PDA

View Full Version : WW1 relics on the beach, even an ID disc!

Pacivilwarluke
07-09-2015, 08:33 PM
Today the family and I went to the beach in SC and I brought my detector because I knew there was lots of history in the area. I hit a WW1 hotspot in the upper beach section! I was finding lots of .45 rem umc 18 shells, which are WW1 era, commonly used in the m1911 pistol. I got a sketchy signal in the midst, and was surprised when I opened up the hole and the signal was in the 90s. I saw a large run, and thought it was a half, but it was too light to be a half. I brushed the sand off and saw US, and some more letters along with a hole and knew I had an ealry ID disc! I rechecked the hole and found the culprit, a 1912 Frankford rifle cartridge. I also dug a few other odds and ends, a pants button, and a U.S. great seal hat button! It was a fun day at the beach! When I went home I cleaned off the disc and was shocked to see USN and a name. It looks like Jesse Cook. I'm Beru excited to have unearthed such a personal piece of WW1 history. HH!

Bell-Two
07-09-2015, 08:48 PM
Wow that is a neat find, are you going to research the name to see what you can find out any information?

Pacivilwarluke
07-10-2015, 05:57 AM
Wow that is a neat find, are you going to research the name to see what you can find out any information?

Thank you! Yes, I am going to try to find the sailor, WW1 research seems harder than the civil war research I normally do. Hh!

MangoAve
07-10-2015, 06:46 AM
No more gilt on that naval button. Nice find with that tag. When it comes to bullet casings, I am always disappointed when I pull those up. Even if I researched and found one of the shotgun shells were for the first one made.

Yeah, I am guessing there is less information available on WWI. Whether it's not released to public or just not documented. The RW and CW have prob been researched to death so there exists a ton of info on them.

Pacivilwarluke
07-10-2015, 07:19 AM
No more gilt on that naval button. Nice find with that tag. When it comes to bullet casings, I am always disappointed when I pull those up. Even if I researched and found one of the shotgun shells were for the first one made.

Yeah, I am guessing there is less information available on WWI. Whether it's not released to public or just not documented. The RW and CW have prob been researched to death so there exists a ton of info on them.

Thanks! I'm normally disappointed when I dig shells too, however I was happy to have some military ones from WW1! There's less interst in it I guess, and that's why there's no database that I can find online. The civil war has a great one maintained by the NPS.

Pacivilwarluke
07-10-2015, 08:25 PM
Update on the tag- cleaned up its not US navy, but USNG, national guard! The soldiers name is Jesse C. To--- rank is coo- cook or corporal of ordnance and his unit was the 10th company which was stationed at the fort in hunting from 1917-1918. Wish I new his full name.

RIdirtdigger
07-12-2015, 09:42 AM
Great finds Luke. Love the id disc, that's a very personal item.

OxShoeDrew
07-12-2015, 09:56 AM
Darn, too bad about the last name! Nice research relics...and I hope you had a good time otherwise!

BTV Digger
07-12-2015, 09:50 PM
Great finds Luke. Love trying to find the history of the items I find almost as much as finding them, similar to your WWI tag. Keep us posted if you eventually find a name match.

John