PDA

View Full Version : Clothing To Avoid Tics - A MUST READ!

The Rebel
07-09-2015, 08:42 PM
Hey all. Been a while since I've posted. So far this year it's been pretty dull + for some reason got kinda burned out.

About a month ago was out hunting with Frank and noticed a tick in my leg while showering. About a week later was burning up with a 103 Temp for 3 days, so called 911 as my wife was not home & I was too sick to drive to the ER.

I went thru a battery of blood tests, chest x-rays, CT scan as well as a spinal tap. 8hrs later all of the tests came back negative but they figured I might have lyme (which takes a few weeks to show up), so to be safe was put on Doxycycline for 3 weeks as a preventative measure.

Took about 3 days to feel about 90% as when you get a spinal tap, you get a pretty good headache until the fluid around your brain is replaced.

Long story short, just spaying repellant on your pants does NOT keep those buggers at bay so I've invested in this and wanted to pass this along:

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=34323916&fg=Brand

http://www.columbia.com/mens-insect-blocker-cargo-pant-AM8014.html?dwvar_AM8014_variationColor=160&cgid=technology-insectBlocker#prefn1=genderGroup&prefv1=Men's&start=0

Thanks,
Roger

del
07-10-2015, 03:32 AM
Roger , thats terrible to hear about the Lymes . those ticks are nasty little things . My regiment for going out into the woods is this ...

I spray my clothes the morning of my hunt with Sawyer permethrin this stuff will usually make any ticks that get on you want to fall off quick as it can kill them. I also wear a shirt and pants combo called Bugskinz under my jeans and shirt. Cabelas sale these , they are very light (almost like a spandex) and any tick that gets under your jeans and shirt still can't get onto your skin. I've been wearing these for almost ten years now and have not found any ticks on me since I've been using them. thanks for bringing this up , I 'm sure a few will be helped out by this info.

Stay safe !

chief5709
07-10-2015, 04:39 AM
Great information!

MangoAve
07-10-2015, 07:00 AM
Long story short, just spaying repellant on your pants does NOT keep those buggers at bay so I've invested in this

Yeah. In 2011 just from mountain biking through the woods but having to walk it for a short distance I got a tick on the leg. Supposedly it takes 48 hour to show Lyme symptoms but less than 24 hours there was definitely a bull's-eye mark. I got the Doxy as well and boy did it kill my stomach taking that. The Dr didn't say there was a positive or not, however.

This year there were two times I had the issue with a tick on me. I think one time I just sprayed the bottom of the long pants but I saw one crawling on the ankle while I was in the shower. Umm... always take a shower within a few hours of getting out in the woods because you can get ticks off before they bite as well as washing any poison ivy your came into contact with. Now I do make sure to spray the ankles, lifting up the pants to do so, and haven't had an issue since. The other time it was on my torso below the ribs. I could feel the thing crawling, though, and remove it quickly. Obvi because I never sprayed between shirt and pants.

I did see the bugskins but I never got any. The smallest they carry is M and I take an S so I never invested in them. They are intended to be tight so it wouldn't work the way it should with me. One place I believe ticks frequent the most are ferns. Kinda hard to advise to stay away from ferns when they are prob the easiest growth in the woods to swing over.

Lodge Scent
07-10-2015, 07:54 AM
Great info. I picked up a set of Rhinoskins last year. They work great. Just be aware of the danger of added body heat when wearing them on hot days. I just purchased one of those evaporative towels (Frogg Toggs) to help manage overheating. Consumer Reports just did a study on bug repellants. Permethrin does help as does DEET. I'd wear a live chicken around my neck if it kept those *^&%$ ticks away ;)

OxShoeDrew
07-10-2015, 08:07 AM
Nice info guys. Yeah, Jeff that what's what I was wondering...it makes you hotter? I'm already a hot tamale while swinging :devilish::lol:
I tried the chicken, she kept getting tangled in my headphone cord.

The Rebel
07-10-2015, 09:43 AM
The smallest they carry is M and I take an S so I never invested in them.

Actually if you go to the manufacture's link they do come in small.

http://www.rynoskin.com/store/

The Rebel
07-10-2015, 09:46 AM
Thanks Dan. No idea if I actually have it or not. I'll probably get a blood test later this summer to see what if anything comes back.

Was looking at that Sawyer stuff, but felt I'd get better protection with the pants I bought.