PDA

View Full Version : Funny how fate works sometimes

BTV Digger
06-05-2015, 07:30 PM
So was curious to hike an overgrown Class 4 road here in town along which the 1857 map showed an old home site (gone on the 1869 map). After about a 1/2 mile hike I found the site, but alas it had no cellar hole or well...just a heap of stones. It was really off the beaten path (had to hike through about 200 yards of semi-swamp to get there) so imagined I'd find a few things. Unfortunately I only got a few lantern parts and some sort of old decorative piece. It's hinged in back so both ends appear to have rotated at one point; Perhaps a ladies accessory? Chime in if you have a guess. I was getting eaten alive by bugs so after about an hour decided to do some easy huntin' at a park just up the road where they have a farmers market every weekend. I knew I'd pull mainly clad but just wanted to take it easy for a change. I'm sure many of you can relate. Anyway, third target out of the ground some 5-10 minutes after putting the coil to the ground was nice .925 silver religious angel charm. Go figure...should've hit this place to start with. Hunted for another two hours and pulled almost 11 bucks from an area no larger than 2 basketball courts. Cellar holes/relics will always be my first choice, but a day off from the bugs n' briers can be a welcome change sometimes. Thanks for looking and reading my lengthy narrative.

John

del
06-05-2015, 09:48 PM
John , detecting cellar holes this time of year can be very challenging . With the heat and humidity , bugs , vegetation overgrowth , I admit sometimes its not fun especially when the finds are very slim to none at a site. keep a log of what you find at these sites (lantern parts are high sounding targets and a good indicator of other good finds around) to plan on later ventures there in the fall or spring when conditions aren't as harsh. you did very well at the park congrats on the silver and i'm at a loss for what your "odd" find is .

Dan

Lodge Scent
06-08-2015, 07:15 AM
My back is sore just from looking at all those dug coins! No idea on that hinged ornate thingy. It's not symmetrical so it's not likely something that was worn as a decoration. That's a stumper.

GA1dad
06-08-2015, 09:02 AM
Congrats on some neat finds, and braving the jungle!

Skamaniac
06-09-2015, 09:00 AM
Every once in a while it's nice to take it easy, isn't it? That's a lot of bending, stooping, kneeling, and rising again though, by the looks of it.

aloldstuff
06-09-2015, 05:49 PM
Nice huge clad haul and congrats on your sterling. Don't have a clue of what that hinged item is.

BTV Digger
06-10-2015, 05:45 PM
My back is sore just from looking at all those dug coins! No idea on that hinged ornate thingy. It's not symmetrical so it's not likely something that was worn as a decoration. That's a stumper.

Yeah, my knees were about to give out by the time I called it quits.

Fire Fighter 43
06-11-2015, 03:07 PM
You got yourself some gas money. Congrats on the piece of silver and relics, WTG.