PDA

View Full Version : Sash and Complete Knee Buckles, Colonial Cufflink, 1829 LC

OxShoeDrew
06-20-2015, 05:49 PM
Hi Friends,

I was able to get out at lunchtime for some diggin....I found a dateless LC, but I tried something different...I hit it hard with a brass brush until I could see the date. It worked!! 1829...but It's probs worthless now :lol:
The cufflink is in great condition but rang up low...Maybe they made tombac cufflinks??
The knee buckle swings like the day it was made!
I also hit that sash buckle with the brass brush and found all that detail and gold color...is there anything a brass brush can't do?:lol:
Bucket list-Jaw harp. Thanks!

del
06-20-2015, 07:09 PM
Drew , very nice cufflinks :clapping:they look silver to me , do they still ring out low now ??

as for the brass brush question .... it won't amuse your cat trying to brush his fur out !

Isaac
06-20-2015, 07:13 PM
Amazing finds once again Drew. Great knee buckle:shocked05:

OxShoeDrew
06-20-2015, 07:31 PM
:lol: at Dan.... hey seriously, we have 8 champion cats....anyone want one free of charge? :lol: not kidding though :shocked01:
Thanks Issac! That knee buckle kept wiggling when I tried to get a pic...best pin I've ever found.
Dan, I just took that cufflink outside with the one I found last year...a mercury dime rings up at 85, last year's (smaller) cufflink rang up at 71 and the one I just found rings up at 69. Last years is slightly more silvery looking. I'm wondering if they are silver but differing amounts of silver.

The Rebel
06-20-2015, 07:44 PM
Awesome finds Drew! Tough to say what I like the most but am leaning towards the buckle.

del
06-20-2015, 07:49 PM
:lol: at Dan.... hey seriously, we have 8 champion cats....anyone want one free of charge? :lol: not kidding though :shocked01:
Thanks Issac! That knee buckle kept wiggling when I tried to get a pic...best pin I've ever found.
Dan, I just took that cufflink outside with the one I found last year...a mercury dime rings up at 85, last year's (smaller) cufflink rang up at 71 and the one I just found rings up at 69. Last years is slightly more silvery looking. I'm wondering if they are silver but differing amounts of silver.

Drew i know you would appreciate the cat humor !:rofl:

the reading on the cufflink is pretty high and I think its definitely silver and makes them cufflinks a great find in my book ! congrats on a super hunt .

Trooper Bri
06-20-2015, 08:06 PM
Those are some great finds Drew! I'm drooling over here.

RIdirtdigger
06-21-2015, 07:10 AM
great finds. love the knee buckle and cuff links

Lodge Scent
06-21-2015, 11:29 AM
Nice digs there Drew. I think that's the biggest jaw harp that I've seen. :congrats:

Bell-Two
06-21-2015, 12:37 PM
Drew that is a nice buckle, without a date it had no real worth anyway

Pacivilwarluke
06-21-2015, 02:50 PM
Wow! Those are some awesome finds drew! Sweet knee buckle and the cuff links are incredible! Glad you could get a date off the LC!

OxShoeDrew
06-22-2015, 07:07 PM
Thanks everyone, Tony, just the other day I was reading about coins PCGS won't grade or slab for various reasons... and I don't think they'd grade many of the coins we find.:shocked01: So, as you probably know, date or no date there isn't much monetary value...but I love them just the same and wouldn't sell them.
Jeff, the guy must have had a big mouth :)

chief5709
06-23-2015, 06:56 AM
Great finds Drew! Those are the finds days that I like the most!

MangoAve
06-23-2015, 07:25 AM
Drew, I like the knee buckle and flower buckle. I did actually find my brass brush the other day while I was looking everywhere for the spline roller. (turns out the spline roller was "out in the open"...right on top of the work bench underneath the gf's random bag with junk that has been in the same spot for the past 18 months). Could the cuff links just be plated? Seeing as there is a significant difference in the VDIs you typed and how buttons were gilt....and how silver plating started around the same time as the matron you pulled.

Bucknut
06-23-2015, 08:36 AM
Sweet relics!

OxShoeDrew
06-23-2015, 02:15 PM
Thanks everyone, Jim I don't think the cufflinks are plated because they look colonial to me. :dontknow: Also, there are actually two sites in this area. I found the tombacs, knee buckle, and cufflinks on or near the cellar hole which according to the local historical society was abandoned by 1760(!!). The harp, sash, coin, and heal plate were found one pen away (100 yrds) from this hole ...and only 50 yrds away from a current house that was built in the 1860s. So the coin's date most likely wouldn't have anything to do with the cufflinks. Side note- These finds represent ALL the non-ferrous targets I could get my coil over. Very quiet area but when you hit something it was good.