PDA

View Full Version : July 4th 2014 FMDF boots 7 members. A day which will live in infamy.

Kemper
07-03-2015, 06:39 PM
Well.maybe not infamy but it will be remembered. Do you remember where you were when it happened ? The 7 members that got sent on vacation were - Kemper,Tom_in_CA,itsaring,HarveyH48,SafeMode,stewa rt73 and Jay_781. Naturally I don't think I deserved it and here is the thread I was on when it happened- http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=193566&highlight=Kemper

Here is the thread the other members were on- http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=193500

Just passing on information here as the 4th approaches on metal detecting forums. The administrators must have been tired of moderating threads to boot 7 people at one time. I wonder if a mass banning ever took place at another time. Looking back at the threads they seem mild in comparison to some of the threads I've seen there lately.

No hard feelings but I don't think it is a good idea to boot people in numbers. It's been fun and have a Happy 4th of July.

del
07-03-2015, 08:29 PM
you sound homesick .... you don't need to air out your "dirty laundry" here ?? This isn't friendly forum Kemper ??

Kemper
07-03-2015, 09:23 PM
you sound homesick .... you don't need to air out your "dirty laundry" here ?? This isn't friendly forum Kemper ??

I don't know if I would call it " dirty laundry " but some might look at it like that--

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=38&v=SzT10MSgKtU

Full Metal Digger
07-03-2015, 09:36 PM
I don't get it. Why bring up what happened another forum?

Jeff (or)
07-03-2015, 10:42 PM
Who cares?

Kemper
07-04-2015, 09:46 AM
Who cares?
I won't name names or provide numerous links that would answer your questions as I feel that is not encouraged here. Will say that there is a lot of interest in the issues in our hobby that go beyond the " show and tell " issues. Nothing wrong with the " show and tell " issues though. It is interesting to see how participation in forums goes down when the hotter issues that are effecting our hobby are being pushed to the side.
It will not be easy to see "who cares " as you put it unless discussion on all issues are encouraged ,regardless of where they are brought up on public sites. Your question could more easily be answered by discussing those issues rather than avoiding them.

del
07-04-2015, 12:04 PM
It is interesting to see how participation in forums goes down when the hotter issues that are effecting our hobby are being pushed to the side.

you will find our member very engaged when it comes to "hotter Issues" this is more like sour grapes .

Who cares?

I tend to agree Jeff , move on Kemper

It will not be easy to see "who cares " as you put it unless discussion on all issues are encouraged ,regardless of where they are brought up on public sites. Your question could more easily be answered by discussing those issues rather than avoiding them.

This issue has very little to do with the hobby and is more of a personal gripe that has to deal with you and Friendly. Your being banned at Friendly an other forums does not need to be discussed or rehashed here. You don't sound very optimistic.

Kemper
07-04-2015, 01:16 PM
you will find our member very engaged when it comes to "hotter Issues" this is more like sour grapes .

I tend to agree Jeff , move on Kemper

This issue has very little to do with the hobby and is more of a personal gripe that has to deal with you and Friendly. Your being banned at Friendly an other forums does not need to be discussed or rehashed here. You don't sound very optimistic.

I have no problem discussing the issues in the threads that I presented. Just because they were brought from another forum, I don't see a need to avoid them just because of that. The problem of discussing the hot issues on metal detecting forums is a big issue as we can see here. That is an issue that has very much to do with the hobby. It seems that no one really wants to moderate the hotter issues and they don't have to. What I presented shows that.The hobby suffers because of this.

OxShoeDrew
07-04-2015, 01:33 PM
There are two "issues" that I can glean here, and I'm not certain which you are trying to discuss.

1-Your being banned. It happened a long time ago and it's your private business.

2-The issue that was raised on the post you were banned on. If you dig something and can find the person who dropped it, you give it back.

Kemper
07-04-2015, 02:21 PM
The are two "issues" that I can glean here, and I'm not certain which you are trying to discuss.

1-Your being banned. It happened a long time ago and it's your private business.

2-The issue that was raised on the post you were banned on. If you dig something and can find the person who dropped it, you give it back.

