PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Milwaukee!

Digger_O'Dell
06-20-2015, 09:23 PM
Hello everyone!
New again to the hobby, haven't had a machine since my last failed attempt with a cheapo detector back sometime around 1978. So recently went to a somewhat close detector/hobby shop looking to buy a Whites machine figuring it was the best bang for the buck in my price range. Go figure-I ended up walking out with a Minelabs X-Terra 705 gold pack at about 3 times what I had planned to spend! But I have to say I have no regrets! My how technology has changed in 35 plus years. Detector pretty much does everything but dig up the targets for me!
So now also added a Garrett pro pointer which has sped up the extraction process many fold, and no longer giving up on those deep "empty" holes where I was sure I was missing something after getting a strong signal at the beginning. I have now worked several parks, an abandoned farm, and a beach loaded with black sand, so learning the tricks to getting the most out of difficult detecting situations quite rapidly.
As for recent notable finds:

An antique brass pocket watch chain
One silver Roosevelt dime
Found a coin spill of 26 Mercs, many in uncirculated or near uncirculated condition
Two Barber dimes (1914 and 1916)
Many old buttons, pins, rifle casings, junk jewelry, and lots of beer change

Still looking for that gold!

Digger Don
06-20-2015, 11:47 PM
26 Mercs in one hole? :wow:
I'm already in awe. I would love to see some of your Pics.
:congrats:

Digger_O'Dell
06-21-2015, 12:32 AM
Thanks!
Just posted them under the coinshooting stories

Skamaniac
06-21-2015, 02:06 AM
Welcome from Washington state. I just checked out your merc photos. That ought to about get you hooked I'd think!

Digger_O'Dell
06-21-2015, 02:48 AM
Thanks Skamaniac!,
Yes, most definitely hooked! So many potential areas to search so little time. Researched a lot of old areas close to home that are public, yet little known and probably virgin ground. Hope to have a lot more great finds soon!

OxShoeDrew
06-21-2015, 04:46 AM
Sounds like you have all kinds of hunting areas :thumbsup01: Best of luck and welcome to the group!

aloldstuff
06-21-2015, 09:08 AM
Looks to me like spending 3x your budget has started to pay off. Welcome from western MA and I will now go check out that merc spill.

USN Retired
06-21-2015, 02:22 PM
Welcome from SW GA

leslie(nova scotia)
06-24-2015, 10:47 AM
Wowzer. Welcome aboard and i see that you havd a silver honey hole. Gutz to love this hobby!

del
06-29-2015, 02:52 AM
Hello and welcome Digger_O'Dell , glad you found and joined the forum:waving:

Dan

mownomo
07-05-2015, 04:37 PM
Hi Digger_O'dell,
Welcome from The Lone Star State. Glad you found the forum. Sounds like you've hit the road runnin'. You find list is most impressive. You are so right. The technology is really on a non-linear curve with the time. Hope to see more of your finds. God bless you and yours.

dantheman2745
07-26-2015, 09:20 PM
Hi Digger_O'dell, i live near Milwaukee and im wondering where you hunt im new to metal detecting and need to know where i can hunt. I know some people dont like to tell their spots but im just wondering the places i should start hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

milco
08-09-2015, 08:47 PM
Welcome, also from Milwaukee!

Digger_O'Dell
08-10-2015, 10:56 PM
Hello fellow Milwaukee ans!

Hi Digger_O'dell, i live near Milwaukee and im wondering where you hunt im new to metal detecting and need to know where i can hunt. I know some people dont like to tell their spots but im just wondering the places i should start hunting.

Dan, you can hit up any of the parks you like-just watch out for the many events in the area. Also be careful in the city as I suspect it wouldn't take much for someone to rob you of your detector in many areas. I've had run across plenty of unpleasant people in the parks.
You can also hit up the beaches-we have plenty of sandy shoreline as you know. Just make sure you and your machine can handle black sand conditions. You also may want to research abandoned places around town, and outside the city. There are countless places in the region to detect in.