PDA

View Full Version : An 1840 permission with some firsts

MangoAve
06-27-2015, 07:26 PM
I tried to follow up on the one I was told to come back during 'Spring' to give the owner some time to decide. My luck tho that every time I drive by coming home from work there happens to be someone home, yet the times I try to go ask there happens to be no one home. ugh. I headed to the store to grab stuff while I was out because the other permission was in the opposite direction from my house.

When I showed up it was fairly perfect timing. He had just finished mowing his lawn and was letting his son drive the tractor back into the barn. When I started out I didn't hear anything. There wasn't much iron or trash. It took a little time for finding a good repeatable signal. The first one was some piece of completely smooth oval slag. The second thing I dug was out front near the smaller tree. My second buff. Unfortunately it looks like there is no date. I did see the first "19" but trying to scrape a little with my thumbnail it looks like the flaking took it off. Oh well. The back looks good tho. Somewhere out front I got a nice signal. I was certain it was silver....well.... it was solid brass. My first ox knob. It is deteriorated a bit so it is fairly old. It was an olive shape and my first thought was ox knob but I wasn't certain until I searched for it. Again somewhere out front toward the side I got another great signal. Turned out to be a copper pipe fitting, but a third great signal was a second ox knob. This one had the hex shape to it. I thought it was a pipe fitting, but it was in the search results for an ox knob so that time I knew I had #2.

Somewhere near the driveway I was getting a nice silver signal. A '46 Rosie. Yay some silver. I did pull up some clad in the yard but up near the marker stone (which was actually concrete) I got a penny... ugh..'59. Not even a wheat. There was a really large tree along the property line. Somewhere near there I got some strange item. It looked to have an offset design and reminded me of the back of a coin. After cleaning it tho, it looks like most of the design is gone. Looking near the cavity formation it looks like three letters engraved. Maybe it could be one of those wax seal stamps. After coming around the house I pulled up a nice button. Kind of a flat button but it's closer in size to a tombac. The wreath design on the back is in real great shape. Too bad when i decided to leave, the husband and wife had left the grandmother home. I told the wife I would show her what I found. As well I wanted to ask when crops would be ready to harvest. The main reason to support their 'business' in return for letting me detect there, but as well to know when the fields might be ready for me. Next time I return i can bring the items. Now for the pics. None are cropped or have contrast fixed because of which computer I am using. Maybe tomorrow after the rain I will hit another permission site.

OxShoeDrew
06-27-2015, 08:10 PM
2 oxknobs?! :shocked04: Any date on that buff? I saw somebody soak buffs in vinegar and peroxide to get the date off it. It looked like it worked but who knows. Good looking silver, congrats!:canada:

del
06-27-2015, 08:56 PM
my Mama told me there would be "double ox knob days" . I didn't believe her but you proved her right Jim :lol: those and hunter's tree tack marks are the worst to find at cellar sites :hairpulling::hairpulling:. definitely congrats on the buffalo and silver though :thumbsup02:

Lodge Scent
06-27-2015, 08:58 PM
Nice job! I'd be happy with a couple of ox knobs in one hunt :congrats:

wisconsin digger
06-28-2015, 11:10 AM
Nice finds. Buffalo's are hit and miss I find a few with nice dates and then I hit a streak of smoothies. Found one last night and it too was a smoothie. great hunting WD

MangoAve
06-29-2015, 07:35 AM
Nice job! I'd be happy with a couple of ox knobs in one hunt

2 oxknobs?! Any date on that buff? I saw somebody soak buffs in vinegar and peroxide to get the date off it.

my Mama told me there would be "double ox knob days" . I didn't believe her but you proved her right Jim :lol:

I guess I set the standards here. :hystericallaugh:I have had no shortage of strangeness found or oddity situations. The grandma mentioned to her grandchildren as I was leaving something about the uncle having a detector. It brought a thought maybe he has hit there before...even if he did he missed those ox knobs. You know they sound really good. There's still some farm field and more area to cover and more hunts there intended so maybe I can up that count. We will have OxShoeDrew and OxKnobJim. :lol:. Thanks tho. Good to get a Rosie which is a little bit of a rarity. Drew, I even tried looking under the scope. There seems to be some remnants of the date as a slight depression from the removed material. The last digit could be an 8 or a 9 but no certainties. It could be another 1918, or a 1919 or 1928 or 1929 or 1938.

Nice finds. Buffalo's are hit and miss I find a few with nice dates and then I hit a streak of smoothies. Found one last night and it too was a smoothie. great hunting WD

Thanks. I don't think it was a smoothie because I could see part of the date as I pulled it up. I think it was just oxidized so bad that it is now a smoothie from scraping it with my fingernail. Surprising to pull up two in one week, yet none from last season or the beginning of this one.

Digger Don
06-29-2015, 08:03 AM
Nice hunt. I honestly don't know anything about ox knobs. They seem to be a good find so Congrats.
Great job on the Buff and rosie. :congrats:

MIKE54
06-29-2015, 08:32 PM
Congrats on a nice hunt, Jim!

MangoAve
06-30-2015, 06:45 AM
Mike, U got Fri off per UTC, right? I do so three day weekend to hunt.

MIKE54
07-01-2015, 02:59 PM
I sent you a text.