PDA

View Full Version : humid hot cellar hunt with Coinnut

del
07-10-2010, 04:43 PM
whew, it was a buggy muggy one today with a threat of thunderstorms , so of course George and i jumped at the chance to play in the dirt , get rained on and possibly get hit by lightning all in the same day. :crazy: :peace: :crazy: lol rofl well we got lucky as the rain and thunder held off til about noon time :happydance01: :happydance01: but the mosquitos and deer flies were out in full force :mad: ( thank God for deet and bug-net hats ) lol lol the 3 sites that we hit today were all detected before pretty well by us a few times before over the years but all have lots of area to cover , i think we must of done a pretty good job as there wasn't alot left behind and you had to walk out pretty far from the sites to score some of the items . all 3 cellars are in that perfect time period George and i strive to find (mid 1700;s to only the early 1800's) .

del
07-10-2010, 04:49 PM
well i got a few buttons and a couple of spoon handles some lead a modern memorial (1967 year i was born , strange huh at a colonial site too) , a very nice complete colonial knee buckle and a 1862 indian in nice shape too. their small buckles so i posted it in my hand for size and then posted a close-up to show the strange looking (anchor like ) chape and tongue that differs them from shoe buckles . ah it was great to get out today , thanks for looking and HH.

Dan

sniffy
07-10-2010, 05:19 PM
Man that buckle is SAAAAAAAAAAWEEEEET!

HEAVYMETALNUT
07-10-2010, 05:55 PM
nice Ih and buckle! wish we had some luck today.we ventured way out and found 3 sites that were clean as a whistle :crying02:
maybe tomorrow will bring better luck :confused:

Epi-hunter
07-10-2010, 06:03 PM
That is a beautiful buckle!!! Great IH too. You two are crazy to go out in this weather though :shocked04:

coinnut
07-10-2010, 06:51 PM
Nice Indian :clapping: Don't you just love the coins from that site? The person that was first there must have quite a collection :yes: I did average today for some hit sites. Not much to show. My best finds are the thimble and the suspender clip. The Pewter buttons didn't hold up well and the rest of the flat buttons are plain. Had my share of clad too. It was good to get out except for them Deer flies :mad:

angellionel
07-10-2010, 07:03 PM
I can't stand those deer flies! It sounds like you guys were prepared for them though. I would be to the point where I would want to use a flamethrower on them. :cheesysmile: lol At least there were some relics left to be found. The 1862 Indian Head cent sure is sweet! I like the old buttons too. :yes:

Ill Digger
07-10-2010, 10:42 PM
I'm amazed at how many flat buttons you guyz find :shocked01:
You guys find so many, your to the point of good & bad ones lol
But I know it's hard to put a date on a plain button :yes: lol
Dan, that IH is in terrific shape shape!!! :yes: thumbsup01
Nice hunt boyz thumbsup01
Congrats :grin:

HEAVYMETALNUT
07-10-2010, 11:49 PM
Nice Indian :clapping: Don't you just love the coins from that site? The person that was first there must have quite a collection :yes: I did average today for some hit sites. Not much to show. My best finds are the thimble and the suspender clip. The Pewter buttons didn't hold up well and the rest of the flat buttons are plain. Had my share of clad too. It was good to get out except for them Deer flies :mad:

what no IH? :behave: :bop: you let us down G :huh: some nice buttons and hell yeah it was humid today ugggh.i can feel something good tomorrow coming.we all got skunked today.sniffy,frank and myself.i found the top part of a harmonica with the writing.1871 date i think.last hunt was one plain cloak button and the hunt before a lone ox knob.24 hours of hot n humid,drenched in sweat,covered with deer flies,eyeball diving black flies and a back full of mosquito bitten hunting and 3 keepers rofl.
it's not all coppers and keepers everyone :embarrassed:

John M
07-11-2010, 08:55 AM
Not a bad relic day guys for sites that have been hit.Dan that buckle is a different design,I haven't seen one like that.Nice take for a hot & humid day.

del
07-11-2010, 12:10 PM
Man that buckle is SAAAAAAAAAAWEEEEET!

nice Ih and buckle! wish we had some luck today.we ventured way out and found 3 sites that were clean as a whistle :crying02:
maybe tomorrow will bring better luck :confused:

thanks Jesse and Dave , i'm sure you guys will do better today

You two are crazy to go out in this weather though :shocked04:

we hear that alot Angie lol lol

I can't stand those deer flies! It sounds like you guys were prepared for them though. I would be to the point where I would want to use a flamethrower on them. :cheesysmile: lol At least there were some relics left to be found. The 1862 Indian Head cent sure is sweet! I like the old buttons too. :yes:

thanks Angel yeah were usually prepared for most scenarios as i had a rain poncho with me but luckily didn't have to use it,an oh i brought George's bright long metallic copper helmet that makes him feel safe from the loud boom booms. :devilish: lol rofl rofl