An issue is that 7 people were banned from a metal detecting forum at the same time. Another issue is that no one seems to want to moderate the hot topic issues and they are often pushed to the side because no one wants to moderate them. There are a lot of things that negatively effect the hobby and I feel they can be discussed on a metal detecting forum if there is a desire to discuss those issues. For that to happen it might take a forum that would encourage discussion on those issues. That would make people more comfortable bringing those issues up and discussing them.

The fact that 7 people received a 7 day ban is public issue and is shown on threads on public forums. The issue on the thread that involved me was one of a member bringing a scenario to the forum wanting to "argue" his scenario. I did that and any other member had the opportunity to join the discussion. I was told that by being involved in the discussion that I was making it my issue. I hope you can see that it was more of an issue than returning an item.

These type of discussion stopping tactics because no one wants to moderate threads does not encourage people to want to participate. The 2 issues that you noted may be valid but in no way cover all the issues that can be seen in this thread. i hope you can glean more issues here than what you noted.

OxShoeDrew
07-04-2015, 03:09 PM
Again, I feel there are two issues here.
1-Your being banned (along with six others)
2-Returning found items to people who lost them (there is nothing to "argue" here)

Kemper
07-04-2015, 03:23 PM
Again, I feel there are two issues here.
1-Your being banned (along with six others)
2-Returning found items to people who lost them (there is nothing to "argue" here)

The thread I referenced was from a law student that came to the forum and was wanting someone to argue his scenario and it was metal detecting related. It was about arguing his scenario and it wasn't a simple issue of returning an item as that thread will show. The thread also shows how discussion was being stopped and there was no desire to moderate the thread although it was within forum rules. There is also the case of the thread the other 6 people were on and the issues there. I don't disagree that the 2 things you noted were issues but that only touches lightly on the thread.

Do you feel that a ban of 7 people at the same time is good or bad for the image of detecting forums ?
Do you feel that the issues that are often "hot topic" issues should be discussed more and people should be more comfortable discussing them ?
I'm looking at some of these issues and how they have been handled by forums and members over the last year. I see less discussion of these issues and less forum participation overall.

OxShoeDrew
07-04-2015, 03:37 PM
1st Issue- I have no idea if banning the "Friendly 7" was justified...and I reiterate, happened a long, long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away.
2nd Issue- The topic of returning found items to owners is not "hot."

Kemper
07-04-2015, 03:56 PM
1st Issue- I have no idea if banning the "Friendly 7" was justified...and I reiterate, happened a long, long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away.
2nd Issue- The topic of returning found items to owners is not "hot."

Coins that were dropped a long ,long time ago are also an issue but one that is encouraged to be discussed. The topic of returning lost items to owners often gets to be a "hot" topic especially when people feel like they can discuss it. I can show a link to a thread where it gets very hot. I feel that you think the issues of forum restrictions are not something you wish to discuss and I understand that you don't have to.
If I'm wrong please look at the threads I referenced and give an opinion on how you think the moderators and the members conducted themselves. Don't worry about how long ago and how far away the initial threads were. They were brought here yesterday and are close now and open for discussion if anyone wishes or feels comfortable doing so.

Cheap Thrills
07-04-2015, 04:29 PM
WOW !! Seven people got kicked off a metal detecting forum at once . Man that's tragic !! I'm surprised there hasn't been any media coverage .

SeabeeRon
07-04-2015, 05:01 PM
Going for another Ban are ya Gary??!?

Jeff (or)
07-04-2015, 05:32 PM
WOW !! Seven people got kicked off a metal detecting forum at once . Man that's tragic !! I'm surprised there hasn't been any media coverage .

There was an extensive article on the back page of the "FlatFish Falls Tribune". If I can find my copy, I will send it to you. And yes, it...it...was tragic.

del
07-04-2015, 06:10 PM
Do you feel that a ban of 7 people at the same time is good or bad for the image of detecting forums ?

Where is it written down that banning 7 people at a time from a forum is a bad thing ?? that judgement is for them to decide , no I'm not going to waste my time reading what happen on said forum . life is too short and my concern is what takes place at this one . So no is the answer to your first question.

Do you feel that the issues that are often "hot topic" issues should be discussed more and people should be more comfortable discussing them ?
I'm looking at some of these issues and how they have been handled by forums and members over the last year. I see less discussion of these issues and less forum participation overall.

