PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday After Work Hunt / SLQ & Merc

Digger Don
06-30-2015, 09:18 PM
I decided to go out tonight after work and try to get a hunt in. Glad I did, the first house I asked said yes. The house was built in the 1870s. The owner told me that the yard between the sidewalk and the house had about 8 inches of fill brought in a couple of years ago, but the Parkway was not touched. It was a corner lot and it took about an hour and 15 minutes to hit the parkways pretty thoroughly. 15 minutes in, i dug a 1927 SLQ. ( kinda nice to get one with a date ). Then about 40 minutes later I dug a 1936 merc. I also got two wheats.

As I was getting ready to leave, I went up to the door and thanked the guy for the permission and to show him the finds.
He couldn't believe those coins have been sitting in his yard all those years. He had two little boys with him and they thought metal detecting was really cool. I pulled about $2.75 in clad out of my pocket and gave it to the kids. They were almost as happy as me.

Bucknut
06-30-2015, 09:28 PM
Great SLQ! Nice hunt.

Full Metal Digger
07-01-2015, 05:32 AM
Nice finds Don. That SLQ has a real nice color to it. I love it when the old silvers get that gray color. HH, Dave.

OxShoeDrew
07-01-2015, 07:00 AM
I continue to be hopeful that one day I'll see a SLQ in the dirt :daydream: Yours is excellent! Congrats Don!

MangoAve
07-01-2015, 07:06 AM
Nice gesture with the clad. I think at some of the farm houses like the recent 1840 I will return specifically to support their business buying some of the stuff they put in the stands. Frankly I think farmers/farms should get better gov benefits and tax breaks than the big business, maybe then they can invest in ways to stop using pesticides which get into the crops... but that is another debate. Nice SLQ tho. Did those micro scratches come from cleaning? The fact that they aren't in the first pic tells me that you didn't get excited and rub them as they came out of the dirt. Still, it's with a date and good shape and now it's yours so there's no complaints. I think the site where I got a Balboa and the CW three ringer.. the guy was shocked about how long the bullet was there in his yard. In the same fashion as how you said it. Maybe tho, he didn't realize from how far away the Balboa came.

Digger Don
07-01-2015, 07:29 AM
Nice gesture with the clad. I think at some of the farm houses like the recent 1840 I will return specifically to support their business buying some of the stuff they put in the stands. Frankly I think farmers/farms should get better gov benefits and tax breaks than the big business, maybe then they can invest in ways to stop using pesticides which get into the crops... but that is another debate. Nice SLQ tho. Did those micro scratches come from cleaning? The fact that they aren't in the first pic tells me that you didn't get excited and rub them as they came out of the dirt. Still, it's with a date and good shape and now it's yours so there's no complaints. I think the site where I got a Balboa and the CW three ringer.. the guy was shocked about how long the bullet was there in his yard. In the same fashion as how you said it. Maybe tho, he didn't realize from how far away the Balboa came.

Thanks for the comment. I rubbed just enough to see the date before the first picture. I'm not sure about the lines. I just clean them with a soft toothbrush under running water.
It might just be from the different lighting.

MIKE54
07-01-2015, 03:57 PM
You dug my 2 favorite coins! Nice hunt.

wisconsin digger
07-02-2015, 06:54 AM
Great hunt guys. Yea it certainly is hit or miss on the SLQ's. One thing I have noticed is several I looked at months or years later seem to show more sign of a date than they dig when I dug them. Take a look at some of your older SLQ's and see if you can pick up a number or two. Great finds. WD