PDA

View Full Version : I officially stink at water detecting!

Beefcake
07-07-2010, 10:13 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I look like a manatee in distress..good grief! Now I know why you guys use the long handled scoops. I am really having a rough go of it in the water. Today I went to a place called bathtub beach...supposed to be a rather calm water reef beach... Bathtub my rear end...more like a washing machine! The currents were so bad and we had a lot of wind today. I couldn't keep in one place. Everytime I got a target, I could dunk under to get one scoop and by the time I surface I was 5 feet away from where I found the target. Perhaps it is just the strong currents and wind that is making it so frustrating, but I'm about to head for the wet sand and call it quits... Aquaman I am not!

Snowy
07-08-2010, 04:34 AM
Beef, don't give up so quick!

First of all, you need a weight belt. But for now, put some big rocks in your pockets or rig them in a belt somehow. Just take them out of your pockets or whatever before you come out of the water ( do it in waist high water if you don't want to have to explain to anyone... lol ) Weight belts are like $30 and soft weightsw are about $3 a pound.... rocks will do.

And you're right. The current is probably too strong in that location. You should see Joe and I sometimes... We don't have weight belts yet, so sometimes when he dives and needs more time underwater, I have to push down on his back so he won't float back up. He'll be having a hard time and holler to me through his snorkel, Come hold me down! It's pretty comical. Weight belts are coming soon, though.

I fan and dig with my feet in the soft sandy places and watch with my snorkel. Most of the time you'll be able to see the target and can slide your toes under it, catch it on the top of your foot, cradling it at the base of your toes.

Lowjiber
07-08-2010, 05:45 AM
First of all, you need a weight belt. But for now, put some big rocks in your pockets or rig them in a belt somehow. Just take them out of your pockets or whatever before you come out of the water ( do it in waist high water if you don't want to have to explain to anyone... lol )

Beef's in Florida. No rocks. :grin:

Seriously, I had a heck of a time until I got a long-handled scoop too.

Hang in there Buddy!!!!

Schrecky
07-08-2010, 02:52 PM
Hey, if you ever would like to make a run to Erie, PA I would meet you for a hunt on Presque Isle State Park. I do pretty well there. :)

SeabeeRon
07-08-2010, 06:59 PM
You crack me up Beef!! lol rofl

I tried to post a pic of a Manatee, but it didn't take. 8)

coinnut
07-08-2010, 07:07 PM
Once you get a long handle scoop, you'll be a pro at it :yes: Besides that scoop can help you stay put in the water as a crutch lol But I would have loved to see a video of you popping up 5 feet down from where you went in. :cheesysmile:

Beefcake
07-08-2010, 09:15 PM
Well, today went much better... I stayed within stubby arm length and the seas were much calmer today. I managed a nickel, penny, fake army dog tag, and a silver ring! woohoo!! The PI is doing quite well actually. It is very sensitive and it works well here because there isn't a ton of trash in the wet. The beaches seem to be really crowded for the middle of the week, so I think there will be some good targets. I have only seen one other detectorist using a bounty hunter in the dry sand and there have been no scoop trail marks in the morning in the dry sand. I saw much more scoop trails in St. Augustine. I'm going to take a look at the Jensen Beach cam and see if I can see myself and any others that might be hunting. I'll just die if there is a still of me flayling around on day 1...lol

tanacat
07-09-2010, 12:45 PM
I look like a manatee in distress..good grief!

Got any vids of that- I need a good laugh :poke: :poke: :poke:

lol Jk glad it went better yesterday & congrats on the silver ring!!!

Epi-hunter
07-09-2010, 07:25 PM
Somehow I missed your transition to water detecting beef :) I too would like to see a video lol No, seriously, congrats on your latest outing, sounds like you are getting the hang of it!

Remember, even Aquaman had to start somewhere lol

Beefcake
07-09-2010, 08:32 PM
Today was even better. The ocean was like glass today and I got there at low tide and had a lot of space to cover in knee deep water. I got a silver earring to start the day. Found a nice pocket of spilled change of quarters, dimes, nickels, and pennies. Then I got a really thick titanium mans wedding band that got my heart pumping. It was the exact size of the spinner ring I found a couple of years ago, but no spin. It's my first titanium ring I've ever found. I picked up two more junk earrings in the process. Pretty cool, I found no junk today! I am really liking the PI... it really sounds off when a target is near and does a really good job of pinpointing where to dig using the signal. No gold yet, but I got two silvers and a titanium so far...so all is good! Bring on the gold now!!! Still haven't seen any water detectors yet and only another Bounty hunter in the dry stuff. It's nice to get into the water because it doesn't seem to hold as much trash. The targets are spread apart quite a bit, but it sure gives you an excited feeling when you get that sharp tone to wake you up! Report back tomorrow, and I hope to get some pics up later.

SeabeeRon
07-09-2010, 08:57 PM
WTG Beef!! You are now a Waterman!! 8) :peace: :clapping:

Ill Digger
07-10-2010, 02:15 AM
Sounds like your getting the hang of it pretty quick :yes:
Your going to have to change the name of the tread lol
Can't wait to see the goodies :drool:
Congrats & Good luck :grin:....now go find some more thumbsup01

Lowjiber
07-10-2010, 08:04 AM
We're gonna have to change your name to WaterBug.

Great job Beef. You're a natural. thumbsup01 thumbsup01 thumbsup01 Can't wait to see the pictures.

tanacat
07-10-2010, 08:06 AM
:yes: I like Waterbug too lol Congrats on a good day in the water yesterday! Hoping for gold for you today- I bet that's where you are RIGHT NOW :)

Beefcake
07-10-2010, 09:55 PM
Tried bathtub beach again this evening to see what I could find...got there at high tide which kinda stunk, so I hit the wet sand and did a large part of the dry sand. Only found clad coinage and no jewelry. It was pretty neat though, I used my daughter's snorkel and mask and just looked around. The water was really clear and it was the first time I was able to snorkel on a reef... I never realized how many fish are at your feet in the ocean until now...wow! My girls got a little bit too much sun yesterday, so we avoided the heat of the day and did the evening thing. I'm headed back to the main beach tomorrow to try my luck again after the weekend crowds. Hope to get into some gold tomorrow!

Snowy
07-10-2010, 11:39 PM
Good luck tomorrow!

I wanna dive some reef next year. Dreamin.

CBnKansas
07-12-2010, 10:46 AM
Beef,
ditto on the sand scoop. Mine is the size of a small coffee can and it is a joke in the big water. Sounds like you are on a crash corse with some gold to me.

cb