Jeez , i feel like your conducting a survey...
Like we have said before we are very open about discussing topics that are hobby related , your being banned on the other forums is more of a personal matter between you and them Kemper .

what is the big issue about being here with all this anyways ...

you have other media platforms at your disposal to complain or rant and get your feelings out about your treatment on these other forums why do it here ?

Kemper
07-04-2015, 06:40 PM
Where is it written down that banning 7 people at a time from a forum is a bad thing ?? that judgement is for them to decide , no I'm not going to waste my time reading what happen on said forum . life is too short and my concern is what takes place at this one . So no is the answer to your first question.

Jeez , i feel like your conducting a survey...
Like we have said before we are very open about discussing topics that are hobby related , your being banned on the other forums is more of a personal matter between you and them Kemper .

what is the big issue about being here with all this anyways ...

you have other media platforms at your disposal to complain or rant and get your feelings out about your treatment on these other forums why do it here ?

My question wasn't asked of you but rather asked of OxShoeDrew. My thread here was not just about being banned on that forum or other forums. To answer your question- this is a detecting forum and I would expect detecting people to see it here. My thread is informational although you seem to think it is about complaining ,ranting and getting my feelings out.
I'm not complaining or ranting as I realize that forums can do as they wish. My feelings are that I wish that forums would encourage discussion and want to moderate the often termed " hot-button " , " dramatic ", "stirring the pot " etc. issues that are more important than showing of finds and talk about machines. That is why I am doing it here. What happens on public forums is hobby related. I encourage people to try to discuss issues rather than look for a reason not to.

Kemper
07-04-2015, 06:57 PM
There was an extensive article on the back page of the "FlatFish Falls Tribune". If I can find my copy, I will send it to you. And yes, it...it...was tragic.

If you were to post a picture of a coin or a civil war relic and I would come on your thread and post a comment such as yours,how would you feel ? It does show immaturity and inconsideration and goes against what the administrator of this forum stated just a couple days ago. I have a feeling you are going to get to slide and that is not my call to make. It does show how some topics are not taken seriously enough and that is part (only part ) of the reason why we see so much damage being done to our hobby by the way people detect and why people don't feel comfortable discussing some issues.

Kemper
07-04-2015, 07:02 PM
Going for another Ban are ya Gary??!?

Do you feel I am doing something worthy of a ban ?

del
07-04-2015, 07:28 PM
To answer your question- this is a detecting forum and I would expect detecting people to see it here. My thread is informational although you seem to think it is about complaining ,ranting and getting my feelings out.

I'm sorry , your thread doesn't come off sounding that way Kemper

I'm not complaining or ranting as I realize that forums can do as they wish. My feelings are that I wish that forums would encourage discussion and want to moderate the often termed " hot-button " , " dramatic ", "stirring the pot " etc. issues that are more important than showing of finds and talk about machines. That is why I am doing it here. What happens on public forums is hobby related. I encourage people to try to discuss issues rather than look for a reason not to.

you need to do that by bringing in a third entity to this conversation ? you can't just bring up the issue on your own ? are we to expect every thing that is bothering you about the hobby will be embellished with links to outside forum source examples ? As I said I have no interest of what "inner going ons" or "he said she said debates", "the dress color was blue or white" conversation that happens on other forums , you have something about the hobby that you want to discuss bring it up and lets have a a respectful debate and discussion on it . they way you brought this one up seemed petty or cheap shot in my opinion.

Kemper
07-04-2015, 07:55 PM
I'm sorry , your thread doesn't come off sounding that way Kemper

you need to do that by bringing in a third entity to this conversation ? you can't just bring up the issue on your own ? are we to expect every thing that is bothering you about the hobby will be embellished with links to outside forum source examples ? As I said I have no interest of what "inner going ons" or "he said she said debates", "the dress color was blue or white" conversation that happens on other forums , you have something about the hobby that you want to discuss bring it up and lets have a a respectful debate and discussion on it . they way you brought this one up seemed petty or cheap shot in my opinion.

