PDA

View Full Version : July 4th with Todd & Lynne * cellar holes* sand cast counterfeit KGII *buttons

HEAVYMETALNUT
07-05-2015, 10:12 AM
the 3 of us hit some cellar holes.Todd had a great day in my opinion. Lynne got a fatty IH 1863.Todd will post I'm sure and I got a sand cast counterfeit KGII. Often we find these larger back portions of buttons (on right side) at cellar holes.I believe they are like the blow hole buttons.I think the gas got trapped in these and resulted in a poor sealing of the 2 pieces.the one on right is the back portion.front is gone.todd dug one same size as one on right complete yesterday at a colonial cellar hole.i dug these 2 pieces later in the day after his.i noticed while cleaning the button on the left that it's a cuff sized version.hollow 2 piece as you can see from side view it's ready to split open.do these pre date the blow holes for this reason?

Lodge Scent
07-05-2015, 10:21 AM
Nice digs Dave. Interesting button. Love those counterfeit coppers.

Bucknut
07-05-2015, 01:36 PM
That's an interesting counterfeit! I would not know that is was anything but the real deal.

MangoAve
07-05-2015, 02:37 PM
Nice bunch of finds, Dave. Seems she's getting good at wherror to put the coil. I need to get a hot site and have the gf along so she can find stuff, too. I was told I just need to find a good site and she'd go. A lot of my list are not places I have been to so therefore can't deem it hot or not.

I wonder what defines the counterfeit as sand cast type. I think I have only seen one in person. That gilt button. Wonder why those have a quarter moon missing.

HEAVYMETALNUT
07-05-2015, 03:38 PM
Nice bunch of finds, Dave. Seems she's getting good at wherror to put the coil. I need to get a hot site and have the gf along so she can find stuff, too. I was told I just need to find a good site and she'd go. A lot of my list are not places I have been to so therefore can't deem it hot or not.

I wonder what defines the counterfeit as sand cast type. I think I have only seen one in person. That gilt button. Wonder why those have a quarter moon missing.
Jim the quarter moon missing is because the tombac button is broken.they hold up well in underground conditions but I think the metal itself is brittle.i find many tombacst that are broken

kpmoose
07-05-2015, 04:38 PM
Nice hunt Dave. Do you you know what the piece in the middle is?

Pacivilwarluke
07-05-2015, 04:50 PM
Awesome stuff Dave! The question you pose is something I've wondered. I've dug ones like that at colonial sites too, in PA and SC. I can't provide an answer though.

HEAVYMETALNUT
07-05-2015, 10:32 PM
Nice hunt Dave. Do you you know what the piece in the middle is?
not sure .

i was thinkin possible musket brass? not positive though

del
07-06-2015, 02:52 AM
congrats on the counterfeit copper Dave , you sure the small button is hollow and no pewter that's cracking in half ??

i was thinkin possible musket brass? not positive though

yes , I'd bet that's an end of a trigger guard

MangoAve
07-06-2015, 07:11 AM
Jim the quarter moon missing is because the tombac button is broken.they hold up well in underground conditions but I think the metal itself is brittle.i find many tombacs that are broken

Apparently I didn't realize what the word tombac (tomback) meant. It was a brittle and cheap alloy with high copper content which is why it breaks often. Umm... the only thing it I wasn't thinking it was a tombac button. The ones I have seen were all plain. And the back to those buttons are specific.

GA1dad
07-06-2015, 12:12 PM
Nice digs!!

Bell-Two
07-06-2015, 03:29 PM
Nice counterfeit George, sweet buttons too.

OxShoeDrew
07-08-2015, 01:47 PM
Congrats on the finds Dave...counterfeits seem rare to me. That date looks tantalizingly close to being seen.

The Rebel
07-09-2015, 08:25 PM
Good to see ya posting Dave. Always love to see what you guys find.