PDA

View Full Version : Odd Iron (?) Device

ArgentAgent
07-01-2015, 12:55 AM
Found this while detecting the backyard of a farmhouse built in the early 1900s. I have no clue what it is, though the post under the screw that is attached to base seems to be spring-like. The underside of the base is hollow (and came with the bonus of having a small colony of ants lodged inside of it).

del
07-01-2015, 02:32 AM
:confused::confused: that might be a stumper :dontknow:

Full Metal Digger
07-01-2015, 05:28 AM
How big is it? Does it have any writing on it?

ArgentAgent
07-01-2015, 09:30 AM
How big is it? Does it have any writing on it?
It is 5 1/4 inches tall with a base diameter of 2 inches. I haven't been able to find any writing on it. I might try washing some of the dirt off to see if there is anything to identify it by.

del
07-01-2015, 03:52 PM
could it be an old caster wheel (wheel missing of course) for desk or furniture leg ?

ArgentAgent
07-12-2015, 10:06 AM
could it be an old caster wheel (wheel missing of course) for desk or furniture leg ?
It's a possibility. I asked quite a few people within the family familiar with farming knowledge (since it was found on a farm and they seem pretty familiar with hardware they work with), though no one seems to know exactly what it is. There were a couple of interesting hunches though such as the object being a thermostat or part of some sort of sprinkler system. Whatever the case, the object doesn't seem too old considering the spring/plug in the middle still moves and the screw on top is loose. I still need to wash it to see if there are any markings inside that can help me identify whatever it is.