We can discuss how metal detecting forums can be beneficial to the hobby if they encourage people to discuss the "hot" topic issues. A look at how moderators try to stop that discussion and often fail to moderate those issues can also be beneficial. The threads I presented in my thread here is a good example so if we look at it in that sense it should be no problem. I don't think participation by people that were banned discussing issues should hurt anything. That should only add to the discussion.

If you look at the first thread I referenced and notice post #2 and# 25 by SeabeeRon (who commented on this thread also) you can see a problem I am talking about here. I think his comment on this thread shows his intentions so I feel beneficial information continues to come from this thread. There is no "he said-she said " debate but rather hobby related links for discussion. Going after the messenger is normal but I am optimistic as always.

nalc472
07-04-2015, 10:06 PM
I like this forum because it is a positive site. People really support each other with great info and advice which advances the hobby and encourages new people to join the metal detecting hobby. Showing others how to ask for permission to hunt, covering holes properly, returning items that you know who they belong to is very important to our hobby. Arguing is silly.

Full Metal Digger
07-04-2015, 10:12 PM
Would someone PLEASE kill this thread?

Kemper
07-04-2015, 10:24 PM
I like this forum because it is a positive site. People really support each other with great info and advice which advances the hobby and encourages new people to join the metal detecting hobby. Showing others how to ask for permission to hunt, covering holes properly, returning items that you know who they belong to is very important to our hobby. Arguing is silly.

Some good points. I would also add that it is important to not ask for permission when it is not necessary. Looking up laws for oneself is very important and may keep a person from getting a "no" from someone who may just be giving the safe answer.

What I see also are a lot of things that are hurting the hobby such as people hunting curb strips with a partner, detecting parks in groups or with a shovel, door knocking in groups seeing how many yards they can dig in a day. Many issues that can be discussed and could get heated at times especially with some that put "their right" to do something a certain way ahead of what is best for the hobby. And worth mentioning is that people that want to kill threads are probably more interested in what they can get from the hobby rather than what they can contribute.

GA1dad
07-04-2015, 10:44 PM
You clearly have issues with the FMDF,,,,, can't say that your position is right or wrong,,,,,

We have a genuine friendly, positive site here,,, it should be cherished and protected,,,, please don't let it get tainted,,,, even if you have the best of intentions.

SeabeeRon
07-04-2015, 10:58 PM
Do you feel I am doing something worthy of a ban ?

Not yet, but based on your past history it seems almost inevitable!

Kemper
07-04-2015, 11:53 PM

I think you are thinking of a different Kemper --48604

angellionel
07-05-2015, 11:19 AM
Well.maybe not infamy but it will be remembered. Do you remember where you were when it happened ? The 7 members that got sent on vacation were - Kemper,Tom_in_CA,itsaring,HarveyH48,SafeMode,stewa rt73 and Jay_781. Naturally I don't think I deserved it and here is the thread I was on when it happened- http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=193566&highlight=Kemper

Here is the thread the other members were on- http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=193500

Just passing on information here as the 4th approaches on metal detecting forums. The administrators must have been tired of moderating threads to boot 7 people at one time. I wonder if a mass banning ever took place at another time. Looking back at the threads they seem mild in comparison to some of the threads I've seen there lately.

No hard feelings but I don't think it is a good idea to boot people in numbers. It's been fun and have a Happy 4th of July.

Kemper, this type of post does not belong on this forum. Whatever issues/problems you had with FMDF is none of our business. The administrators there have a right to run and deal with issues on their forum as they see fit. It is their prerogative.

We have a great group of admins and moderators here. They have my trust and confidence that problems arising on the forum will be handled courteously and professionally and that members will be treated with respect. The staff here recognizes that we all lose our cool at one time or another and will say or do things that may be out of character. It has happened with some members here in the past, including myself. We recognize that and so we work with the valued member. To the credit of such members they have recognized their misstep when the matter was tactfully brought to their attention and they took corrective action. That's what individuals who are part of a 'family' do. However, the staff also will not tolerate continued disrupting behavior from anyone and will take the necessary corrective action, including banning from the forum. I completely back them on this as does Angie (Epi-hunter).

Please take the time to completely review the Forum Rules (http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/showthread.php?112-Forum-Rules-And-Acceptable-Use-Policy). If you have any questions on any of the stated rules, please feel free to send a private message to any of the staff members about it.

Angel

SeabeeRon
07-05-2015, 11:38 AM
Kemper, this type of post does not belong on this forum. Whatever issues/problems you had with FMDF is none of our business. The administrators there have a right to run and deal with issues on their forum as they see fit. It is their prerogative.

We have a great group of admins and moderators here. They have my trust and confidence that problems arising on the forum will be handled courteously and professionally and that members will be treated with respect. The staff here recognizes that we all lose our cool at one time or another and will say or do things that may be out of character. It has happened with some members here in the past, including myself. We recognize that and so we work with the valued member. To the credit of such members they have recognized their misstep when the matter was tactfully brought to their attention and they took corrective action. That's what individuals who are part of a 'family' do. However, the staff also will not tolerate continued disrupting behavior from anyone and will take the necessary corrective action, including banning from the forum. I completely back them on this as does Angie (Epi-hunter).

Please take the time to completely review the Forum Rules (http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/showthread.php?112-Forum-Rules-And-Acceptable-Use-Policy). If you have any questions on any of the stated rules, please feel free to send a private message to any of the staff members about it.

Angel

Great post Angel, thank you for running an awesome forum!

Kemper
07-05-2015, 03:28 PM

Angel

I will spend more time reviewing the rules and I realize that it is your call to make. I stated that my post was informational and that I had no hard feelings. I certainly didn't maliciously attack anyone or anything. The posts that I referenced are still up on the Friendly public forum. I will re-check my actions and if I have any questions I will do as you suggested.

I din't think my post violated this rule--5) Other Sites/Forums

There are two sides to every story, so to avoid maligning others please do not make posts maliciously attacking other forums, their owners, administrators, or moderators. Such posts will be removed.

aloldstuff
07-05-2015, 04:55 PM
Oh my....I just read this entire thread and realized that I now have 5 minutes of my life that I can't get back. Take the hint.....STOP IT.

treasure_hunter
07-06-2015, 10:28 AM
Kemper pulled the same bs on TN and was banned for it.....

Thank you American Detectorist for not allowing the bashing of other forums and mods here, we don't allow it on TN either....

Cheap Thrills
07-07-2015, 11:10 PM
One good thing , he will have more time to walk his cool little dog .

Full Metal Digger
07-08-2015, 10:19 AM
One good thing , he will have more time to walk his cool little dog .

Good one! That's pretty funny! :rofl:

I had serious doubts whether he even had a metal detector.

SeabeeRon
07-08-2015, 10:56 AM
Just an FYI to all the fine members here. I see Kemper is banned here now, but if he does what he did when he was banned over on FMDF (and other detecting sites)is that he "lurks & trolls" the forum looking for mention of himself and then posts about how he was mistreated on his FB page or other sites and blogs. Best to leave him in your dust! ;):grin:

Isaac
07-08-2015, 03:09 PM
No way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thank god :notworthy: for the admins!

Rudy
07-08-2015, 04:35 PM

A very prescient statement. The cycle is once more completed.

Epi-hunter
07-08-2015, 05:31 PM
A very prescient statement. The cycle is once more completed.

Hey Rudy, nice to see you here again! I've missed that paper bag over your head :lol:

Thanks for your help! I was getting a migraine...

DigItUp
07-08-2015, 06:02 PM
To be fair it seems the post here by Kemper is not against the rules or it would not still be up, nor has it been said to be against the rules. Talking about someone that is not allowed to defend himself does not look good for this site. And yes I like Kemper and don't think he would post about someone that could not answer that post.

Epi-hunter
07-08-2015, 06:10 PM
Iteration #2 of kemper is now gone. I'm going to close this thread up. Thanks!

del
07-08-2015, 06:32 PM
to be fair DigItUp , Kemper was given more than enough warnings and pleas ( on this post , others and through private pm's) to be respectful of other members and to the rules of this forum , he chose not to. Therefore his demise to be gone from this forum was of his own doing . this is only one of many forums he has been banned from because of behavior issues , are we believe we and all the other forums are all wrong to do so . The post is still up to allow those to view his actions and our responses to them but he just refuse to get the message. Sorry about your friend getting the boot but there are always at least two sides to every story and ours was we were well justified and stand by our decision .