PDA

View Full Version : Now that's a good start !

Restoring Your Finds
07-08-2015, 04:02 AM
Hi all,

I am spending the Summer back in France. Went out 3 times so far. The first time, I just couldn't dig at all. The ground was as hard as rock. No matter what I would do or use, I would only take chips out at best.
Then, we drove to my wife's cousin. Went out again, and found a couple of coins (early 20th century) and a nice buckle, probably 14th/15th century.
We finally drove to my mother-in-law's place in the South. Went out for 1h 1/2 yesterday evening. And there it was... :drool:

A Celtic silver obol from the Tolosates (or Volques Tectosages) tribe ! It dates back to the end of the 2nd century BC. Last year, I had found a similar coin, from the very same tribe. Same design but twice thicker. It was a silver drachma (My avatar here). Now I have both the drachma and the obol ! YES !

Happy hunting to all !

OxShoeDrew
07-08-2015, 05:30 AM
It boggles the mind what can be found :shocked03:
You find a 700 yr old buckle and it doesn't even get a picture....because you found somthing much older! :lol:
Do you know what the design is on the coin? and is anything on the back? Truly remarkable!

MangoAve
07-08-2015, 07:04 AM
Drew already asked the necessary stuff. Amazing find tho. Too bad I couldn't get a few months off work to spend the summer in something like Italy and go after those ghost towns they got. I'm sure something really old would turn up along with no modern trash.

Tony Two-Cent
07-08-2015, 09:29 AM
Now THAT is an amazing find! :notworthy:

A silver coin that is over 2,000 years old! Just think about the people who had that coin in their hands and what their lives were like. It truly sends your imagination soaring. That's what I love about this hobby!

:perfect10:

GA1dad
07-08-2015, 10:08 AM
Wow,,, I can't even get my mind around finding something that old,,,, GREAT FIND!!

Full Metal Digger
07-08-2015, 10:15 AM
Sort of makes our mercury dimes seem trivial doesn't it? Congrats. Is the picture on the coin a star?

donald sutphin
07-08-2015, 11:46 AM
Shucks fellas i cant even get out of brunswick md. The oldest thing i ever found was pair of dirty stinky socks that hid from the wife in her dresser drawer and got chewed out for it . All jokes aside it would be totally unreal to hold a peice of history that old like tony said and wonder who was the last to touch , for why was it misplace and the culture at that time. It is mind boggling that we have all these other people before us that we seem to know something about because of scripture , scholars and text books but to me we will never know unless we were there. Just my thought. That again is a heck of find .

wisconsin digger
07-08-2015, 01:05 PM
Not much more can be said great finds and great history WD

RIdirtdigger
07-08-2015, 03:57 PM
Holy crap, that's an incredible find, I would love to go to Europe one day and dig but that's just a pipe dream at the moment. Great piece of history you saved. Congrats on a fantastic coin!

Lodge Scent
07-09-2015, 09:31 PM
That is beyond cool! Can't wait to see what else you get this summer.

Digger_O'Dell
07-09-2015, 10:05 PM
Yep, those Euro guys sure got it good when looking for the really old coins/artifacts! Just saw a documentary this morning about an old English village still in existence much like it was when first settled around 450 AD! Would love to make a detecting trip there, for sure!
Finding something like this would top the bucket list:
Minted by King Offa of Mercia (part of current England) some time between AD 760-795
Value: about $750,000

Restoring Your Finds
07-10-2015, 03:00 AM
Thank you all guys !

Unfortunately, the reverse is worn and smooth. Also, as you can see, the coin was not well centered when cut. Here is a pic of a very nice one (found on the Internet, not one of mine) showing more of the design. As you can see, on the obverse, there is a cubist head. On the reverse, there is a cross with axes and ellipses in its quarters.

Now, here is the 14th/15th century buckle :

I'll do another post as I went out again 2 days ago... 17th/18th, 15th/16th century coins... roman coins and possibly a roman ring. :) (I am not that great at dating rings) Nothing in a great shape but still a few nice things.

Thanks for your comments guys. I really appreciate it !

HH to all !

del
07-10-2015, 06:06 PM
that coin is so small and its amazing how old it is , congratulation on a very unique coin. :notworthy:

Sort of makes our mercury dimes seem trivial doesn't it?

:lol::lol: Thats it Dave the merc gods aren't rewarding you with any more "trivial" silver !:rofl:

Ronandari
07-10-2015, 06:42 PM
That is amazing :omg: I may end up in Bulgaria this summer and initially I had thought that I wouldn't take my detector but I may have to change that decision. Congrats on a super find.

Ron

Epi-hunter
07-10-2015, 08:46 PM
I can't even imagine it.... just amazing :shocked04:

Digger Don
07-12-2015, 06:32 AM
Wow, The age of that coin and the history behind it is mind boggling :wow:

don in ny
07-12-2015, 09:32 AM
You may not want to go detecting once you get back to the US. Great find.

Restoring Your Finds
07-13-2015, 06:29 AM
You may not want to go detecting once you get back to the US. Great find.

As I once told you... Everything lies in the context. You know how ecstatic I was when I found my first CT copper, my 1696 shilling, my Barber Half and even my 2nd Large Cent with you ! Just to name a few ;)