PDA

View Full Version : First find with GTI 2500!!

Scratch
07-10-2015, 04:39 PM
I had to laugh at myself. Yes, the target registered as a coin and right under my front steps! 4 inches down and a quarter. Well, actually six inches down and a rare electrical knockout coin! :rofl:
To be fair, I think the GTI really nailed it. Just my inexperience with the great machine. I was all of 45 minutes into the first try with it.
To top it off, the AT pinpointer was shipped with a weak battery and I thought I broke it. Finally realized what it was telling me and a new Duracell made it all better.

del
07-10-2015, 06:19 PM
to be fair the knock outs are relatively close in size to a quarter and would "fool" a lot of machines or inexperienced hobbyists , chalk it up to a learning experience. shape and mass does play a large factor as to what our machines sample and then tell us , i wish you well with 2500 Scratch.

Dan

Scratch
07-10-2015, 08:31 PM
to be fair the knock outs are relatively close in size to a quarter and would "fool" a lot of machines or inexperienced hobbyists , chalk it up to a learning experience. shape and mass does play a large factor as to what our machines sample and then tell us , i wish you well with 2500 Scratch.

Dan
Thanks, Dan.

Epi-hunter
07-10-2015, 08:43 PM
Oh man, I hate those things....

But good luck with the 2500!

Ronandari
07-10-2015, 08:43 PM
I've dug up a couple of those myself.

Digger_O'Dell
07-11-2015, 03:29 AM
Yep, too many things mimic coins while underground such as that knockout, flattened cans, etc. Had a new one today that got me going a few times. Went detecting along lake Michigan and kept getting great coin signals only to find out they were "balls" of metal. Finally figured out that wave action breaks apart aluminum cans and must "roll" the pieces into those balls, such as waves do to stones to make them round and smooth. Worse than pull tabs!

Scratch
07-11-2015, 10:50 AM
This isn't my first time! Using my old Excal, I was hunting a beach on the Atlantic coast of Florida and found what I thought to be a cob coin. Turned out to be a piece of a zinc/lead sacrificial anode from a boat's prop shaft.

OxShoeDrew
07-11-2015, 12:23 PM
I'd dig that thing...and definitely at 6in or more. :yes: When I look at my garbage at the end of a hunt most of it is round. Keep it up!

Digger Don
07-12-2015, 06:29 AM
Your not going to dig the good stuff with out digging the bad stuff. LOL
We all do it.