PDA

View Full Version : First V.. and buff

MangoAve
06-23-2015, 09:06 AM
I haven't been out in a while if anyone actually paid attention I haven't been on the forum much either. Just after memorial day I had to put up with something I have been dealing/battling with for almost 10 years now... no, not the significant other. :lol: Then last week after doing the yard work and sharpening the hatchet and axe...I managed to get iron in both eyes. It didn't actually bother me until hours later when the saline caused the iron to rust. The gf mentioned both these things... and said I just can't win. Too bad she doesn't seem to want to set time aside for me to get out to detect. Last Wed I got a a dremel to the eyeball to clear up a rust ring and being healed around Friday. Wed afterward I did actually get about 40 min at a ruin site right off the road for an old mill finding only a big gear and some junk, until the gf complained and wanted to go home. I took her detector out of the car cuz she wasn't finding time to get out with me to detect. Oh, and I was using my sunglasses to manage while detecting. And I know why I didn't find much...the mill site actually existed up until 2006 and was much larger than what the 1868 map showed. I need to go back and hit the area outside the building's "footprint".

Last night I managed to get out to an older park with Bama. The old map doesn't show houses near there, but it could be just a fluke and maybe it would show up on an adjacent town's map showing this town's 'center'. The streets looks the same.. but to have no houses on them. There are a bunch of early 1900s houses with a few Greek revival styles and late 1800s Victorian styles and maybe a few mid 1800s colonials. I hit the park alone before for only an hour and a half finding clad and a dog keychain/bracelet pendant. This time it started out with clad again but Bama managed to find a nice celtic silver ring right on the surface. I was jealous for a bit. When I was swinging over near a sidewalk I was getting some erratic readings. It seemed a large area was like this. I moved over to the other side and was able to depict some zincolns... and not get any erratic signals. Then It hit me that the walk lights were now on. That was probably the source. Back towards some picnic tables I was expecting a bunch of trash...yet somehow I managed to pull a 1919 wheat. Maybe 10 feet away near an old tree I got a mid-high tone. It was a little harder to pinpoint but I managed to pop out two nickels. They were stuck together. It was my first buffalo, and my first V, in the same hole. That point was a bit of redemption. I should have taken a picture of the coins before water touched them cuz the back of the buff turned red as soon as the toothbrush and water hit it. After trying to clean some flaking off the V, the date is now not as prominent even tho the stars are now more visible. The back of the buff looked like the front does, when it came up. Not now....ugh. The buff had a date of 1918 and the V was 1902. Slightly odd variation in dates, but not all that odd apparently. The last item is almost a what is it. Completely different than what I pictured when it was still caked with dirt. I thought the bumps on the surface was similar to the stars around a matron or V. Bama mentioned it could be a feather clamp.

Tony Two-Cent
06-23-2015, 09:34 AM
Congrats on your first V Nickel and first Buffalo Nickel! How cool that they were stuck together like that! That's a great coin spill. I once found a V Nickel stuck to a Standing Liberty Quarter.

I hope your eyes are better now. Maybe that Dremel tool did the trick. :thumbsup01:

:congrats:

MangoAve
06-23-2015, 10:25 AM
Congrats on your first V Nickel and first Buffalo Nickel! How cool that they were stuck together like that! That's a great coin spill. I once found a V Nickel stuck to a Standing Liberty Quarter.
I hope your eyes are better now. Maybe that Dremel tool did the trick.

Thanks Tony. Glad to finally pull two first up. I can pull up worn coppers and some 30's/40's coins.. but no intermediaries???

Yup, the eyes are much better. Actually the particle came from my variable speed dremel, but it was the ophthalmologist who used her special dremel on my eye. It looks like the metal pin extractors and surprisingly even tho it cringe learning what gets done I didn't feel the tool touch the eye. Those particles can apparently get into your hair and then later end up in your eye.

Digger Don
06-23-2015, 10:58 AM
Congrats on your first V & Buff. Thats what I call a great coin spill.
I'm glad you can see again, I know how it is having messed up eye sight.
I just had cataract surgery a couple weeks ago. being able to see again is a wonderful thing.
Two words of advise " SAFETY GLASSES" LOL

Lodge Scent
06-23-2015, 11:16 AM
That's a great way to score a couple of firsts :thumbsup01:

Bucknut
06-23-2015, 12:59 PM
2 firsts in 1 hole! nice!

OxShoeDrew
06-23-2015, 02:45 PM
I've been paying attention and was wondering where you've been. I hope you finally put your problem to rest (and your eyes are ok).
I usually post more than people want :) but one time I went 3 weeks without posting....I think I had Lyme or something....but no one noticed :lol: They might have noticed but were so happy I wasn't posting that they didn't want to jinx it by saying anything. :lol:
Two firsts in one hunt is a rarity...so is a dateable buff! Congrats!

