PDA

View Full Version : Couple Capped Bust silvers...

Bucknut
06-17-2015, 02:41 PM
I just joined this forum and someone asked me to post the story of the Capped Bust coins that are in my avatar. So here goes...the short version...

I live up in Michigan but I grew up in central Ohio. In April I went on a detecting vacation for 3 days back where I grew up with my buddy who is also grew up from the same area but now lives in Tennessee. The first morning we went to a field site that I hit the previous Fall and found 9 coins (mostly Indians and a few early wheats but I did find an 1833 LC). This time I had a XP deus and about 30 minutes after we get there I came across a clear 97-98 signal...it was a beautiful signal. So I cut the plug and immediately I see a big silver. I called my buddy over and we picked it up and could see the date of 1812! We both just stood there dumbfounded really...did not know how to react to such an old coin that I never thought I would ever see in person let alone dig one up! It was also my first silver with the deus.

Then the next day we were driving to the next potential field site when we saw a small park in a small town that we have never been to before (I know this sounds like a Tony Two Cent video but this is how it happened) and decided to give it a quick go over with our Etracs. I got a silver rosie and then a merc within the first 15 minutes and then I came across a deep 12-40 12-41 signal...I figured it was a wheatie but when I cut the plug I saw in my dirt pile a small silver reeded rim with the word "America". I was 99% certain I had my first half dime as I went running over to my buddy. I let him pour water on it and he was just in disbelief as he told me it was another capped bust coin.

So there is the short version...we found lots of goodies. My buddy found a Civil War officers Sword Plate too! It was a crazy vacation...we were VERY fortunate!

Tony Two-Cent
06-17-2015, 02:50 PM
Those are two mind-blowing finds for sure! A Bust Half is at the top of my bucket list. I would do the happy dance for a week if I ever found one. Big silver over 200 years old, WOW!

The Bust Half Dime is a wonderful find as well. It's in great shape!

Congrats on the incredible back-to-back days! :perfect10:

Thanks for sharing with us. :thumbsup02:

BTV Digger
06-17-2015, 02:58 PM
Fantastic finds. Man that Deus really shines doesn't it? My buddy recently found an 1803 LC in a field we were hunting with a Deus. Coin was really deep, something like 12".

John

RIdirtdigger
06-17-2015, 04:19 PM
WOW, that must have been an incredible feeling!!! Wonderful story thanks for sharing

del
06-17-2015, 04:21 PM
what a couple of spectacular finds Jared :loveit:, you went from the biggest capped girl to the smallest . Two more to complete the set !;) hope you complete it soon .thanks for sharing the story !

Dan

SeabeeRon
06-17-2015, 04:24 PM
:shocked04::notworthy::loveit: No words.....:shocked05::drool:

OxShoeDrew
06-17-2015, 04:48 PM
My gosh, I'm still waiting to find any capped bust silver. The condition of that half dime is remarkable. So, take those silver coins out...AND YOU STILL HAVE A QUALITY HUNT!:lol: That large cent and 2 center look beautiful! Congrats!!

aloldstuff
06-17-2015, 05:43 PM
:wow::shocked05:Just getting one capped bust any denomination is a detecting feat but to get two of them and one being a half dollar is amazing. Thanks for posting this great story.

Ill Digger
06-17-2015, 09:23 PM
:shocked05: I'm with Ron! Don't really have words. A find of a lifetime X2 in two days! :shocked04:
Congrats!! :grin:

Oh and....Welcome to the forum! Whata entrance! :wow:

Full Metal Digger
06-18-2015, 12:05 PM
Thanks Jared for sharing with us. This is exactly why Tony and I take our road trip to Ohio every year! It's nearly impossible to find these early American coins in Illinois. Looking forward to seeing what else you find. HH, Dave.

wisconsin digger
06-18-2015, 04:01 PM
I'd take either of those as a life time find. great coins and great story. Thx WD

Fire Fighter 43
06-18-2015, 04:47 PM
Wow!! Amazing finds in my book, congrats and WTG.

Ronandari
06-18-2015, 05:59 PM
Seems like that was hunt to remember for sure. Congrats and Welcome to the forum.

jbolf6
07-08-2015, 03:00 PM
Absolutely amazing finds!

milco
07-29-2015, 10:06 AM
Welcome to AD! That is a great tale of some great finds! Congrats! Thanks for posting, these are the kind of posts that just get me juiced up for some detecting! OK lunch is done, back to work (AKA day dreaming about capped bust coins!)

Cheap Thrills
07-29-2015, 10:44 AM
Oh man , I don't know If I could survive the excitement of finds like those .Way to go and thanks for sharing .Welcome to the forum .

Skamaniac
07-29-2015, 11:27 AM
Awesome, in the literal sense of the word! Maybe everyone on the forum can take turns vacationing with you. :grin:

Hiluxyota
08-01-2015, 10:05 PM
Defiantly a best find of a lifetime with all those ...