PDA

View Full Version : 1'st colonial shoe buckle, and an old ring - 6/25

Trooper Bri
06-26-2015, 06:07 PM
Got an invite from Charlie earlier in the week inviting me to take a ride back up to New Hampshire Thursday to join him and Henry for some woods crawling. Heck yeah, always an adventure with that crew. Packed up for an overnight stay, and drove up yesterday morning.

First on the agenda was to hike into an area that was a small colonial settlement to search for one site that they haven't found yet. And it's in a gnarly area. Spent a couple hours doing some real bushwhacking, and becoming human tick trolleys. Never found it and moved along.
Next stop was a site unfamiliar to them, but it coughed up a some goodies, and very likely one of the freakiest things I'll ever see get dug. No spoilers for now since it's not my find. But I will come back to this since I was the guy who volunteered to extract and open the find.

Within 2 minutes of starting I get an iffy tone deep. Kick back the leaves and it goes from iffy to promising, 8 inches down. It wound up being 9 inches down, my first real buckle! A small one though, only 2". Guessing it's for a child? Looked pretty out of the ground, but once it dried it's started flaking apart some.

That was it for a while for me other than crunk and a mystery item. Those guys did pretty good with the buttons, a thimble, and other doo-dads.
Near the end of the day I finally get what the V3i is sure is a button. Nope, some kind of ring. It's a bit toasty too, so all I have is a seam to hopefully identify how old it might be. Dealt with the mystery dig not long after that, then we headed out around 7PM.

del
06-26-2015, 06:34 PM
Hey Brian , congrats on your first shoe buckle :cheering::happydance01::cheering:that must of been an awesome feeling when you realized what you had !! congrats

Trooper Bri
06-26-2015, 07:31 PM
Thanks Dan. It came out in a ball of dirt and I could see the curved edge with all that green and knew what I had. I have it on vid, but no shots of it still in the ball (too excited and forgot). Bummer it's going to toast, but it's better than not having one.

del
06-26-2015, 08:09 PM
No the crusty layer is just peeling off Brian , this happens on some of the older brass/copper alloys . Question , does it look very rough and very "chalky" green under those areas ? or is it look just green ? better yet bring it tomorrow and I'll give it a real good look and share how I would better preserve it .

Dan

Trooper Bri
06-26-2015, 08:22 PM
Yeah, it's chalky under the layer flaking off. It has some sort of design on it (2'nd pic), but it's coming off too. I'll bring it along.

Isaac
06-27-2015, 12:04 AM
Very nice shoe buckle and the ring looks very old too. Congratulations :clapping:

OxShoeDrew
06-27-2015, 03:50 AM
I hope it turns out nice Brian, maybe there'll be some details on the ring too. I love the lichen on the wall too! Great catch! :loveit::canada:

Bell-Two
06-27-2015, 05:05 PM
Nice save on that shoe buckle would love to find one still on my bucket list!

donald sutphin
06-27-2015, 07:48 PM
Dang you fellas have all the great finds up north . Nice.

Lodge Scent
06-27-2015, 08:56 PM
Very cool! Congrats on that first complete one. I am sure there will be more.

HEAVYMETALNUT
07-01-2015, 08:03 AM
congrats and long overdue!

CTTodd
07-02-2015, 05:59 PM
Nice one. I remember my first one it was a great feeling.

BTV Digger
07-04-2015, 11:21 AM
Very nice buckle. Congrats on your first.

John