PDA

View Full Version : White's New Coinmaster

Epi-hunter
11-11-2009, 06:56 PM
I've just been reading a little about this new detector that White's is introducing for the holidays, at $180. It sounds like they took the Prizm III and made it red (RED! :shocked04: ), renamed it, and dropped the price. It should compete nicely with the ACE250, at around $30 cheaper. The features seem to be about the same except that the new Coinmaster doesn't have ToneID. I was curious if anyone else knows more about it.

MNDigger
11-12-2009, 08:50 AM
I guess I have not really heard anything about it. Sounds like it will be a good entry level machine!

Lowjiber
11-12-2009, 10:31 AM
I've just been reading a little about this new detector that White's is introducing for the holidays, at $180. It sounds like they took the Prizm III and made it red (RED! :shocked04: ), renamed it, and dropped the price. It should compete nicely with the ACE250, at around $30 cheaper. The features seem to be about the same except that the new Coinmaster doesn't have ToneID. I was curious if anyone else knows more about it.

I don't think the new Coinmaster has Tone ID either. It's really a Prizim III in different clothing. White's installed Tone ID in the Prizim IV thru 6T.

Below is a picture of the complete machine, along with two pictures of the Coinmaster and PrizimIII screens. It's a bit confusing because the screenshot of the Coinmaster screen still shows a black case.

I've seen one. Trust me...they're red. :rolleyes:

MNDigger
11-12-2009, 11:33 AM
Maybe White's thought they needed to add a little flare to their new machine! I really don't like when ANY company comes out with a product that is the same thing they always had but just give it a new name and dramatic color in this case! :shocked04:

OkieDigger
11-12-2009, 12:16 PM
MXT and DFX 300 come to mind. New paint, new coil, same machine. There's nothing wrong with it, they're good machines, but there's really nothing new about them.

Dave
11-12-2009, 12:35 PM
Okay, you guy's I'm looking at this one for the price. To me, thats not a bad deal. The question.... Is this a better machine than the Garrett Ace 250? :huh:

Lowjiber
11-12-2009, 02:22 PM
Okay, you guy's I'm looking at this one for the price. To me, thats not a bad deal. The question.... Is this a better machine than the Garrett Ace 250? :huh:

I have a Prizim III and an Ace 250. IMHO, the 250 is a better machine. While both are really entry-level machines without ground balancing capability, there are differences that are significant...

1. The high end of sensitivity on the Ace is higher than the Prizim. You quite often have to drop the Ace's sens adjustment...whereas, the Prizim needs to run full out most of the time. (Again, just my observation.)

2. The Ace gives you the ability to notch out multiple ranges in the disc scale. The Prizim III allows one notch.

3. While we all know the benefits of a slow swing, the recovery rate of the Prizim is a bit slower than the Ace.

4. The Prizim is a single tone machine. That's fine, but some prefer multiple tones. The Ace sounds like an ice cream truck, but has multiple tones. lol

5. A SunRay probe is manufactured for the Ace...not so on the Prizim. Don't laugh, my wife won't hunt the Ace without the YF-1 installed. :shocked04:

Please don't misunderstand...both are nice machines. You can't go wrong with either...IMHO.

OkieDigger
11-12-2009, 02:32 PM
I could be way off base here, but I have to say that I wouldn't use a White's machine lower than the Prizm 6T or Matrix M6. I know that price plays a significant choice for many people (thus eliminating most choices), but Lowjiber is probably right on choosing the Ace 250 over this new White's machine. However, you could always check other brands. I have used the low end Garrett machines before and I didn't feel like (for the price point) I was being cheated out of features or finds in anyway. Hopefully that makes sense.

MNDigger
11-12-2009, 03:30 PM
4. The Prizim is a single tone machine. That's fine, but some prefer multiple tones. The Ace sounds like an ice cream truck, but has multiple tones. lol

lol lol lol lol

coinnut
11-12-2009, 05:46 PM
I'm a firm believer in buying an older higher end unit, than buying a brand new low end unit. Look around and wait for a good used unit. It will out perform that new unit any day. Here's one I saw a while back. An old (1991ish) White's Eagle Spectrum for around $250.00. It looked almost unused. Yes, it's a dinosaur, and yes it's heavy, but it will kick tail on those other two units. Just my obv's thought.

Epi-hunter
11-12-2009, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the info everyone. I personally would not like the single tone machine... I prefer ice cream trucks lol

Good point George about buying a used unit instead of an entry level unit such as the ACE250 or this new Coinmaster, or the F2. I know that when I picked up the hobby around six years ago, despite doing a lot of reading and studying (I'm a researcher at heart) I felt like too much of a newbie to know what used detector would serve me well, so I veered toward the newer technology because everyone was recommending it and saying it was the way to go. Wish I would have known you guys back then. :)

I did have fun with the ACE250 though and I still have it. It kills on jewelry.

