PDA

View Full Version : Old mill site finds.

MangoAve
06-25-2015, 06:52 AM
Yesterday since a permission didn't go through I decided to hit a public place. There is an old mill site but it is off in the woods and I was hoping no one ever thought to check this site before. There might be some potential here but I will need to bring my machete to cut the small brush. The little ferns and skunk cabbage weren't the problem. The old map shows only one large building. The 1934 aerial there is only a wooded area. I definitely found two buildings, or one foundation and one depression with rocks around it.

Two large gears were unearthed. They look like they are the same type but found in different spots. They are about 9 or 10 inches diameter so they are nothing small. The notable finds were an old fishing reel or that's what it looks like, and the old style metal container for milk that looks like the large coffee pots typical of an old diner. There was also a fork I pulled up which I am hoping someone knows a lot about silverware. It read up in the silver range. I already tested it with a magnet and there is no iron. It is not a stainless steel fork. I am wondering if it is silver. All I got on the back is the letter B which is stamped into the metal and then the logo which to me looks like a mushroom and an S in the tip. Below that is pat'd...but it is broken there. Any other useful information on the handle is gone somewhere, possibly in the ground still. It might have been a masked signal or just didn't swing over it.

Full Metal Digger
06-25-2015, 07:18 AM
Yes, the fork is silver. Good find. HH, Dave.

Tony Two-Cent
06-25-2015, 07:20 AM
I agree with DaddyDigger, the fork definitely looks like silver! That's a really cool find! :thumbsup02:

MangoAve
06-25-2015, 07:23 AM
Yes, the fork is silver. Good find. HH, Dave.

Lol.. I needed to look under a scope and turn it the right way. You are right...it is sterling. Once I turned it the right way I could see it is actually a medieval helmet above a shield with an S in the shield. I just can't quite distinguish if it belongs to the International Sterling company or the J.S. Co CW sterling.
http://www.asyoulikeitsilvershop.com/marks/InternationalMarks.jpg

OxShoeDrew
06-25-2015, 09:46 AM
Nice hunk of silver Jim! I hope you can find a maker. I find lots of Oneida Co. cutlery in our area. :canada:

MangoAve
06-25-2015, 11:07 AM
Thanks Tony. Odd how further research I can narrow down the manufacture date a bit, but it was after the mill building was gone. Drew, I did find the maker. It must be International Silver which was a collection of silversmiths from New England. The J.S. Co (with the C W for Watrous Manufacturing from Wallingford) was part of the collection. ANNNDDD apparently your Oneida is involved. International sold off the silver plate division in 1981 to Oneida. I went through the site below and tried to use the pictures of the flatware designs with first production dates but I didn't find anything exact. I am guessing it was made sometime between 1930 and 1950. What I got is at least solid silver. Now I am hoping to clean up the tin piece to see if there is any info on it. Maybe not tonight tho...gonna try to go to a permission I got around memorial day. The area is named for the family which owned three houses there. The down side is it happens to be the newest house at 1840, but the upside is that it has the most land to it including farm fields.

http://www.silvercollection.it/INTERNATIONALSILVERCO.html

del
06-25-2015, 01:55 PM
Hey Jim good to see you posting again (yes i noticed your absent here and facebook just until recently too) congrats on the silver fork piece , the second picture almost looks like an old fly fishing reel part . Mill sites can be very productive areas and also very trashy spots too , I bet you will get more goodies there next time .

Dan

Lodge Scent
06-25-2015, 06:38 PM
Nice digs! It seams that silver spoons and knifes are more commonly found than a fork. Good hunt.

Bell-Two
06-25-2015, 08:53 PM
A piece of silver is always pleasant to find.

GA1dad
06-26-2015, 11:52 AM
Being a fly fisherman,,, I like the old fly reel!