I'm amazed at how many flat buttons you guyz find :shocked01:
You guys find so many, your to the point of good & bad ones lol
But I know it's hard to put a date on a plain button :yes: lol
Dan, that IH is in terrific shape shape!!! :yes: thumbsup01
Nice hunt boyz thumbsup01
Congrats :grin:

thanks Ill Digger , i've got thousands of buttons now and even the plain ones you can get a pretty acurate date on when they were being used and popular , whats amazing is how many didn't have any backmark at all . what a waste of free advertising space lol lol

Not a bad relic day guys for sites that have been hit.Dan that buckle is a different design,I haven't seen one like that.Nice take for a hot & humid day.

thanks John ,all most all knee 1700's era buckles have the 3 characteristics to identify them no.1 is there alot smaller than shoe buckles.no.2 the cross pin usually runs down the length of the frame and not the width unless they are square in shape and no.3 is the traditional shaped chape
( anchor like shape ) like this one

Dan

SeabeeRon
07-11-2010, 12:24 PM
It amazes me the conditions you guys hunt it! :shocked04: I'm getting soft digging in the sand! 8) :beatdown:

coinnut
07-11-2010, 02:52 PM
It amazes me the conditions you guys hunt it! :shocked04: I'm getting soft digging in the sand! 8) :beatdown:

We are unofficially testing all detectors to see if they can withstand freezing cold (I believe it was ZERO degrees on one hunt last winter), Blazing hot (around 95+ a couple of times) and drenching wet weather (many times). Oh and I forgot, most brands are not afraid of lightning rofl Yep, we are missing a few, that's for sure :cheesysmile: :twirlingeyes:

SeabeeRon
07-11-2010, 02:57 PM
rofl rofl rofl

HEAVYMETALNUT
07-11-2010, 04:38 PM
We are unofficially testing all detectors to see if they can withstand freezing cold (I believe it was ZERO degrees on one hunt last winter), Blazing hot (around 95+ a couple of times) and drenching wet weather (many times). Oh and I forgot, most brands are not afraid of lightning rofl Yep, we are missing a few, that's for sure :cheesysmile: :twirlingeyes:

rofl rofl rofl
how true! 4 season sickness i think it's called :confused: :crazy: :crazy:

sjv
07-12-2010, 06:36 AM
Nice going guys! Mostly relics? Coinnut, whats that thing at the top ? Nice buckle del ,Fully intact? I'm sure the bugs were bad and those horse flies can sting something fierce, especially on the hand. I'm sure the heat wave will die down. We need a break from the heat. Hows the dirt in the woods? Still moist? I've gotten word of at least 5 people I know or others know that got bit by ticks. I'm sure they are numerous in the morning. Then again, the Tick Master isn't out there with you two. Coinnut, del knows what that means.

coinnut
07-12-2010, 10:21 AM
Nice going guys! Mostly relics? Coinnut, whats that thing at the top ? Nice buckle del ,Fully intact? I'm sure the bugs were bad and those horse flies can sting something fierce, especially on the hand. I'm sure the heat wave will die down. We need a break from the heat. Hows the dirt in the woods? Still moist? I've gotten word of at least 5 people I know or others know that got bit by ticks. I'm sure they are numerous in the morning. Then again, the Tick Master isn't out there with you two. Coinnut, del knows what that means.

Hey Sal, I think that thing is a suspender buckle or most of it anyways. lol As far as ticks go, I think I've see just 2, all year round!! :shocked04: It has been a tickless season so far and we have been going in all the brush and grassy areas, and have seen almost none. The heat is the biggest problem and the fact that the drinks don't stay cold lol Hopefully, it will get better.

HEAVYMETALNUT
07-12-2010, 01:10 PM
Hey Sal, I think that thing is a suspender buckle or most of it anyways. lol As far as ticks go, I think I've see just 2, all year round!! :shocked04: It has been a tickless season so far and we have been going in all the brush and grassy areas, and have seen almost none. The heat is the biggest problem and the fact that the drinks don't stay cold lol Hopefully, it will get better.

same here..haven't seen a tick in months.G i freeze a few bottles of water stays cold most of the day

del
07-12-2010, 01:24 PM
G i freeze a few bottles of water stays cold most of the day

Dave thats a clevor idea but now the question arises do you put boiling water in the bottles for the winter hunts because sometimes i wish i did as my water bottle freezes up solid on some days . lol lol

no good finds this past weekend my friend , if so i can really relate to that lately . the ground is really turning to a dry powdery mix and i seems to make the targets hard to locate.