RWJR13
11-13-2009, 05:22 AM
It's a great unit to get started with..... thumbsup01

bmattioli
11-14-2009, 10:37 AM
Here's one I saw a while back. An old (1991ish) White's Eagle Spectrum for around $250.00. It looked almost unused. Yes, it's a dinosaur, and yes it's heavy, but it will kick tail on those other two units. Just my obv's thought.

That's what I bought for an upgrade to my Ace250. It did very well for me and didn't mind the weight at all.. Got my DFX from Steve and now looking for a deal on an E-Trac.. Anyone got one for sale? ;)

Bruce

coinnut
11-14-2009, 03:36 PM
That's what I bought for an upgrade to my Ace250. It did very well for me and didn't mind the weight at all.. Got my DFX from Steve and now looking for a deal on an E-Trac.. Anyone got one for sale? ;)

Bruce

Good luck finding a deal on the E trac. Unless you catch someone just not clicking with it, you probably won't find one for too much less that the 1500.00 price tag. But if you do, you will love the trash separation and depth. Just takes a bit of getting used to. Definitely different from running a White's.

Jason in Enid
11-15-2009, 11:47 AM
Actually, I've seen several E-Tracs for sale lately for just under $1000. Maybe they didn't like the tones, or are selling becuase of the winter season, but there are some to be had.

And for the record, I hate it when companies rebadge existing gear like it's something new. And RED?! WTH man? White's have generally been blue or black. What's up with the red?

RWJR13
11-15-2009, 11:59 AM
.......Guess I'll find out soon.. :shocked04:..Sending my order out today on one.. ;)...friend of mine at the club want's to check it out.... thumbsup01

RWJR13
11-20-2009, 05:43 PM
Got the Coinmaster yesterday... :grin:..Sharp looking detector... thumbsup01....Now of course it's raining and I have to work this weekend... :crying02:.....I'll see if I get time somehow to use it.......

woodchuck
05-31-2010, 07:18 PM
The Prizm V could be set low,med or high tone or all eight tones depending on what you wanted. :interesting:

channelmaniac
12-30-2010, 11:15 PM
As a follow-up on this thread...

White's released the Coinmaster Pro which is similar to the Prizm IV with 3 tones on the Tone ID and Smart Notch to help knock out pull tabs.

The Coinmaster and Coinmaster Pro use all the same coils and accessories as the Prizm series.

I have a post on the White's forum about some advanced techniques when using theses models. I hope the mods don't mind me linking to it.

http://forums.whiteselectronics.com/showthread.php?3468-Advanced-detecting-with-the-Prizms-amp-Coinmaster

And a post on coil options

http://forums.whiteselectronics.com/showthread.php?51875-Coil-choices-for-the-Prizm-Coinmaster-series

Hope you find them helpful!

My favorite tot lot detector is a Prizm IV with the 4 x 6 shooter coil that lets me find things next to the concrete borders and around metal poles and under the playground equipment that others miss. :)

RJ

CyberSage
12-31-2010, 10:12 AM
The links are no problem at all Raymond. Thanks for the helpful tips.

Jack

midas
01-07-2011, 08:15 AM
The new Coinmaster machines are a great buy for the beginner, kids, or as a backup machine. I tried the Coinmaster when I first received it. It does not get the same depth as the MXT or V3i, but for a LOW priced machine, it is very capable. It is a silent search machine with depth on air test of 8 inches for a quarter. It is a turn on and go machine and VERY lightweight. You hardly know you're holding a detector.

jcbdc
01-26-2012, 01:42 PM
I got my coinmaster pro last week. Had a stroke last year and wanted the exercise to regain what brain and muscle I have lost. My dealer picked this unit for it's turn on and go fetures. Was ready to spend more but he felt this was best for me. He was correct! Have been in my yard between rains. No coins yet but I am getting much needed exercise. Need work on pinpointing targets. My old machine was a classic lll.

Joe
Rockford, TN

lee
01-26-2012, 03:36 PM
ive got one !!!! and it knocks the garrett 250 into a cocked hat for depth,my mates got a 250 and we tested my coinmaster up against his and the depth mine got over a gold ring was unreal....nearly 3 feet !!!!!!.
the coinmaster is the only detector i have and as you can see by my finds in other posts its no slouch.
realy well made and a simple touch and go....no tone id but my god does this thing home in on silver !!!!!

POKIE73
01-30-2012, 08:13 PM
we got the coinmaster pro for my grandson he just loves it he had a little trouble with the ace 250 i think the ace you had to have a ear for the different tones thats why i think he s truggled with it he has found his first silver quarter and his first silver half and he seems to work it pretty well dennis

tanacat
02-23-2012, 08:09 PM
My friend has one and we hunt together quite often... she hasn't found any silver with it (yet) but she has found a couple IH's and jewelry. I'm thinking about getting one for my 4 yr old son w/a mini-pole...

Thanks for all the input! I think I'm sold |:cheering: It's a great price for the quality, plus lightweight for 'lil ones. Glad to hear that people are pulling some silver out of the ground with this one :yes: