PDA

View Full Version : Fourth of July colonial blast, coppers, trade ax, relics!

Pacivilwarluke
07-04-2015, 06:56 PM
Couldn'tve asked for a better way to spend my fourth of JuLy morning than digging colonial relics in the lowcountry of South Carolina! My first signal admist the iron was a KG II, worn but still a copper! I then found a watch key and an E. Arm field flat button, gilted. I dug two more buttons and then got a surprise, a trade ax/felling ax! Definetly a bucket lister for me! Then more buttons and a jaws harp, along with a Seashell shoe buckle frag! Dad got two huge musketballs, a button, and a horse bukcle. I then found another trash pit and got 60 pipe stems and an AWEOSME clay colonial marble! Also got a cut in 1/4 copper ( thought I had cut silver at first) 5 feet from the trash pit. Got a huge piece of black glass and pottery frags too. A great Fourth of July hunt, left at noon to go to the party. Be safe this fourth and hH everyone! :)

del
07-04-2015, 07:54 PM
great looking relics and coin Luke , I would love to see the other side and shape of the eye opening of the axe , can you see any touch marks on the side of he blade?? its a great piece , huge congrats !!!:clapping::clapping:

OxShoeDrew
07-05-2015, 07:43 AM
An entire display case in one hunt!! You found three bucket listers for me- pipe, marble, and ax. I hope the party was fun and you can get back to that site real soon.

Pacivilwarluke
07-05-2015, 09:01 AM
great looking relics and coin Luke , I would love to see the other side and shape of the eye opening of the axe , can you see any touch marks on the side of he blade?? its a great piece , huge congrats !!!:clapping::clapping: thanks Dan!! :) here's a picture of the eye and what looks to me like a B touch mark.

Pacivilwarluke
07-05-2015, 09:03 AM
An entire display case in one hunt!! You found three bucket listers for me- pipe, marble, and ax. I hope the party was fun and you can get back to that site real soon.

Thnaks drew! I hope to get back soon. I also have to get back to where I found the SC Milita button earlier this year. It was worth the poison ivy, spider bites, and mosquitoes! HH!

Pacivilwarluke
07-05-2015, 09:39 AM
Looking at the back of the poll, it looks like it was used as a hammer- I guess that was common?

HEAVYMETALNUT
07-05-2015, 09:56 AM
sweet hunt! seems like all the ornate buckles are busted.what a shame.was a great day for you guys!

Isaac
07-05-2015, 10:25 AM
Dang, amazing haul :wow:

Bucknut
07-05-2015, 01:34 PM
Wow those are amazing relics!

MangoAve
07-05-2015, 02:20 PM
Nice finds. I wonder how many of those axe heads I found are legit old. I thought they all came from loggers as I have found 5 in the same area of 4 cellar holes clustered. They were all different shapes tho. The copper looks like it says 1785, but that's from a picture.

I should have u show me how to hit a trash pile and find good stuff. There's just so many targets it's so hard to differentiate what's what and what's iron in those things. Almost gets you discouraged sifting thru iron nails when no structure was there.

Pacivilwarluke
07-05-2015, 04:52 PM
sweet hunt! seems like all the ornate buckles are busted.what a shame.was a great day for you guys!
It is a shame- that buckle would've been a heart stopper! I think it's becuse when they're fancyier, they had weak points and snapped more often than "utilitarian" buckles. Thanks!

Pacivilwarluke
Dang, amazing haul :wow:
Thanks bud!

Pacivilwarluke
Wow those are amazing relics!
Than you!

Pacivilwarluke
07-05-2015, 05:10 PM
Nice finds. I wonder how many of those axe heads I found are legit old. I thought they all came from loggers as I have found 5 in the same area of 4 cellar holes clustered. They were all different shapes tho. The copper looks like it says 1785, but that's from a picture.

I should have u show me how to hit a trash pile and find good stuff. There's just so many targets it's so hard to differentiate what's what and what's iron in those things. Almost gets you discouraged sifting thru iron nails when no structure was there.

thanks! It depends on the type of ax. I think you're on to something with 1785, it's a KG II which is 1720s to 1760s, I think it's 1735.

It it is discouraging, but worth it. I'm not sure what machine you swing but I swing the at pro. In those tashy areas obviously the smaller coil will preform better. What I do is listen to every signal- I turn off all discrim and listen to the machine gun chatter.anything that peaks above 40 in the chatter I'll dig, sometimes it's iron junk, sometimes it's a nonferrous target. The copper I dug was a 50s signal ( normally 70s-80s) because of the iron around it. You'll get the hang of it the more and more you do it. Honestly, I normally don't do great at the first time I hit a site, first I get a feel of it and then I know how to hit it. GL!!

kpmoose
07-05-2015, 06:08 PM
Great 4th of July hunt Luke.:thumbsup01: Congrats on the great finds. Good advice on how to attack the trashy areas too.

Lodge Scent
07-05-2015, 06:25 PM
A fine hunt for sure! Hard to pick out my favorite from that pile of goodies.:congrats:

BTV Digger
07-05-2015, 08:28 PM
Great hunt Luke! Particularly love the ax, awesome find! I'm originally from the Palmetto State, and my folks live in the LC just north of Savannah. Never had a chance to hunt there, but lots of amazing history. Small coil is definitely the way to go in those trashy areas. I do exactly the same, go all metal mode, turn down the discrim and listen to all the machine gun chatter to pull out the tougher targets.
Congrats.

John

MangoAve
07-06-2015, 07:06 AM
I think it's 1735.

It it is discouraging, but worth it. I'm not sure what machine you swing but I swing the at pro. In those tashy areas obviously the smaller coil will preform better. What I do is listen to every signal- I turn off all discrim and listen to the machine gun chatter.anything that peaks above 40 in the chatter I'll dig, sometimes it's iron junk, sometimes it's a nonferrous target. The copper I dug was a 50s signal ( normally 70s-80s) because of the iron around it.

Guess the pic was good enough to get a close date.

Thanks for the info on how to hit the trashy areas. The TR came with a 4" nugget coil but I have never used it but only to try it on the machine when I first got it. I never carry it around with me, though. It's home sitting in a drawer. So far the trash pits I fount I had my 9.5x5.5 (which I use normally) and I could hear the machine gun chatter. Yeah, I know the DD isn't the same as a 4" CC, or the 5"DD that NEL makes. I kinda hear the iron when it's discriminated out. I just avoided the spot like the plague.

Pacivilwarluke
07-06-2015, 10:39 AM
Great 4th of July hunt Luke.:thumbsup01: Congrats on the great finds. Good advice on how to attack the trashy areas too.
Thanks! It was tough but worth it! HH!

Pacivilwarluke
07-06-2015, 10:39 AM
A fine hunt for sure! Hard to pick out my favorite from that pile of goodies.:congrats:

thank you!

Pacivilwarluke
07-06-2015, 10:41 AM
Great hunt Luke! Particularly love the ax, awesome find! I'm originally from the Palmetto State, and my folks live in the LC just north of Savannah. Never had a chance to hunt there, but lots of amazing history. Small coil is definitely the way to go in those trashy areas. I do exactly the same, go all metal mode, turn down the discrim and listen to all the machine gun chatter to pull out the tougher targets.
Congrats.

John

Thanks! SC has so much histiry, definetly worth detecting here! I hunt south of Charleston- it's a great mix of history around there, from early colonial to civil war! HH!

Pacivilwarluke
07-06-2015, 10:42 AM
Guess the pic was good enough to get a close date.

Thanks for the info on how to hit the trashy areas. The TR came with a 4" nugget coil but I have never used it but only to try it on the machine when I first got it. I never carry it around with me, though. It's home sitting in a drawer. So far the trash pits I fount I had my 9.5x5.5 (which I use normally) and I could hear the machine gun chatter. Yeah, I know the DD isn't the same as a 4" CC, or the 5"DD that NEL makes. I kinda hear the iron when it's discriminated out. I just avoided the spot like the plague.

It'd probably be worth a hit with a smaller coil. If there's old "trash" there's a good chance of old treasure! :) HH!

GA1dad
07-06-2015, 12:06 PM
Holy Cow,, that's a great bunch of finds!!

Bell-Two
07-06-2015, 03:22 PM
Wow nice KG and I love the axe. I would re-handle it that woul make an awesome display piece hanging on the wall!

Isaac
07-06-2015, 06:03 PM
What Tony said!!!!

CTTodd
07-06-2015, 06:50 PM
That's a lot of targets great targets.

Pacivilwarluke
07-06-2015, 07:24 PM
Holy Cow,, that's a great bunch of finds!!
Thank you!!

Pacivilwarluke
07-06-2015, 07:25 PM
Wow nice KG and I love the axe. I would re-handle it that woul make an awesome display piece hanging on the wall!

Ive contemplated that, I'd like to once I put it through eectrolysis. It would look great above my relic cabinet!

Pacivilwarluke
07-06-2015, 07:26 PM
That's a lot of targets great targets.
Thanks, there's sommuch area to cover, I could work this site for years and still pull relics.hh!

GW3736
07-07-2015, 04:42 PM
Luke glad to see you and your dad are still tearing it up. Congrats on more great finds.

Pacivilwarluke
07-07-2015, 05:23 PM
Luke glad to see you and your dad are still tearing it up. Congrats on more great finds.

Hey Gene! Welcome to AD! I hope you'll like it here, it's great. Hope you've been still finding the oldies! Nice seated in your profile pic- quite the early one!!