PDA

View Full Version : Draped bust wit da boys

del
06-27-2015, 09:27 PM
I got out with OxShoDrew and Trooper Bri for a very long overdue hunt . I've been out of the scene for some time and it was really a treat to just get out and share their company today :yes: My first really good sounding target was a big copper (sorry for no "green coin freshly out of the dirt" pics:embarrassed:) . my only relics were a suspender buckle , two musket ball (one has chew marks) , harmonica reed . I did get three other coins (Indians 1864 , 1884 , 1888) all are in rough shape though.as you can see the 1805 Draped bust is coming along pretty good in its cleaning and has nice detail.

I want to thank Drew and especially Brian for going out with me , it meant a lot my friends :notworthy: Thanks

Dan

Ill Digger
06-27-2015, 11:35 PM
Good lord!! The cleaning of the drapped bust looks great!!:cheering:
Ots good to hear about the group of members out east Getting out together is awesome!
I know when a couple of us Illinois boyz can get out together its fun no matter the finds!
Great find Dan!
Congrats!!!! :grin:

OxShoeDrew
06-28-2015, 06:40 AM
:cheesysmile: That came out gorgeous! :clapping:So those discs turned out to be IHs? I was hoping for a CW token.
I wish I could have kept going but I've come to the realization that 6hrs is my limit. I can't run with the big dawgs anymore :lol: We'll have to do it again next week. Thanks guys! :canada:

Isaac
06-28-2015, 07:17 AM
Awesome coin!!!

Lodge Scent
06-28-2015, 08:40 AM
Good to see you get out Dan....and score a nice copper :congrats:. Seeing that you hadn't been out in a while, you must have been at least a little bit sore after an all day hunt . I'm with Drew. These days, a six hour hunt is a good hunt. If it goes much longer than that I start to get cranky ;).

fsa46
06-28-2015, 09:28 AM
Glad to see you got out and had some fun with the guys , Dan. Didn't lose your touch either.

RIdirtdigger
06-28-2015, 12:38 PM
Nice to see you out in the woods again Dan. Awesome draped bust it preserved well over the years. Looks like you all had a blast. Nice outing!

del
06-28-2015, 12:53 PM
Good lord!! The cleaning of the drapped bust looks great!!:cheering:
Ots good to hear about the group of members out east Getting out together is awesome!
I know when a couple of us Illinois boyz can get out together its fun no matter the finds!
Great find Dan!
Congrats!!!! :grin:

Thanks Tim , I agree . Its definitely fun detecting with a few friends.

:cheesysmile: That came out gorgeous! :clapping:So those discs turned out to be IHs? I was hoping for a CW token.
I wish I could have kept going but I've come to the realization that 6hrs is my limit. I can't run with the big dawgs anymore :lol: We'll have to do it again next week. Thanks guys! :canada:

Drew two of those indians rang out very low , the chewed up one for obvious reasons but the other was very low too:dontknow: , i picked up the last indian at that site you suggested .

Awesome coin!!!

Thank you Isaac , only my second 1805 , their not as common as the 1802's or 03's .

Good to see you get out Dan....and score a nice copper :congrats:. Seeing that you hadn't been out in a while, you must have been at least a little bit sore after an all day hunt . I'm with Drew. These days, a six hour hunt is a good hunt. If it goes much longer than that I start to get cranky ;).

Jeff , i'm definitely out of shape :lol: I was good being out longer but the elbow is very tender , that dfx with the 10x12 has some weight to it. thanks

Glad to see you got out and had some fun with the guys , Dan. Didn't lose your touch either.

very kind of you to say Frank , thanks.

Bell-Two
06-28-2015, 01:18 PM
Lovely Large Cent, did you check for variety on it? The S-268 variety is quite scarce.

del
06-28-2015, 01:33 PM
Nice to see you out in the woods again Dan. Awesome draped bust it preserved well over the years. Looks like you all had a blast. Nice outing!

Thanks James , yeah it had to be dropped pretty new .

Lovely Large Cent, did you check for variety on it? The S-268 variety is quite scarce.

Tony Thanks , one thing I don't really have is a book on large cent varieties :duh:. so unless Jyes or don in ny come on to help out with a variety , it will have to wait until i get a good book.

Trooper Bri
06-28-2015, 05:52 PM
Wow, the obverse side is cleaning up great Dan. She's a beauty!! Congrats!

It was great getting out with you and Drew yesterday. Couldn't ask for much better, cool temps and that big site to swing through!
Thank you for the hunt, and scaring us with wolf stories. It kept my head swiveling like an owl's for the rest of the day. ;) And I always learn a little something about New England history on these hunts too, so thanks again. Looking forward to more detecting with you guys soon.

Digger Don
06-28-2015, 07:13 PM
That Large cent cleaned up great. Awesome find.
It's always better when you hunt with friends.
I'm glad you guys had a good day !!!

del
06-28-2015, 07:23 PM
Wow, the obverse side is cleaning up great Dan. She's a beauty!! Congrats!

Thanks Brian , the front is a bit more rough then the reverse but I'm very happy with "her" condition . I have to say most of the coins from this site have been in pretty good shape another reason i like returning to that spot.

