PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas on this medallion?

BTV Digger
07-05-2015, 07:58 PM
Found this medallion, or badge earlier this evening. The back is blank and rang up with a high VDI on my F2 (brass or copper most likely). Any ideas? No words, just a pine tree with a farm scene (cow etc). I'm thinking early 20th century, or perhaps late 19th century, but some quick online searching didn't offer much help. Found in the woods in an old rock-wall-lined field. Cellar hole was about 100 yards away. Thanks in advance for any help.

John (BTV Digger)

Pacivilwarluke
07-05-2015, 08:21 PM
Incredible find John! That appears to be a Vermont veterans badge. It's got part of the Vermont state seal in the circle. Probably civil war vet. That's a great piece! Here's one similar.

BTV Digger
07-05-2015, 08:41 PM
Incredible find John! That appears to be a Vermont veterans badge. It's got part of the Vermont state seal in the circle. Probably civil war vet. That's a great piece! Here's one similar.

Thanks for the ID Luke! That helps out tremendously, and gets me pointed in the right direction.

John

del
07-06-2015, 01:49 PM
very nice piece John :clapping::clapping:

Great Id Luke :notworthy:

GA1dad
07-06-2015, 02:45 PM
23 minute ID,,, that IS awesome!!

OxShoeDrew
07-06-2015, 03:03 PM
23 minute ID,,, that IS awesome!!Awesome ID Luke and even better AWESOME find John!!:yes: I bet there are places on top where the hoops broke off...no?

BTV Digger
07-06-2015, 10:14 PM
very nice piece John :clapping::clapping:

Great Id Luke :notworthy:

Thanks Dan.

BTV Digger
07-06-2015, 10:19 PM
Awesome ID Luke and even better AWESOME find John!!:yes: I bet there are places on top where the hoops broke off...no?

Yeah you're right Drew and thanks for the complement. Turns out I was able to find a guy who collects Vermont Civil War/GAR/Sons of Veterans memorabilia down in Maryland and contacted him through a Vermont Civil War veterans/war club. He's got full webpages of stuff, with my badge on the bottom of this page (http://vermontcivilwar.org/museum/gibson/gar.php). He contacted me via the Vermont organization and estimated it was from around 1920 which makes sense. Apparently there was no makers mark, so even for the expert the date was an estimate. Anyway, always cool to track down an ID on an item. 30 years ago it would've probably taken me months to figure it out.

John

Ravenuts
07-10-2015, 06:54 PM
I am salivating at those finds..(sigh).....I have yet to find anything older than the 1920's. Those medals blow my mind!

Skamaniac
07-12-2015, 08:50 AM
I think investigating and identifying a find is as much fun as finding them (well, almost). What a great item to find.

BTV Digger
07-12-2015, 09:57 PM
I think investigating and identifying a find is as much fun as finding them (well, almost). What a great item to find.

My sentiments exactly and thanks for the complement. If an item has writing on it (button/badge/tag etc) my mind immediately starts a turning.

John

BTV Digger
07-12-2015, 09:58 PM
I am salivating at those finds..(sigh).....I have yet to find anything older than the 1920's. Those medals blow my mind!

Don't despair. With a little research I'm sure you can crack into the 1800s in no time.

John