Digger_O'Dell
06-23-2015, 03:27 PM
nice find-WTG!

MIKE54
06-23-2015, 04:34 PM
What did the iron in your eyeball ring up as on your machine?? Hope it's better. I'm surprised a UTC guy like yourself didn't have the proper PPE on (as referenced by Digger Don). Yeah, I noticed your absense but like you, I haven't got out much lately. Shoot me a text next week and I'll take a ride up if you want to go out for a hunt. Nice hit on the nickels,Jim !!!

aloldstuff
06-23-2015, 06:07 PM
Jim, nice little nickel spill and huge congrats on getting two 1st's out of the way. Many years ago I did the same thing with a grinder and of course the PPE was not used.
I have noticed that you've been lacking in posting as I have been. I'm waiting for the machine to get back from White's.

Dan
06-24-2015, 01:39 AM
Congrats on the two Nickels, you need to work that park over some more!

MangoAve
06-24-2015, 07:00 AM
Thanks Rog, Buck and O'dell. Ummm... Don and Mike, I did say that the pieces can stick into your hair and fall into your eye later on. Mike, you know how long my hair is now. BUT I will say too since you, Mike, know about always wearing PPE, it's annoying to always have to wear them. I have to wear them just to sit in front of a computer screen? Since the last couple of weeks had half days and day off for an injury...next week may need to have a day off to keep the trend up. Lol. (or a Saturday.)

Drew, the long time problem will take a bit longer to 'fix'. Without getting into it all, I do see why people should find the natural ways because those usually fix the real underlying issue. I didn't look into the natural way until earlier this year.
You don't usually expand much when you do post, which is how I misread about the cufflinks. Some members post novels, some post only pictures and a quick blurb. There's no right way. The novels do provide a little insight to the how, but can easily lose certain people's interest. If those who were happy you weren't posting, then it's because they are jealous on what you are pulling up. And yup, I was happy I could get a dateable buff as the first one. Or even a V for that matter cuz you can see how bad the majority of them come out of the ground.

Al, I thought you were rockin' the spare prism? No good finds? So used to your regular machine? or just lack of effort thinking you won't do well without the main machine? Thanks tho. Any coin was long overdue. The last notable coins I got were on Memorial Day when the only three coins I got at an old school were a '45 nickel...just shy of being a silver war nickel, and a '29 wheat, and the only other solid copper just had to be a '59. The first darn year they started with the memorial.

Dan, If I didn't get these coins I was about to write this place off. There are so many I have on the list to try that a place with only clad isn't worth it. But now I at least can see it has some potential after all. Thanks tho.

Isaac
06-24-2015, 01:10 PM
Great spill!!! The most old nickels I've popped from one hole is two V nickels and an Indian :) nice spill, buff is pretty good condition!

MangoAve
06-25-2015, 06:28 AM
Thanks Isaac. Nickels aren't usually that easy to come by for some odd reason. Anyway, I forgot to add the piece of the toy gun I pulled up...and I looked back at my previous started threads and this never made it here. It only made it to the group forum on FB. It was just a meager find but I can include it here now within a thread. The 1 Rand came up in a pocket spill of clad. There was 26 coins in the pocket spill which is ridonculous. The site for the Rand was a school yard, but there used to be a house on the lot back in 1868. They tore the house down to make the school. There is a big tree in the far corner of the lot but the oldest coins I was able to score were about as old as the school. Prob the construction and leveling and layering dirt made it impossible to find the older stuff.

MangoAve
06-26-2015, 07:29 AM
I went back last night with Bama. I only nabbed 1 more wheat, a 1918, near where I got the buff and V and other early wheat. I did manage a nice pocket spill totaling $1.51. However while out there a few locals stopped by and talked to us. Sure enough, they brought up, without any explanation from us as what we found and where, that they found a bunch of IH and older coins in the same area where I been finding them. They even mentioned about others hitting the park as well as the nearby park and the 'green'. In other words, it's apparent this place has been hit fairly hard and maybe time to look at another spot. I did, however, look at the town map and saw another spot marked with the same definition as on two other old town maps. And a nearby defunct park. One of the guys did say we were welcome to come by and try his yard sometime even tho he has pounded it with his detector. Btw, I didn't get to the permission site because Bama wanted to hit the park again.

GA1dad
06-26-2015, 11:50 AM
Congrats on he first's my friend!!

wisconsin digger
06-27-2015, 06:22 AM
Nice job on the old coins. Just found my first "V" of the year (matter of fact last 2 years). Great finds WD