Thank you for the hunt, and scaring us with wolf stories. It kept my head swiveling like an owl's for the rest of the day. ;)

Thank you sir ! between your friendship and finding that sweet ol'copper gal I have a renewed interest in the hobby again . we're going to tear it up this year , I can feel it .

:lol: oh and Brian , no more wild animal stories I promise :rofl:

here are them hi res photos by the way

Trooper Bri
06-28-2015, 07:38 PM
Keep the stories coming. After seeing what looked like fairly fresh bear poo I forgot about the wolf. ;)

Bucknut
06-28-2015, 07:54 PM
Wow that Draped Bust has to s of detail! Congrats!!!

Pacivilwarluke
06-28-2015, 09:00 PM
That's a very nice looking draped bust! Glad you guys did well!!

MangoAve
06-29-2015, 07:25 AM
Did you invest in the cleaning products from the Roman Coin site? That draped bust looks like it cleaned well. I skimmed this before and I didn't realize the top item was a chewed up IH...now I know why it would read lower. I am quite certain that All these machines have software that reads the shape and size of items which is why sometimes we get fooled by iron washers. With their shape they look just like a coin. Maybe with a little lower reading. You should see the chewed up zincoln I found from the park where I got the Buff and V... looks way worse and obvi gave a way different reading. Good you got out on a regular hunt besides the Pequot hunts. Let me know when you will entertain the group hunt I mentioned 3+ weeks ago.

CTTodd
06-29-2015, 04:11 PM
Super Bust and excellent cleaning job.

del
06-29-2015, 07:56 PM
Wow that Draped Bust has to s of detail! Congrats!!!

Thank you BN :beerbuddy:

That's a very nice looking draped bust! Glad you guys did well!!

I appreciate that Luke , thanks

Did you invest in the cleaning products from the Roman Coin site? That draped bust looks like it cleaned well. I skimmed this before and I didn't realize the top item was a chewed up IH...now I know why it would read lower. I am quite certain that All these machines have software that reads the shape and size of items which is why sometimes we get fooled by iron washers. With their shape they look just like a coin. Maybe with a little lower reading. You should see the chewed up zincoln I found from the park where I got the Buff and V... looks way worse and obvi gave a way different reading. Good you got out on a regular hunt besides the Pequot hunts. Let me know when you will entertain the group hunt I mentioned 3+ weeks ago.

Jim the coin looked like a good candidate for the water soak and heat lamp trick but surprising there was no crusty peeling taking place , so I just gave it a hot peroxide bath and worked on it with a q-tip. i didn't go to long as i wanted to keep some of the nice patina it had.

I f you seriously want to treat us to a group hunt soon , i'll give you a shout for what weekend I'm free. Thanks Jim.

Super Bust and excellent cleaning job.

thanks Todd , Ill send you some of the cleaning tips I have compiled very soon .

Dan

Restoring Your Finds
06-30-2015, 05:42 AM
That's a very fine coin ! MangoAve, what site and cleaning products are you referring to? Interested !

MangoAve
06-30-2015, 07:13 AM
Jim the coin looked like a good candidate for the water soak and heat lamp trick but surprising there was no crusty peeling taking place , so I just gave it a hot peroxide bath and worked on it with a q-tip. i didn't go to long as i wanted to keep some of the nice patina it had.
If you seriously want to treat us to a group hunt soon , i'll give you a shout for what weekend I'm free. Thanks Jim
Dan

Hmm.. I guess I can see it looks like peroxide from the spot above the bust and around the words "ONE CENT" but seeing as none of my coppers looked that good after a peroxide bath I was thinking it was a different cleaning method.

I knew you said it as a joke before on here, but since I confirmed here and also sent a PM on social media I figured you knew it was for real. Sure I put a lot of jokes out there might make it hard to tell which is serious but you can crack the telfon code or algorithm to tell when I'm being serious in a joking manner. I can assure you it is still easier to figure out than to understand a woman. :lol: Sure you notice I get out alone more often than with a buddy, but that was due to how hard it was to set plans for a week away. I kinda needed a day advance for taking a work day off, but weekends It was hard to tell 4-5 days in advance how I would be feeling. With using discretion, I compiled what I read on the matter and realized what it will take to rectify things. I will add that I did see first hand on the joke our system is here in the country and how it's all about the $.

MangoAve, what site and cleaning products are you referring to? Interested !

...the Noble Roman Coins had some products. Cleaners and ways to reintroduce patinas.

Tony Two-Cent
06-30-2015, 07:30 AM
That is a beautiful Draped Bust Large Cent, Dan! :loveit: You can see every strand of hair on Lady Liberty. It must have been dropped not long after 1805. Boggles the mind, especially to us here in the midwest who rarely find coins that are 200+ years old.

I'm glad that you were able to hunt with Drew and Brian, and that you found some nice keepers as well. :thumbsup02:

HEAVYMETALNUT
07-01-2015, 08:02 AM
glad to see you get out with some good guys! congrats on the draped bust!

BTV Digger
07-04-2015, 11:24 AM
Congrats on getting out again Dan, and agree, hunting is always better w/friends than alone. LC is looking great by the way. 3 indians...heck, I'm excited when I get 1!

John