable. :ticked: But these are minimal compared to the fact that I like how deep it goes and how well it does in junky areas. I don't know how long you have had the V3i or if you ever had any other White's machines, but in general I would try some of the programs given here for the V3i and see if they don't quiet down your machine and allow you to really test it in a good environment. I agree that a falsing, chattering machine does not allow you to test it's strengths. See if you can get it stable and give it a shot. It won't hurt it's resale value if you hold on to it a bit longer to get a feel for it. If you are not satisfied, sell it get an E Trac and start the process all over again. If you don't like the E Trac, then move on to another brand. Each time you should recoup most of your original money spent and only have to kick in some extra cash to get the next machine. The Best advice?? Find someone locally with an E trac and see if they will let you try it. Then you will know before you buy.

pointer80
07-07-2010, 04:42 PM
Thanks all, I do not plan on swapping my v3i any time soon and like I said I'm certainly not putting down whites at all. I had a dfx before this one and liked it. I quess that is the main reason I stuck with whites. I have found alot of clad and a few older coins with the v3i. I also have tried alot of different programs and settings and understand alot of the settings. But it still seems one day its smooth and the next its not and this is in the same area(?). Also it just seems to struggle with depth. It has been hot and dry here and thats not helping matters for any detector. I just see alot of positive info on the e-trac on these forums and alot of people asking questions about how to get the v3i to go deep and run smooth on the v3i forums. It seems like alot of people on the v3i forums are asking for help more than anything. Like I said earlier I think whites is great and do not want a brand war post by no means. Thanks again all. pointer80

NiagaraCountyNY
07-28-2010, 07:36 AM
You will get many opinions on all kinds of machines. Keep in mind they are usually the direct result of brand loyalty and personal choices. Randy did a great job of trying to be fair to both without being unfair to which machine did better in different situations. For me the E trac is a great machine, but with some annoying flaws, if they could be called that. My number one complaint is the depth meter sometimes just gets stuck and doesn't move. Also a numbering system would be better than a hard to read bar graph for the depth meter. Parts are more expensive, especially the shafts and batteries. You will have to use headphones, since the speaker faces away from you. This is the only location that it seems it could have been placed. You have to swing slower, so the weight of the machine is more on your arm and shoulder, and on your back if you stand wrong. Also the warrantee is not transferable. :ticked: But these are minimal compared to the fact that I like how deep it goes and how well it does in junky areas. I don't know how long you have had the V3i or if you ever had any other White's machines, but in general I would try some of the programs given here for the V3i and see if they don't quiet down your machine and allow you to really test it in a good environment. I agree that a falsing, chattering machine does not allow you to test it's strengths. See if you can get it stable and give it a shot. It won't hurt it's resale value if you hold on to it a bit longer to get a feel for it. If you are not satisfied, sell it get an E Trac and start the process all over again. If you don't like the E Trac, then move on to another brand. Each time you should recoup most of your original money spent and only have to kick in some extra cash to get the next machine. The Best advice?? Find someone locally with an E trac and see if they will let you try it. Then you will know before you buy.
If your depth meter is getting stuck something is wrong.Ive never had this issue in the Year ive had the E-Trac.

Epi-hunter
07-28-2010, 07:43 AM
If your depth meter is getting stuck something is wrong.Ive never had this issue in the Year ive had the E-Trac.

Mine doesn't get stuck but it sure isn't accurate. One of my main complaints. After awhile you learn how to interpret the meter, but it's annoying.

The other is the glare that comes off the digital screen. It's sometimes very hard, or depending on how the sun is hitting it, impossible to see.

As George pointed out, the rest of the machine's positive attributes more than make up for those things, but I wish Minelab would address them.

NiagaraCountyNY
07-28-2010, 09:14 AM
I agree the glare is really Bad!!Be nice if they made the screen rotate or something.I find the depth meter to be fairly acurate.The size of the target seems to affect the acuracy tho.The target strength and footprint when sizing helps me get by this I think.A color screen that rotates would sure be the bees Knees tho wouldnt it :) HH

coinnut
07-28-2010, 10:03 AM

It seems to get stuck when the numbers get stuck too. lol Usually with high sensitivity and a bunch of targets in the area being hunted. It's like it's on overload sometimes. That's also when the numbers don't update fast enough from target to target and seem frozen too. I bought mine brand new when they first come out and had some issues with it. I think I was the only one on any forum that had a bum E Trac :yes: but I sent it to Las vegas and it was repaired, but I still think it's has some quirks. I'll probably send it in this winter and have it overhauled. I'm waiting for their next machine :drool: I better start saving some clad so I don't have to get a mortgage to get one. lol