PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Silver And Coppers

angellionel
07-11-2010, 10:08 PM
Saturday

On Saturday I attempted to detect at a Connecticut park but the rain and thunder cut my detecting short. I called it quits after digging up a 1920-S mercury dime and a corroded large cent. I just didn't like the sound of that thunder. :shocked02:

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2010/July/silverandcopper_071010.jpg

Sunday

During the week I had made plans to meet up with midas and detect at a MA town common. We met early this morning and worked the common for several hours. I managed an 1892 Barber dime and a 1917 merc. We then decided to hit a nearby field but we had to leave after about 15 minutes as there was a baseball game about to take place. I was able to dig up a Roosevelt dime and a corroded Draped Bust cent during that time though. :happydance01: I haven't been able to make out a date yet. :confused:

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2010/July/drapedbustlargecent_071110.jpg

There was another town common we had discussed hitting, so we headed there after leaving the field. We worked the common for less than an hour before midas had to leave. I did manage two mercury dimes from that common and then headed back to the one we had worked during the morning. It turned out to be a good decision as I managed another four silver coins - a 1902 Barber half, which caught me by surprise, a 1903 Barber dime, a 1944 Washington quarter, and another Roosevelt dime. I also dug up another corroded large cent.

It was now time to head home, but I made a quick stop to the field and detected for another thirty minutes, picking up a mercury dime before leaving.

My total silver take for the day - 10 coins.

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2010/July/silvercoins_071110.jpg

I can't make out a date on the large cent, but it sure was fun digging it up. :cheesysmile:

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2010/July/largecent_071110.jpg

HH!

del
07-12-2010, 02:32 AM
wow what a great couple of hunts , that barber half is a purdy one , i think your swaying George to the dark side , he made me stop at a park on saturday for about an hour just to see what he would find . :lol: :lol: congrats again Angel :clapping:

randy
07-12-2010, 06:28 AM
Wow, what a haul as usual, congrats.

Epi-hunter
07-12-2010, 10:20 AM
That large copper is toast :shocked04: but that barber half is beautiful! :yes: I continue to be amazed at how many of those you can pull out of the ground.

That 1944 quarter would have gone into my clad pouch without a glance. :shocked04: They sure can come out looking black.

coinnut
07-12-2010, 10:24 AM
Look at all that sweet silver :lol: Nice half and they always get you by surprise :yes: Them coppers are toast :rofl: But they must be recovered :cheesysmile: Nice bunch of hunts and some good old silver!!

catskillcomics
07-12-2010, 11:20 AM
Great Hunt Angel, you really have some great parks to go to.. you're killing the silver.. and I've yet to find a seated or even a 1/2 dollar of any kind.. either I need to step it up a notch, or start shadowing you :lol:

angellionel
07-12-2010, 11:28 AM
wow what a great couple of hunts , that barber half is a purdy one , i think your swaying George to the dark side , he made me stop at a park on saturday for about an hour just to see what he would find . :lol: :lol: congrats again Angel :clapping:

:lol: :lol:

He is starting to suffer from the silver fever. :cheesysmile: You will have to keep him out at the cellar holes for a longer period to help him recuperate. :lol:

Wow, what a haul as usual, congrats.

Thanks, Randy!

That large copper is toast :shocked04: but that barber half is beautiful! :yes: I continue to be amazed at how many of those you can pull out of the ground.

That 1944 quarter would have gone into my clad pouch without a glance. :shocked04: They sure can come out looking black.

It has been a good year for half dollars - six Walkers and five Barbers. :yes:

The 1944 quarter was only about two inches deep in soil that had been spread near the road. :shocked01: The tone and numbers screamed silver to me though. :lol:

Look at all that sweet silver :lol: Nice half and they always get you by surprise :yes: Them coppers are toast :rofl: But they must be recovered :cheesysmile: Nice bunch of hunts and some good old silver!!

I just can't catch a break with the coppers dug up at the parks. They tend to be in very poor condition. :crying02: It's a letdown to dig deep for one of those babies only to see them in such a bad state.:bummer: But don't get me wrong.... I do love finding them. :smitten:

Great Hunt Angel, you really have some great parks to go to.. you're killing the silver.. and I've yet to find a seated or even a 1/2 dollar of any kind.. either I need to step it up a notch, or start shadowing you :lol:

Thanks, Scott! That old park you and Aaron have been hitting recently should yield some seated. Don't give up on it! In fact, I would drive out there to help you find them. :drool:

ProPointer
07-12-2010, 02:27 PM
I'm sick and tired of seeing all this silver. I need to find some. :bummer:

Ill Digger
07-12-2010, 11:04 PM
:thinkingabout: I don't know how you do it...:dontknow:...but I gotta figure it out :yes:
Thats like 2 or 3 months worth of silver for me....not including the half .
Awesome as usual :thumbsup01:
Congrats :grin:

HEAVYMETALNUT
07-13-2010, 07:08 AM
:shocked04: :confused: :shocked04: :confused: :shocked04: :drool:

rsarge1
07-13-2010, 08:40 AM
wow you sure do have some great places to hunt, i wish we had some od stuff like that around here .

wtg great hunt

sarge