HEAVYMETALNUT
07-12-2010, 06:22 PM
Dave thats a clevor idea but now the question arises do you put boiling water in the bottles for the winter hunts because sometimes i wish i did as my water bottle freezes up solid on some days . lol lol

no good finds this past weekend my friend , if so i can really relate to that lately . the ground is really turning to a dry powdery mix and i seems to make the targets hard to locate.

i don't get thirsty in the winter :teasing: eat snow dude!
yeah it's been an awful last 4 hunts.barely any good targets at all.the humidity was making my machine false and just wish i stayed home to tell ya the truth :blackeye:

coinnut
07-12-2010, 06:33 PM
the humidity was making my machine false and just wish i stayed home to tell ya the truth :blackeye:

You dare say you would stay home instead of detecting? :confused: Surely son, you are losing your mind lol

SeabeeRon
07-12-2010, 07:13 PM
i don't get thirsty in the winter :teasing: eat snow dude!

...but not the yellow stuff!! :bop: :poke: :boxing:

tanacat
07-12-2010, 07:47 PM
...but not the yellow stuff!! :bop: :poke: :boxing:

I thought Sheik yer booty woulda surely chimed in on that one lol (Frank zappa tune)

Wow once again I love how you nuts share pics of your cellar holes. Great IH and Buckle Dan!!!! WoW :shocked04:stretcher: It's so amazing how many relics you find out there in BFE and I respect you guys immensely for going out in this weather. And I like your suspender clip, thimble and buttons G!

Oh btw I won't be joining ya'll for a cellar hunt after all, we've decided to stick around here for summer vacay... crying01 But then with the humidity, mosquitos and deer flies I might be better off right? lol

coinnut
07-12-2010, 07:55 PM
Oh btw I won't be joining ya'll for a cellar hunt after all, we've decided to stick around here for summer vacay... crying01 But then with the humidity, mosquitos and deer flies I might be better off right? lol

Never hunt with us in the summer time :yes: you may not make it from critter bites lol Deer flies are the main adversary, but mosquitoes and ticks are usually right behind them. :ticked: Plus high humidity and 95 degree days are no fun either. Spring is the best time and fall/early (mild) winter is great too. Sorry to hear you won't be coming out. Would have been great to meet you. Don't worry, Angie chickened out too rofl......Hi Angie :cheesysmile: Now for my beatings ;)... :bop:

HEAVYMETALNUT
07-12-2010, 09:48 PM
You dare say you would stay home instead of detecting? :confused: Surely son, you are losing your mind lol

:crazy: umm maybe i am but 32 hours of hiking,hunting,5 varieties( maybe a slight over exageration) of biting flying blood sucking parasites and all i have to show for it is 1-ox knob,one button,one harmonica top (hohner 1871) and a few of the finest square nails i ever pulled if i must say so myself :happydance01: kinda damages the ego just a tad :blackeye: :crying02: :dontknow:

del
07-13-2010, 02:40 AM

well thanks for getting us all excited to detect with you only to shatter our fragile little ego's :crying02: crying01 JK lol lol
yeah if your not finding much it isn't fun at all in the humid heat with the critters :mad: but i do recommend the
springtime and fall Tana .

:crazy: umm maybe i am but 32 hours of hiking,hunting,5 varieties( maybe a slight over exageration) of biting flying blood sucking parasites and all i have to show for it is 1-ox knob,one button,one harmonica top (hohner 1871) and a few of the finest square nails i ever pulled if i must say so myself :happydance01: kinda damages the ego just a tad :blackeye: :crying02: :dontknow:

it will definately make ya start to question whether your machine is working right lol lol been there done that ,
got the t-shirt lol lol hang in there Dave , fall hunting is just around the corner and your second wind and comfortable hunts come back.

HEAVYMETALNUT
07-13-2010, 07:05 AM
well thanks for getting us all excited to detect with you only to shatter our fragile little ego's :crying02: crying01 JK lol lol
yeah if your not finding much it isn't fun at all in the humid heat with the critters :mad: but i do recommend the
springtime and fall Tana .

it will definately make ya start to question whether your machine is working right lol lol been there done that ,
got the t-shirt lol lol hang in there Dave , fall hunting is just around the corner and your second wind and comfortable hunts come back.

nah it's not my machine,the other guys hardly found squat too.i think the main reason is the powdery dry ground and the humid air.i'm ready to go saturday! not giving up that easy <:

Epi-hunter
07-13-2010, 07:50 PM
Don't worry, Angie chickened out too rofl......Hi Angie :cheesysmile: Now for my beatings ;)... :bop:

:behave: :bop: :behave: :boxing: lol rofl

Don't worry George, you and Dan aren't getting off that easily lol I'll be baaaaaack..... :grin: I want to dig an ox knob and some colonial coins :grin:

coinnut
07-13-2010, 09:52 PM
Angie, We can definitely help you in the ox knob catagory. :yes: As far as the coppers are concerned? We fight for those :boxing: :boxing: lol

Snowy
07-13-2010, 10:21 PM
OMG! I'd kill for cellar holes with no undergrowth like that around here. There are some, but few and far between. And in the unusually humid weather around here, we gotta cool off in the water.

Can't wait to get back to some places I wanna hit this fall, though. I've got 2 vacas just for that.